It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User
Tyrosine and Adderall

I have been trying to find information regarding the use of Tyrosine and Adderall together but have found very little. Just wondered if anyone knows if this combo is safe? My logical mind says ask the doctor but most doctors are so negative about natural products that I don't know if I would be given a correct answer.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #2

szarkam HB User
Re: Tyrosine and Adderall

Not really sure, have your searched the net?

"Free Spirit" is usually a good source of info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarkam
Not really sure, have your searched the net?

"Free Spirit" is usually a good source of info
I have searched the net and found one website that actually said that tyrosine enhanced Adderall and thus resulted in the ability to lower the dosage. This was all I was able to find. I would like more info than just that one site.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Hey,
I personally would not combine the adderall and tyrosine. Not at the same time of the day anyway. Would definantly do the tyrosine alone, or the adderall for one dose and then later the tyrosine.

With the amount of l-tyrosine used is in the high range, (what you would need it to be at for treatment of ADHD) some people become energized, more focused, but some people get side effects from too much tyrosine like headaches or anxiousness. I wouldnt be suprised if that happened to someone while they were on a stim med & took l-tyrosine in addition.

If you must stay on the meds or are just wanting to taper off slowly and let the tyrosine start working I'd start by taking the meds in the morning, l-tyrosine after school, then a little at bedtime. Only give l-tyrosine to those who dont have the side effect of being VERY alert, these people might have trouble sleeping with a after dinner dose.

L-Tyrosine should be taken on an empty stomach at least an hour after dinner (preferably 2 hours)

When combining tyrosine in theraputic levels with adderall i would definantly want to be in contact with a nutritionalist or a good pharmacist whos knowledgeable of supplements. Don't give adderall and the l-tyrosine in the same dose.

There are combination products with low enough amounts of a variety of ingrediants that are better to take when you are also going to continue medications.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User

Free Spirit,

I have to confess, I did go ahead and try the Adderall and Tyrosine together and I believe you're right that's it not a very good idea. I didn't really take them at the same time but within a few hours of each other. Tyrosine when I first got up on an empty stomach and then the Adderall an hour or so later. It did seem to speed up my heart rate and my head felt a little weird. That's why I decided to quit taking it until I got more information about the combination. But I have to say, I've noticed a lifting of my spirits when I take the Tyrosine. It may just be a placebo effect as I know supplements usually take a while to begin working.

I know everyone is different and requires different dosage amounts but what is a ballpark range of mg's for Tyrosine when taking for ADHD? The product I bought is in 500mg capsule and is recommended one a day.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Tyrosine is not only good for ADD, but also depression. So lifting your spirits is a rather nice side effect when taking it for ADD.

The doses for children would be between 200mg-500mg daily, unless this dose has been tried without any success.

For adults it is between 500-1,500mg daily.

It will take a while for any supplement to work its best but its not impossible to notice some good effects the first time you take it, (this is rare of course). But, you may have very low levels of l-tyrosine.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 01-15-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Closed Thread