It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Doctors only talk to parents

Many doctors only talk to the parents when they are diagnosing a child with ADHD.

Then they don't even ask the child any questions much less really observe them properly. These doctors just take the parents word that the child has all of these "symptoms" This is very dangerous!! Of course all parents do the best they can but some of them have problems of their own, are stressed, over-worked, depressed, etc etc and some of these parents may have a low tolerance to normal childhood behaviors. Because of this they may exagerate their childs negative behaviors leading the doctor to give a diagnosis of ADD.

When testing always make sure the doctor spends a lot of quality time with the patiant in order to observe and get accurate information from the child rather than just the parents.

If a doctor does not want to speak to the child find a new doctor!!!

When treating ADD the doctor should talk to the child about side effects/what they think about the treatment/ if they like it or they dont like it. Rather than asking the parents! Of course parents should mention to the doctor any side effects they have noticed too. If your childs doctor doesnt talk to your child about their treatment plan, find a new doctor!

Old 01-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #2

szarkam HB User
Re: Doctors only talk to parents

The neurologist spent over an hour with my daughter, and she found mostly hyperactivity and impulse characteristics, she did not suggest meds at that time.
We have since done the modified diet and the Becalm'd seems to help - it took about 5-6 weeks, but there is a good deal of improvement. we go back to the doc in Mar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

[QUOTE=* Free ~ Spirit *]Many doctors only talk to the parents when they are diagnosing a child with ADHD.QUOTE]

Our pedi-shrink spends much more time with my son than he does with me. I have to ASK for time alone if I have things I want to discuss out of my son's hearing.

Old 01-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Great that you both seem to have somewhat responsible docs working with your children!!

Old 01-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Hey, "free", I've got a quick question for you.

You seem to be the closest we've got to a nutritionist on this board, so thought you might know. Do white spots under kid's fingernails mean anything? I see that my 13yo ADHD child has them now. I had them as a kid, too, but can't remember if they decided they were like small bruises or a possible mineral deficiency.

Do you know?

Old 01-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #6

rainonwindow HB User

The doctor spent over an hour with my daughter too. She also went to the school to observe her as well. The diagnosis was made only after several visits and the school visit was done.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #7

szarkam HB User

That is the key - to have people you can trust

Old 01-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Hey, "free", I've got a quick question for you.

You seem to be the closest we've got to a nutritionist on this board, so thought you might know. Do white spots under kid's fingernails mean anything? I see that my 13yo ADHD child has them now. I had them as a kid, too, but can't remember if they decided they were like small bruises or a possible mineral deficiency.

Do you know?
Could be a variety of things, might be that your 13yr old accidently smashed their fingers.

Could be a zinc deficiancy

Or possibly pyroluria

Closed Thread