It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #1

3boys4mom HB User
alternative treatment for 5yr old boy

My son is 5 yrs old & was diagnosed with ADHD at 3 1/5 at his preschool. We have been to the doctor, neurologist, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc. Before he started Kindergarten we tried a couple differnt medications, one a stimulant & the other was not. Neither worked for our child and we decided to take him off (plus I felt he was too young). Now, half way thru the school year he is having lots of problems accademically and will most likely be held back next year (I am o.k. with this, it will be good for him). Anyways, the reason I am writting is to find out what else I can do to help him. I would like to try to change his diet completely, cutting out anything that may make him impulsive, easily distacted, fidgity, etc. He is not that hipper, just can not focus, does not remember anything 2 minutes later, is in his own world, etc. We recently took him to a learning & testing center were they stated he has ADHD & Auditory Processing Deficit, they would like to do EEG Biofeed back but it is very expensive and I don't know much about it. Anyone have any ideas for me or can recomend any books or websites that will give info on what food to cut out or maybe some nutritional supplements that really work??? Thanks for listening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #2

tdcaporaletti HB User
Re: alternative treatment for 5yr old boy

Hello! I'm the mother of two daughters 9 and 7. I just made an appointment with a psychologist for my younger, Olivia, to be tested for ADD. Her appts. are in Feb. She and her sister are homeschooled and she behaves very much like your son. Academically, she is almost two years advanced, but she always seems to be distracted. Her school work load should only take about 5 hours, but instead it takes all day until dark. In between every problem or sentence, she stops to play with her eraser, doodle or just look around. I have cut sugar out of her diet, but have yet to see the benefits. She was never allowed very much sugar anyway. I just ordered a nutrient called BeCalm and will be starting her on that tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best. I'll let you know. If it proves successful, I'll still take her to be tested, but I want to avoid medications if possible. I want her to be happy. I feel like everyone is always saying "pay attention, Olivia" or "Hurry up" because even outside of school, she is just as distracted. She'll be the last one out of the car, or into the house- whatever the case may be. And when it's time to brush teeth and get ready for bed, her sister will be done and in bed before Olivia has even put the toothpaste on her brush. She's missing out on alot of just "play" time because all the other necessary things of the day take her so long. You might be interested in checking out the wesite: All Kinds of Minds developed by Dr. Melvin Levine. I've read a bit, and have found it very interesting. Well, good luck with your son. Tanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys4mom
My son is 5 yrs old & was diagnosed with ADHD at 3 1/5 at his preschool. We have been to the doctor, neurologist, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc. Before he started Kindergarten we tried a couple differnt medications, one a stimulant & the other was not. Neither worked for our child and we decided to take him off (plus I felt he was too young). Now, half way thru the school year he is having lots of problems accademically and will most likely be held back next year (I am o.k. with this, it will be good for him). Anyways, the reason I am writting is to find out what else I can do to help him. I would like to try to change his diet completely, cutting out anything that may make him impulsive, easily distacted, fidgity, etc. He is not that hipper, just can not focus, does not remember anything 2 minutes later, is in his own world, etc. We recently took him to a learning & testing center were they stated he has ADHD & Auditory Processing Deficit, they would like to do EEG Biofeed back but it is very expensive and I don't know much about it. Anyone have any ideas for me or can recomend any books or websites that will give info on what food to cut out or maybe some nutritional supplements that really work??? Thanks for listening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
(female)

BabblingBrooke HB User

My daughter is exactly the same way, a complete daydreamer, easily distracted, always on another planet. She has always been this way and I never really put much thought into it. As she has gotten older and has more homework though, it has become a real issue , things that should take 15-30 minutes were taking 3 hours. It was becoming overwhelming having to sit there and make sure she didn't play around between each problem. Our whole night would be dedicated to homework. She has always been smart and able to do the work, yet the focus was nonexistant. Her teacher had a meeting with me and suggested she was ADD, this of course blew my mind with her being such a good student. But her teacher told me that my daughter just stares out the window all day or gets up and walks around and that she is constantly on her to pay attention, only to have her daydreaming a moment later. She suggested I make an appointment with our doctor, but my husband and I have always believed there are natural cures for everything, so instead of her being diagnosed we have put her on Energique Homeopathic drops recommended for ADD by Dr. Allen Buresz. These should be taken with a diet of natural foods, no preservatives, no additives, ect. I recommend going to the library, there are many books on treating ADD naturally by changing the diet. My daughter has only been on the drops for about three weeks, but she has not brought home any homework at all, meaning she is getting it all done in class which is amazing to me. I haven't talked to her teacher about her progress yet, though, I am waiting at least another month. I want the teacher to tell me she's seen an improvement before I tell her we didn't put my daughter on meds. Natural medicine seems to be a controversial issue with some, so I want to have the proof before I'm shot down. Hopefully we have great success as meds will be our last resort. Good luck and remember to be patient, it'll take time but will be worth it!

Old 01-16-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I wish that I had considered alternate schools when my son was as young as yours. Like Montessori, for instance.

Attending very competitive, highly rated public schools has been soul-destroying for my 13 year old. The damage to his self-esteem has been immense. I regret not getting him out of it at a younger age (and am torn what to do at this stage).

This wasn't really your question, but is something that I'd like for you to consider. Just my $.02...

Old 01-16-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Inactive

Palms1 HB User

Index.html There are a few Montessori schools out there that go all the way through High School. If you let me know where you live, I can look it up for you since I am not allowed to name websites). Maybe some of the damage to your son's self-esteem can be "undone" by placing him in a Montessori School until he finished school. I totally agree with you that "highly-rated" schools can be very much of disadvantage for ADHD kids since the pressure often is just too much. I have just taken my 8 year old out of public school and placed him in a Montessori School. It is very expensive, but he is worth it to me and I plan to have him in Montessori all the way through High School. If it means that my son can remain off drugs because I am not pressured by that school to place him on drugs and because they are willing to understand, that he has potential to succeed, than it's worth it. The teaching method there seems to be ideal for ADHD kids. They are not restricted to sit at their table for 7 hours a day like public schools require them to do, which is impossible for hyperactive children. So far so good.

Last edited by Palms1; 01-16-2004 at 09:39 AM.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Thanks for your reply, psalms1.

I do know of a Montessori school here that goes through high school. I really like the idea. But, there are some mighty big downsides. Number one is that my kids are adamantly opposed to changing. 13yo (the one who needs it the most) says he will run away if I try to make him go to a different school. Other important factors are cost and travel time. This particular school costs about $12,000/year plus fees. For 2 kids, we're looking at $25-30,000 per year. Ouch! Also, the school is so far that we're talking about 45 minutes to an hour each way for commuting. Either that, or we move closer in. Not an easy decision to make...

Old 01-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #7

3boys4mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcaporaletti
Hello! I'm the mother of two daughters 9 and 7. I just made an appointment with a psychologist for my younger, Olivia, to be tested for ADD. Her appts. are in Feb. She and her sister are homeschooled and she behaves very much like your son. Academically, she is almost two years advanced, but she always seems to be distracted. Her school work load should only take about 5 hours, but instead it takes all day until dark. In between every problem or sentence, she stops to play with her eraser, doodle or just look around. I have cut sugar out of her diet, but have yet to see the benefits. She was never allowed very much sugar anyway. I just ordered a nutrient called BeCalm and will be starting her on that tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best. I'll let you know. If it proves successful, I'll still take her to be tested, but I want to avoid medications if possible. I want her to be happy. I feel like everyone is always saying "pay attention, Olivia" or "Hurry up" because even outside of school, she is just as distracted. She'll be the last one out of the car, or into the house- whatever the case may be. And when it's time to brush teeth and get ready for bed, her sister will be done and in bed before Olivia has even put the toothpaste on her brush. She's missing out on alot of just "play" time because all the other necessary things of the day take her so long. You might be interested in checking out the wesite: All Kinds of Minds developed by Dr. Melvin Levine. I've read a bit, and have found it very interesting. Well, good luck with your son. Tanya
Thanks for the adivce. I would like to here if the BeCalm works, I have heard of it before but haven't tried it. There are so many different things out there Im not sure which ones to try! Good luck to you and make sure to reply about the BeCalm!!!!

Old 01-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #8

3boys4mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabblingBrooke
My daughter is exactly the same way, a complete daydreamer, easily distracted, always on another planet. She has always been this way and I never really put much thought into it. As she has gotten older and has more homework though, it has become a real issue , things that should take 15-30 minutes were taking 3 hours. It was becoming overwhelming having to sit there and make sure she didn't play around between each problem. Our whole night would be dedicated to homework. She has always been smart and able to do the work, yet the focus was nonexistant. Her teacher had a meeting with me and suggested she was ADD, this of course blew my mind with her being such a good student. But her teacher told me that my daughter just stares out the window all day or gets up and walks around and that she is constantly on her to pay attention, only to have her daydreaming a moment later. She suggested I make an appointment with our doctor, but my husband and I have always believed there are natural cures for everything, so instead of her being diagnosed we have put her on Energique Homeopathic drops recommended for ADD by Dr. Allen Buresz. These should be taken with a diet of natural foods, no preservatives, no additives, ect. I recommend going to the library, there are many books on treating ADD naturally by changing the diet. My daughter has only been on the drops for about three weeks, but she has not brought home any homework at all, meaning she is getting it all done in class which is amazing to me. I haven't talked to her teacher about her progress yet, though, I am waiting at least another month. I want the teacher to tell me she's seen an improvement before I tell her we didn't put my daughter on meds. Natural medicine seems to be a controversial issue with some, so I want to have the proof before I'm shot down. Hopefully we have great success as meds will be our last resort. Good luck and remember to be patient, it'll take time but will be worth it!
I will check on the Energique Homeopathic drops, sounds like it may be making a difference with your daughter. I went to the bookstore today to try to find a good book with ideas on how to change his diet but couldnt find any good ones. Im not the best cook, so I need to find something that I can understand, were it breaks it down for me. I don't really know were to start. Guess I will keep looking....

Old 01-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #9

3boys4mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
I wish that I had considered alternate schools when my son was as young as yours. Like Montessori, for instance.

Attending very competitive, highly rated public schools has been soul-destroying for my 13 year old. The damage to his self-esteem has been immense. I regret not getting him out of it at a younger age (and am torn what to do at this stage).

This wasn't really your question, but is something that I'd like for you to consider. Just my $.02...
Thanks for the $.02 !!!! I had never thought of Montessori Schools. Your right about the public schools. My son (who is only 5) is getting very discouraged and hard on himself. He gets upset when he can't finish his work and feels like just giving up. He is missing out on a lot of social time in school because he has to finish is paperwork while the other kids get to go to circle time and read or whatever. He is off track now, but when he goes back I am meeting with the school psychiatrist & his teacher to come up with ways to help him instead of him always getting left behind... hope it works!

Old 01-17-2004, 07:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
I am meeting with the school psychiatrist & his teacher to come up with ways to help him instead of him always getting left behind... hope it works!
Best of luck to ya!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:27 PM   #11

szarkam HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the adivce. I would like to here if the BeCalm works, I have heard of it before but haven't tried it. There are so many different things out there Im not sure which ones to try! Good luck to you and make sure to reply about the BeCalm!!!!
I started my daughter on Becalm'd in mid Nov, didn't notice much of a change on the beginning, but when she went back to school after Xmas break, the teacher called me after the first week and said she noticed an improvement, and now I am noticing it as well. It seems to have taken about 5-6 weeks to "kick in" but it was worth the wait. Try it but give it up to 2 mos, before you might see a change.

Good Luck - hope this helps.

BTW - never mentioned to the teacher what I was giving her - just said we were doing modifications to her diet. It is really none of their business anyway

Last edited by szarkam; 01-21-2004 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added additional comments

Old 01-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarkam
I started my daughter on Becalm'd in mid Nov, didn't notice much of a change on the beginning, but when she went back to school after Xmas break, the teacher called me after the first week and said she noticed an improvement, and now I am noticing it as well. It seems to have taken about 5-6 weeks to "kick in" but it was worth the wait. Try it but give it up to 2 mos, before you might see a change.

Good Luck - hope this helps.

BTW - never mentioned to the teacher what I was giving her - just said we were doing modifications to her diet. It is really none of their business anyway

I'm very happy that the beCalmd is helpful for your daughter. Did you ever add any other supplements?

I do miss my beCalmd, I might end up getting rid of basic cable so I can buy my beCalmd.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
(female)

BabblingBrooke HB User

Quote:
I will check on the Energique Homeopathic drops, sounds like it may be making a difference with your daughter. I went to the bookstore today to try to find a good book with ideas on how to change his diet but couldnt find any good ones. Im not the best cook, so I need to find something that I can understand, were it breaks it down for me. I don't really know were to start. Guess I will keep looking....

I just got the book "ADD Nutrition Solution- A Drug-Free 30 Day Plan" by Marcia Zimmerman, a certified nutritionist specializing in AD/HD.You may want to check this out, it sounds to me the kind of book you are looking for. It has lots of info on foods and ingredients that should be avoided and what can be substituted, Meal plans, recipes, supplements that are recommended. I just started reading it, but it seems pretty step-by-step, which for me is the easiest to follow. Hope this helps!!

Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #14

szarkam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
I'm very happy that the beCalmd is helpful for your daughter. Did you ever add any other supplements?

I do miss my beCalmd, I might end up getting rid of basic cable so I can buy my beCalmd.

I also have her taking a liquid calcium/magnesium supplement - she takes a tablespoon everyday for 3 mos, and then 5 times a week for another 3 mos. a and then we are supposed to stop.

I also cut way back on sugar snacks and things that contain red dye.

I was the Becalm'd wasn't so expensive, but I will give up something else in order to afford it if it helps

Old 01-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #15

Amiem HB User

Talk to some one from a health food store. I had lots of luck with them. I also bought a book from there called the ADD & ADHD Diet. The book was great!! My son turned out to be wheat intolerant. He ate nothing with wheat in it for about 3 weeks. Then I let him have pizza and a few hours later, he was a nut!!! He could not walk straight and he was talking out of the side of his mouth. This nuttiness lasted about 8 hrs. He is doing well now thanks to diet and a Chiropractor doing Bioset treatments. Good luck!! Amie

Closed Thread