It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
Inactive

serenity111 HB User
is this with you forever???

i was detected with A.D.D. and dyslexia when i was 10. im now 32. i was wondering if ADD is something that you have forever? back then they didnt know how to treat this. im not on any meds for this, but i am on meds for depression. in some ways i feel i suffer from this even now. how can they test you? or find out that you have this? basically i have a hard time constrating on one thing, i never listen to people when they are speaking to me, without interupting, i can cover 15 different topics in a matter of minutes---i can follow, but of course others cant. just wondering if anyone can relate, or help answer my ?'s. thanx

Old 01-16-2004, 05:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: is this with you forever???

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity111
just wondering if anyone can relate...?

I can definitely relate! At 46, I'm still very much ADD {I also suffer from depression. Can't help but wonder if the depression stems from - or is at least aggravated by - untreated ADD. Guess that's another topic!}

In answer to your question, it's my understanding that many people do "outgrow" their ADD. Also, many people learn to compensate such that it's no longer a major problem.

My experience seems to be the opposite. I was smart enough to be able to compensate for my inattention in school. But, the anxiety I used to keep myself alert in school has left me functioning WAY below my potential in the workforce and in social situations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

ADD is lifelong. Many children are misdiagnosed with ADHD when in fact they just mature at a slower rate. These are the ones who outgrow their ADD.

Depression can cause ADD symptoms. Having untreated ADD does not cause depression. Of course, emotional abuse/trauma can cause depression (like if someone is called stupid, lazy, dumb, on a daily basis because of problems related to ADD)

Old 01-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Having untreated ADD does not cause depression. Of course, emotional abuse/trauma can cause depression (like if someone is called stupid, lazy, dumb, on a daily basis because of problems related to ADD)

Hmmm...

I kind-of think that a highly intelligent person like myself (she says with a grin!) can find it pretty darn depressing to not be able to follow a simple conversation and to make constant stupid mistakes in the work-a-day world because of my inattention.

I don't need someone else to tell me I'm stupid. I do that for myself all day long. What's depressing to me is that a person as smart as I am cannot function at a higher level.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Well thats not a very optamistic outlook. Someone who is not depressed and has ADD could play their strengths rather than dwelling on their weakness. Being depressed is nothing to be ashamed of, but you can't really blame "ADD" for your depression. I mean, there could be another person in your exact situation, but not depressed, and they might be saying "its annoying not being able to follow the conversation, but hey i sure do come up with way more creative ideas than the others working here" (or something else positive)

Old 01-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Well thats not a very optamistic outlook.

True. OptImism is rarely encountered in those of us who suffer from depression.

You will note that I "wondered" if there were a connection between untreated ADD and depression. I did not make it as a statement of fact.

* do not invade privacy by asking for personal info the member had not already voluntarily offered.

Thanks
mod1

Last edited by Administrator; 01-17-2004 at 11:33 AM.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
True. OptImism is rarely encountered in those of us who suffer from depression.

I realize that it was just a note on your part. And I was just noting that its possible for people who have just ADD, treated or untreated, to have optimistic outlooks on their lives while those who have depression tend to focus on the negative.

Sure, not being able to do certain things can make someone feel a little down, but most would be able to focus on the good things that make them who they are.

EVERYONE in this world is bad at some things, and needs improvement in some areas. And EVERYONE has their strengths.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #8

tri_lingual_one HB User

It stays with us all our lives. Don't be so down about it though. ADD has some major plusses. We can multi task. Not everyone can do that. For the most part we also have better intuition. Listen to the person above and play on the strengths. Go see a counselor trained and educated with helping people with ADD. He/She can help you work around the challenges.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #9

apinecone HB User

Depression can cause ADD symptoms. Having untreated ADD does not cause depression.

I'm having trouble parsing this and get muddled up trying to figure it out because of the { un not not fact [==> true]} construct. Seriously. Could you please restate what you actually believe? It's just that it's an important premise that I'm not sure about and it is a matter of wonder to me.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #10

brainf0g HB User

Yes AD/HD can cause depression. In fact, it causes depression in many AD/HD individuals. It can be due to psychological issues from the constant problems of AD/HD, but it is usually due to the biology.

Depression results from the Limbic system in the brain. In order to have good Limbic function the frontal lobes need to regulate it properly. When the frontal lobes (more specifically the prefrontal cortex) aren't "doing their job", the Limbic system works twice as hard and depression sets in.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #11

brainf0g HB User

Many ADDers "think negatively". Thinking negatively has stimulating properties (which ADDers are constantly seeking) and positive thinking has relaxation properties. Same with depression. This is the reason many people with depression and AD/HD see more "bad things" than good.

However, thinking negative impacts the limbic system negatively and makes it 'overwork', which can indirectly cause AD/HD symptoms. So in some respects it's a catch-22. Probably because it's not completely understood scientifically. So far....

Regarding your question. The frontal lobes go through a 'final' growth spurt in the late teens to early twenties. If you have AD/HD symptoms past your early twenties, it is with you for life.

Last edited by brainf0g; 06-09-2004 at 09:41 PM.

Closed Thread