It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #1

DolphinBlu HB User
My son's meds aren't working...

My 12 yr. old son was diagnosed with ADD a year ago. His Dr. started him on a low dose of Imipramine. I was OK with that, since I didn't want him on any kind of stimulant drug. He also is a very emotional child and has trouble controlling his emotions, so I thought that an antidepressant is what he needed. Also, I have depression and it runs on both sides of the family.
Anyway, he has said that the meds aren't working any more. His grades are going down, in Math especially. His teacher says that she can tell that he has ADD because he cannot keep focused. He is not hyper at all, he just says that when he tries to do school work "his brain thinks of other things".
We are going to the Dr. tomorrow to discuss this issue. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better medication that I could bring up to the Dr.
Plz help.

Thanks,
DolphinBlu

Old 01-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: My son's meds aren't working...

Why not try some alternative methods?

biofeedback

behavior therapy

nutritional interventions

etc etc.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 12:06 AM   #3

kathinthehat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinBlu
My 12 yr. old son was diagnosed with ADD a year ago. His Dr. started him on a low dose of Imipramine. I was OK with that, since I didn't want him on any kind of stimulant drug. He also is a very emotional child and has trouble controlling his emotions, so I thought that an antidepressant is what he needed. Also, I have depression and it runs on both sides of the family.
Anyway, he has said that the meds aren't working any more. His grades are going down, in Math especially. His teacher says that she can tell that he has ADD because he cannot keep focused. He is not hyper at all, he just says that when he tries to do school work "his brain thinks of other things".
We are going to the Dr. tomorrow to discuss this issue. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better medication that I could bring up to the Dr.
Plz help.

Thanks,
DolphinBlu
Dolphin,
Firstly I can totally relate to you!
12 years old is typically a late age to be diagnosed with ADD...but my son was also diagnosed; at the age of 11. His therapist wanted to treat him with either Wellbutrin, or Ridlin...I decided to go the alternative route. I put my son on a smoothie powder called "Learning Factors Smoothie Mix" by Natural Factors, 60mg of Ginkgo biloba,
50mg of B complex vitamin, and 1 Tbsp of Hemp oil (provides the 3,6,9 omega oils.) I will also on occasion put a greens powder in his smoothie.
I started this in September of 2003, his first report card was in Nov. 03
His marks had greatly improved, as did his attitude towards school, his peers (he was very shy,) and the dreaded homework. He also managed to get the same teacher he had last year, and she said 'Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it, he has turned over a whole new leaf!" Yes there is always the off chance that he had matured, or grown out of it, but his Dad sometimes admits he also suffers from ADD, and believe me when he jokes about it I lived the truth...I was once married to it..LOL
So I can only hope I was of some help to you!
Kath

Old 01-20-2004, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Hi Dolphinblu!

Imipramine was my 13yo's first medication as well. We saw maybe a little improvement in the hyperactivity, but not much else.

If you are still opposed to the stimulants, the other medication options that I know about are Wellbutrin and Straterra. Wellbutrin is commonly prescribed as an antidepressant, but has been shown to also be effective for some people with ADHD.

My son is currently on Straterra. It took several months to have more than just a minimal effect, but it is definitely helping now. He is less hyper, is more socially accepted by his peers, and has a better self-esteem. He still has so much trouble concentrating, though,that we are now very cautiously, very slowly adding a low dose stimulant.

As far as the math, maybe a tutor would help???

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 AM   #5

DolphinBlu HB User

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me alot to think about. At least now I can go into the Dr.'s office with a few suggestions that you all have given me.
About the Math and a tutor... yep, he has had a tutor almost all year.
I will let you know what we come up with.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:30 AM   #6

DolphinBlu HB User

We went to the Dr. and he prescribed Strattera. My son took the 1st dose yesterday and this morning he said he had trouble sleeping last night. Is that a side effect that goes away after awhile? The Dr. gave us an 18 day sample pack, so we didn't get all the info that you would get as if you went to the pharmacy as far as side effects. Just curious... I did a search on the internet, but couldn't find any good sites on this drug.
Anyone with experience with Strattera please let me know what to expect. Thank you so much.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

My son doesn't sleep well for about 2 nights after each increase in dosage. For him, that's as long as that side effect has lasted!

Closed Thread