It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User
Anyone Familiar with Yerba Mate?

I browsing around on the internet and found a tea called "Yerba Mate" that is a natural stimulant to the central nervous system with no side effects such as jitters. It's supposed to help with concentration and alertness however ADHD wasn't mentioned on the website. I've never heard of this product before and just wondered if anyone else had and if so, their experiences.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Anyone Familiar with Yerba Mate?

Did a search for this Yerba Mate and what came up was diet sites and sex sites. "Lose weight quickly with Yerba Mate" "Improve sex drive with Yerba Mate"

Apparently there are many forms of yerba mate. Different sites list different ingrediants as being part of yerba mate.

This is definantly not something that I would experiment with, nor would I give it to children.

Do you have the ingrediant list for the Yerba Mate tea that you were looking at?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

Raes*Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Did a search for this Yerba Mate and what came up was diet sites and sex sites. "Lose weight quickly with Yerba Mate" "Improve sex drive with Yerba Mate"

Apparently there are many forms of yerba mate. Different sites list different ingrediants as being part of yerba mate.

This is definantly not something that I would experiment with, nor would I give it to children.

Do you have the ingrediant list for the Yerba Mate tea that you were looking at?
I didn't find any of those sites. I found one that sold the tea but it's main focus was the healing properties of the tea and how the indians in the South American rainforest have been using it for centuries. I went to my local herb shop and they carried the tea and the owner told me that it has become very popular with both young and old alike for energy. The product I bought was 100% organic naturally caffeinated Guayaki Yerba Mate tea. The bag says the product provides mental clarity, sustains physical energy, improves digestion, promotes balance in the body and contains antioxidants. And, it's the national drink of Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay. They actually have a website where you can tour to see how they work with the locals in helping to perserve the rainforest.

When doing a search I did find one website that was the Yerba Diet but didn't find anything relating to sex. I'm sure it's become popular as people are looking for a replacement for ephedra. I would never give anything like this to my daughter without more information. Actually, I was interested for myself.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #4

thenextguy HB User

Yerba Mate is good stuff. There hasn't been much scientific research done on the stuff (there is some, but not a great amount), but the annecdotal evidence is promising. From what I've heard it is very popular in South America and it is believed that the consumption of Yerba Mate is partly responsible for low obesity rates in the region. It also has a stimulating effect on the brain. Much of this comes from the caffeine, but there are believed to be other things going on as the caffeine in Yerba Mate doesn't seem to cause the jitters that come from other caffeine sources such as coffee. There are some reports that claim Yerba Mate may contain a possible human carcinogen, but, again, nothing has been confirmed.

Closed Thread