It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

starr21 HB User
Question Adhd symptoms???

My brother in law has recently moved in with a girl who has 2 daughters. I met the one only a couple of times. She seemed a little strange, but it began to get worse. She all of a sudden started to wet the bed again. Also she would be at school and all of a sudden see a bright red flash and then have a bowel movement in her pants. They told me she was diagnosed with adhd. I find it really hard to believe that it would cause her to have the bright flashes of red light. It seems more to me like a possible molestation. Sorry if i posted in here but i thought those of you who have a child with adhd could tell me if your child has those symptoms. Also he seems to favor the older one and not the one with adhd. I'm just so worried for this little girl and don't want to go around pointing the finger if their are those of you who have a child with those symptoms from adhd. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

PatriciaB HB User
Re: Adhd symptoms???

Hi! My 14 year old daughter has ADHD but she has never had a problem with wetting the bed nor did she ever see anything like the red flashes that your BF's daughter has experienced.

To my knowledge (and experience), those are not typical symptoms of ADHD.
That little girl should probably be checked out by an MD.

I'm glad she seems to have you looking out for her, good luck to both of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Doctors are lazy. Most every child with any emotional or behavioral problem will get diagnosed with ADHD. Your suspisions are correct however. This is NOT ADHD. In fact it sounds to be something much more serious!

Old 01-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive

Palms1 HB User

It is usually due to stress in the childís life. Such stress could be due to a big change, such as a new baby in the home, moving or a divorce. Children who are being physically or sexually abused may also develop enuresis.

If a child wets the bed after having been dry at night in the past, a doctor should do an evaluation. The bed-wetting may be a sign that stress or a disease is causing the problem.

But...there may be a link to ADHD. Researchers at the University of California at Irvine conducted the study. New research may link bed wetting to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The study released shows that children with ADHD are two to three times more likely to have bedwetting episodes and bowel control issues than children that do not suffer from ADHD. Earlier studies have suggested a link between these problems, but this is the first study to look at problems in children diagnosed with the disorder.

Last edited by Palms1; 01-31-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

starr21 HB User

Thank you all for your input, i'm so hurt to think that maybe he might be abusing that girl. I just can't find anything that would link that child having red flashes and then going to the bathroom in her pants.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Perhaps some sort of seizure?

Old 02-02-2004, 03:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

The flashes and loss of control over bowel movement indicate something in the direction of epileptic seizures, although a sudden onset of such "spells" could also indicate something more serious, in particular a growth in her brain.

She should really get a full health screening and tests to see what's going on with her brain.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 02-02-2004, 06:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Your description of the bright red flash followed by fecal incontinence makes me worry about the possibility of seizures in this child. I think a thorough neurological/psychological evaluation is in order.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

jnm3kds HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr21
My brother in law has recently moved in with a girl who has 2 daughters. I met the one only a couple of times. She seemed a little strange, but it began to get worse. She all of a sudden started to wet the bed again. Also she would be at school and all of a sudden see a bright red flash and then have a bowel movement in her pants. They told me she was diagnosed with adhd. I find it really hard to believe that it would cause her to have the bright flashes of red light. It seems more to me like a possible molestation. Sorry if i posted in here but i thought those of you who have a child with adhd could tell me if your child has those symptoms. Also he seems to favor the older one and not the one with adhd. I'm just so worried for this little girl and don't want to go around pointing the finger if their are those of you who have a child with those symptoms from adhd. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Did these things start after your brother in law moved in? I hate to say this but I think you are right with the molestation theory. She may be being molested. I have a few relatives that were molested and have read about it. Wetting the bed and bowel movements starting all of a sudden are both signs. Please have a talk with the girls mother and tell her what you think. Urge her to have the girl checked by her doctor. Don't keep quiet because you are afraid your brother in law or her mother will get mad at you, you have to think about this little girl.

Closed Thread