It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 05:17 AM   #1

airforcemom5 HB User
Question Add not ADHD..possible?

Good morning, I am new to this board and wonder if anyone can help me. I have a 15 year old daughter who is complaining that she can not concentrate in school. She says she doesn't want to go to school anymore because she is embarassed and feels like a dummy. She complains that she can't read and understand or remember what she read. I want to help her of course. Now, everything I have read regarding ADHD does not apply (the HD part). I do however have mental illness in the family, my 30 year old son is Bipolar. Does anyone have any thoughts? How do I proceed to help her?

Jeanette

Old 02-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Re: Add not ADHD..possible?

Could be a variety of things, but if she had *no* problems with concentration up until recently, then it's not likely to be AD/HD (with or without hyperactivity) since one of the criteria is that it needs to be present since before age 7.

With her age and a "sudden" onset of these difficulties, hormonal changes, mild depression, thyroid problems, lack of sleep or just general "teenage stress" sound like far more likely culprits.

A visit to your GP is in order to check for any physical causes, then if none are found her stress levels and mood may need looking at.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

In answer to your question whether it's possible to have ADD without the hyperactivity, the answer is definitely, yes! That's the difference between ADD (attention deficit disorder) and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). What you are referring to is commonly called "ADD-inattentive".

Now, whether or not your daughter has this is another story. As others have pointed out to you, ADD by definition must be present before age 7. It isn't uncommon, however, for us ADD-inattentive types to not be diagnosed until later in life. The symptoms of inattention were present before age 7, but because we don't have the hyperactivity, we don't attract teacher's attention and so no-one says, "hey, there may be a problem here". If fact, ADD-inattentives are often the best behaved kids in the class because they sit there quietly and daydream...

So, could your daughter have ADD that wasn't diagnosed until this point? Sure, she could. As others have said, though, it's also possible that something else is going on. Depression and anxiety, for example, both affect the way people learn in much the same way as ADD does - that is, depression and anxiety make it difficult for kids to pay attention, to retain information, to organize themselves, to have sufficient motivation, etc.

It may be that your daughter is depressed. Sometimes kids only feel comfortable telling people about the trouble they're having in school and not that they're feeling down. Talk to her some more. Ask her about her mood in general. Ask her how long the trouble with reading and school has been going on. Then, you might want to see a counselor to help you sort out what to do next.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #4

smurfra HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcemom5
Good morning, I am new to this board and wonder if anyone can help me. I have a 15 year old daughter who is complaining that she can not concentrate in school. She says she doesn't want to go to school anymore because she is embarassed and feels like a dummy. She complains that she can't read and understand or remember what she read. I want to help her of course. Now, everything I have read regarding ADHD does not apply (the HD part). I do however have mental illness in the family, my 30 year old son is Bipolar. Does anyone have any thoughts? How do I proceed to help her?

Jeanette
The first thing I would do is to have your daughter see a Psychologist or a Mental Health Professional to properly evaulate her and conculde a dagnosis. Before the day of the appointment, gather all of her report cards and anything from her teachers. In the Mental Health field the word ADD has not been used since the mid 80's, but changed in to ADHD with 3 sub types. Here is a list of symptoms from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision:

A. Either (1) or (2):
(1) inattention: six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:
(a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
(b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
(c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
(d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
(e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
(f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
(g) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
(h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
(i) is often forgetful in daily activities

(2) hyperactivity-impulsivity: six (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

Hyperactivity
(a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
(b) often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
(c) often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
(d) often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
(e) is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
(f) often talks excessively

Impulsivity
(g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
(h) often has difficulty awaiting turn
(i) often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)

B. Some hyperactive-impulsive or inattentive symptoms that caused impairment were present before age 7 years.

C. Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g., at school [or work] and at home).

D. There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorders, or a Personality Disorder).

Code based on type:

314.01 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Combined Type: if both Criteria A1 and A2 are met for the past 6 months
314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if Criterion A1 is met but Criterion A2 is not met for the past 6 months
314.01 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion A2 is met but Criterion A1 is not met for the past 6 months

I hope the above information helps you.

Old 02-28-2004, 02:19 AM   #5

gemcutterswife HB User

I didnt read all the replies but I did read your post, ADD without the hyperactivy(HYPO-activity) is more common in girls than add with hyperactivity. She's not a dummy and make sure you reinforce that, I remember leaving class one day getting in the car and thinking "wow there must be something wrong with me, I must have a learning disorder or something". That was the first time that I attempted college, one of several unsuccessful tries. My add never affected me in high school, it showed up in college--which is also fairly common, I had no clue what the problem was, that was 1996, it was only a couple of years ago I figured out what it must be. I didnt seek help until last October. And I have ADD without the hyperactivity. Hang in there and definitely get her some help, self esteem is so fragile at that age even when they're not dealing with ADD...good luck and take care

Old 02-28-2004, 07:13 AM   #6

rileigh HB User

HI THERE,
I AM FEMALE, 45 AND DIDN'T FIND OUT I HAD ADD UNTIL I WAS 40, I WISH SOMEONE KNEW WHEN I WAS YOUNGER, I HAD ALOT OF TROUBLE IN SCHOOL-
I COULD TELL YOU WHO WAS IN SCHOOL THAT DAY RATHER THAN WHAT I LEARNED.......NOW THAT I KNOW WHAT I HAVE, IT MAKES ALOT OF SENSE, JUST WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IN SCHOOL, NOW I AM VERY GOOD AT WORK AND WHAT I DO, BUT I COULD HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE AND HAD A BETTER JOB......BEOFRE I FOUND OUT WHAT I HAD. I TOO THOUGHT I WAS DUMB, I COULDN'T REMEMBER CONVERSATIONS I HAD. BECAUSE I WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY WERE SAYING........COULDN'T REMEMBER THINGS I READ.......COULDN'T PAY ATTENTION IF THERE WERE OTHERS AROUND........ITS A VERY HARD THING TO LIVE WITH......IM DIVORCED...LOVE TO GAMBLE, PAID BILLS LATE.........NOT ANYMORE, THOUGH I STILL AM BAD AT MONEY.......LOVE EXCITEMENT.........GET BORED VERY EASY........CHANGE MY MIND AT THE DROP OF A HAT jump around from one thing to another. never finish anything.......usually always late.......so on and so on........

Last edited by moderator2; 02-29-2004 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the board. Thank you.

Closed Thread