It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #1

LLinder HB User
Reality vs Fantasy in 8 yr old

I could use some help from experienced parents out there.

Our son, 8, was diagnosed with ADHD in first grade he's now in third grade. We've had success with medications and have made some adjustments here and there when he seems to need more or less medicine to stay on task.

Have any of you had issues of reality vs fantasy with your kids? For example, my son truly believes he's going to get all A's at school - even after we go over his tests each week and there are Cs, Ds and an occasional A. The same has happened with special privileges at home. He will get it in his head that he's going to play golf - even if we've never discussed it - and then will be extremely disappointed when we don't play. HIs teacher has mentioned to me a few times that his perception of reality is so different from others.

Could this be some other type of disorder?? He just seems so out of sync at times. It's upsetting and a little scary.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
Re: Reality vs Fantasy in 8 yr old

LLinder, my son is almost 8 and is in the second grade. He does the same thing quite often. Our son too is on meds. A good book to read is "Answers to Driven to Distractions." Toward to the end of this book this very topic is discussed.

It has to do with the way their brain processess information, or at least trys to keep with information. After reading this I learned that when my son starts making up some whoppers I gently remind him that he needs to slow his thinking down and remember what is true. I have told him that he is going to have to train himself to do this, but I will help for now.

I wouldn't worry, but definetly if you have not read this book get it and read it because it is full of helpful infomation about how a person or child with ADHD minds work. It has been my favorite book so far!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Re: Reality vs Fantasy in 8 yr old

This seems to be fairly common in children with AD/HD. Some who feel that AD/HD is part of the autistic spectrum have described this as a special kind of "impairment of imagination", namely the inability to separate imagination and reality.

Jacqui Jackson describes this very well in her book "Multicoloured Mayhem", in which she describes bringing up 3 "normal" girls as well as 4 boys who all have some autism spectrum disorder. Her second-youngest son Joe has AD/HD and has a VERY vivid imagination.

One of the examples she provides involves Joe sleeping over at a friends' house for the first time - he sneaks out into the shed, sees a variety of objects (first aid posters, tools, rust) in there and when he comes back inside, he tells tales of finding a gun, reading instructions onhow to strangle a child and so on. By the next morning, he is convinced that he has witnessed a murder.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 02-04-2004 at 05:23 AM.

Closed Thread