It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #1

IwillAlwaysBeMe HB User
Question side effects of not being medicated

i am 16 and a driver. i have been digonosed with ADD and have been taking stratera and aderal. i was first diagnosed with depresssion and was treated for that about 3 years ago, only recently i have be rediognosed with ADD and have been told that depression was a side effexct of the ADD. i however think that the depression had much more to do with my surroundings. i was in aschool that i hated and had just lost my best friend due to moving. i didnt really have any close frineds and i was quite shy. I now feel i have no need for the mediction any more but my doctor tells me that if i go off of it my grades will drop and she also said that if i go off of it and continue to drive the risk of my getting into a car crash will be 4x more likely, as well as the likely hood of me getting into a fatel crash. does any of this make sense to any one or have any experience? I need advice on what to do because my family is spending alot of money on this and i dont think that it is neccessary. Any help or thoughts on this would be greatll apreciated.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: side effects of not being medicated

Well, there are statistics that indicate that kids with unmedicated ADHD are much more likely to have auto accidents than are their peers who are either medicated or don't have ADD. That's what your doc was referring to.

But what I think I hear you saying is that you aren't sure that you do, in fact, have ADD. If that's true - if you've been incorrectly diagnosed - then the argument for medication is invalid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: side effects of not being medicated

If you don't want to take the medication then don't take it. It's not your doctors life, it's yours.

You may not even truely have ADD. It is misdiagnosed very often.

Closed Thread