It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #1

Aurora M. HB User
ADD went away and then came back?

A little about me: I'm 21 and a senior in college. I've had ADD for most of my life and I have struggled. I've never gotten special help since most of the "special" Learning Disabled tests all said I was too smart for me to be in an LD program (my IQ was apparently 125 in kindergarten). Through elementary and JR highschool there were always parent/teacher meetings and everyone was always watching me. In highschool whenever a teacher asked us to fill out an index card with things we thought they should know about us I always made sure I mentioned it. When I went to college though I kept it a secret because I didn't want to seem like I was making excuses and hiding behind a diagnosis. I also stopped taking my medicine (Dexatrine in elem. and JRHS and Adderall in HS) and I seemed to be ok. I didn't have much trouble, just the usual college procrastination and new found freedom thing, and it all turned out pretty well. Lately though I'm noticing myself slipping. It's taking me longer to do things than previously, like my mind is slowing down. I've always been aware that it takes me twice as long to get an answer than some (the only symptom I was ever able to distinguish myself) but it seems worse now. I'm also noticing myself spacing out (the space cadet symptom I was never able to notice) and I'll snap out of it then dwell on how I've missed some information. It happens when I'm working, watching tv, and lately when I'm driving. Is it possible that my ADD went away and then came back? Is it even possible?
Thanks for help and listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: ADD went away and then came back?

ADD cannot go away then come back. It is possible that you were misdiagnosed in the begining and just have a disorder that looks a lot like ADD but is not.

But... ADDers usually do well in new situations, then once the new situation gets old, it gets boring, and old symptoms return.

However........... the fact that you are noticing brand new symptoms that you have never had before is alarming. I would suggest you see a doctor for a full evaluation. Start with a full physical including blood tests, urine tests, and also possibly an EKG. Then if nothing is found move on to a full psych eval.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I agree with Free that you really should get a thorough evaluation, beginning with a physical.

No, ADD can't really go away and then return. However, you'll find that, if you do have ADD, you're better able to compensate in some situations than in others. As Free said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
ADDers usually do well in new situations, then once the new situation gets old, it gets boring, and old symptoms return.
If college was fun and interesting, you'd have been better able to compensate there especially with your intelligence. What's really deadly to those of us with ADD is the monotony of everyday life. It's very difficult to focus when we're not challenged. Of course, I'm sure the same is true for everyone, just more so when you have ADD.

So, get a physical and then think about a thorough psych evaluation. As you may have seen discussed several times on this board, depression is just one of many conditions that can mimic ADD.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #4

whoahtheretiger HB User

Hi Index. Since I was recently told by a doctor that I have mild ADD, they have put me on the medicine Wellbutrin. I just started taking it this week. Before I was taking Effexor because I have some social anxiety/shyness. Do you have any idea how well Wellbutrin helps with ADD or social anxiety? Because on the Wellbutrin XL website it only mentions helping with depression. Please write back if you can. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoahtheretiger
. Do you have any idea how well Wellbutrin helps with ADD or social anxiety?
Hi!

I do know that Wellbutrin is increasingly being prescribed for ADD. Wellbutrin works primarily on the neurotransmitter norepinephrine which is how the new ADD drug - straterra - also works.

From what I'm hearing, some people are getting quite a bit of benefit from Wellbutrin with regards to their ADD. Others say it didn't help that much.

I think it's definitely worth a try, especially since you have the other issues that it may help. It could take a few weeks before you see optimum benefit. Let us know how it works out for you...

Old 02-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #6

Aurora M. HB User

Thank you Index and Free Spirit for the advice. I know I really should go to the doctor because I know it's not just ADD anymore. We don't have insurance at the moment and as soon as I graduate I'm afraid the new insurance will drop me because I'll no longer be depentant. I guess that's why I'm hesitating (along with the fact that I don't like doctors).

I'm quite sure I was diagnosed correctly. There's really no question that I have ADD. The thing is whenever the neurologist asked "can you notice the medicine working? do you notice this? do you notice that?" I never could answer him. Until I watched a video in an education class. This guy was "teaching" a panel of teachers, parents/friends of the LD, school board members, and principals etc about what it's like to be LD. He started talking about how they could be listening to what ever was going on but looking everywhich way...and just as he said that I realized I was looking at all the stuff on the wall. Then I started paying attention and agreeing with all the other things he was describing, the fact that by the time we have the answer to a question the class could have moved on to the next one, and how we feel when teachers demand an answer (the snap and demand thing). I think that's when I really started to notice my symptoms.

I agree that I could be the new and exciting environment that made it feel like it "went away." I work as an assistant administrative assistant and whenever I'm there I always seem to finish my work in a timely and effective manner, but when I get to class it's the opposite. Thing is, it's not like I'm noticing new symptoms it's that I'm finally noticing the symptoms the neurologist was always asking about. Maybe it's because I'm getting older that I'm able to be more aware of it or it could be the recent depression I've been going through (brought on by other circumstances) that has caused me to dwell on it.

Sorry I talked so much. I just want to thank you for your help. I will go see a doctor as soon as it's possible, as I see there's no way to avoid it. Thanks so much again.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora M.
I will go see a doctor as soon as it's possible, as I see there's no way to avoid it.
You're welcome! Let us know how the doctor visit goes.

Closed Thread