It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #1

katieoh54 HB User
How to find right doctor for possible dx?

Hi,
My sister who lives in another state was dx'd with ADD.

We have similar symptoms/problems. I've taken several on line evaluations which test as having ADD. I don't know if there is any realiabilty in these.

I don't know what kind of doctor is best suited to dx and treat this condition. I don't have a primary doctor as we moved recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: How to find right doctor for possible dx?

Online tests are very unreliable. Even the inventory and "tests" doctors use to make the diagnosis can be unreliable.

It is best to start off with a family doctor. Get a full physical including blood and urine tests to rule out any physical problems. Then get a full psych eval to rule out all other possibilities before going for ADD diagnosis.

Have you had these symptoms all of your life? What are some of them?

After the full eval to rule out other issues you should make an apt. with a psychologist who specializes in ADD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #3

katieoh54 HB User
Re: How to find right doctor for possible dx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Online tests are very unreliable. Even the inventory and "tests" doctors use to make the diagnosis can be unreliable.

It is best to start off with a family doctor. Get a full physical including blood and urine tests to rule out any physical problems. Then get a full psych eval to rule out all other possibilities before going for ADD diagnosis.

Have you had these symptoms all of your life? What are some of them?

After the full eval to rule out other issues you should make an apt. with a psychologist who specializes in ADD.
Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it,

Yes, I've felt like this as long as I can remember.
I have poor concentration. When I read I can't read but a couple of lines before I'm jumping all over the page reading words randomly trying to get thru it then jumping back to where I started and so on. This is but one example.

I have low to no motivation. I can't stay focused on anything very long. I can't stand going to the movies because I know I can't get up and walk around while the movie is playing. Long plane flights are out of the question.

I'm over-whelmed easily. Can't tolerate change...sends me into a tailspin. It takes me many, many trys to get anything organized...if I ever do. I can't stand clutter so everything gets stuffed into closets, drawers, containers.

Those are just a few, certainly don't want to bore anyone to tears. But, I know something is drastically wrong and have known it my whole life.

It wasn't until my sister at age 50 was diagnoised that I've decided to try and look into this. She was put on Strattera and is beginning to feel better then she ever has. Her family really notices the change.

Again, thank you for your time.

Closed Thread