It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 01:55 AM   #1

ZeeMe HB User
Question Do you have Adult ADD?

I have not yet been diagnosed with ADD, but I have it - without a doubt. I've been mis-diagnosed with depression, or at least under-diagnosed, meaning I do have bouts of depression, but that's not the whole story.

I'm wondering what the experience is for those of you adults that have ADD. Is it common to experience bouts of depression with it? Were any of you first mis-diagnosed (or under-diagnosed) with Depression?

Assuming you weren't diagnosed as a child, what symptoms were you having that finally made you go in for a diagnosis? Did you KNOW what was wrong or did your doctor discover it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Re: Do you have Adult ADD?

Most people with AD/HD and similar problems who grew up in an area where AD/HD etc. was not diagnosed in their schooldays, especially if they have a high IQ and did not disrupt or severely under-perform in school, tend to get diagnosed when they go in for co-morbid problems like depression, anxiety or resulting social difficulties, although they will usually complain of concentration, organisational and memory issues as well.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
I'm wondering what the experience is for those of you adults that have ADD. Is it common to experience bouts of depression with it? Were any of you first mis-diagnosed (or under-diagnosed) with Depression?
Yes, yes, yes, yes for me!

I'm a good bit older than some of you so there was no such thing as ADD when I was a kid. It was called "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" in those days which, along with depression, wasn't something my parents would 'allow' me to have. Guess I showed them: I've been depressed for most of my life. Ha!

A few years ago, I consulted a counselor for my ADHD son. The first visit she said, "You know he got it from you, right?'' I almost didn't go back. From me? No way! The second visit, she said, "You are so ADD that I can't believe none of your other counselors have brought this to your attention". Actually, some had commented on how much I move, but I didn't tell her. I also didn't believe her for about a year and half. How could I have done so well in school if I was ADD? Not possible!

Eventually, I came to realize that I am ADD. And yes, this is true even when I'm not depressed. I learned early to compensate for it: I used anxiety and even panic attacks to keep myself focused in school. Unfortunately, this has been counterproductive in the workforce and I'm not working any where near my potential. I'm hopeful that now that I'm being treated for ADD that I can soon return to my chosen profession. The problem I'm struggling with now is that I absolutely cannot sleep on Concerta. Doc for some reason is uncomfortable with switching to a shorter acting version - I'm assuming she's worried about higher abuse potential.

Anyway, that's my story.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeMe
I have not yet been diagnosed with ADD, but I have it - without a doubt. I've been mis-diagnosed with depression, or at least under-diagnosed, meaning I do have bouts of depression, but that's not the whole story.

Assuming you weren't diagnosed as a child, what symptoms were you having that finally made you go in for a diagnosis? Did you KNOW what was wrong or did your doctor discover it?

yes i have been suffering from add since i was a teenager (26 now) but unforturnately my parents did not believe that mental disorders were serious and thought i would "snap out" of it....when i was finally moved out saw a doc and was diagnosed with depression. i have been on over 5 antidepressants over the past 5 years and just recently diagnosed with add..my depression was an underlying problem due to the fact i was not treating my add...
i knew what was wrong but my doctor refused to prescribe stimulants so i went to a psychiatrist. have been on 30mg. of dexedrine spanules daily now for two months and wow what a difference! i don't feel "high" like might one expect from an amphetamine..i am more focused, i feel like doing things again like going to the beach, hanging with friends, etc.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Inactive

Ardwinna HB User

So does ADD and depression come hand and hand? I know I've had depression for as long as I can remember, but ADD?
I always thought I wasn't smart when I would forget what I just read, or what we studied in class that day.
I thought isolating was from depression, not add. I hope I find the right medications to get my head out of the ground!

Sorry this post is pretty fragmented, but I think you all can relate as to why

Old 03-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
(male)

sodawater HB User

Most likely, if you do have ADD, you are very lucky to be getting diagnosed now. I too was misdiagnosed with depression in high-school, then college, and never got to the root of the problem. When I got successfully treated for depression, I felt cured, and as a result I didn't want to go back to see a therapist again because I felt like I'd failed. Big mistake. As a result, it took my life falling apart a bit to make me see that I really needed ADD treatment.
Nonetheless, its amazing how learning more about the disease/condition/character-traits (however you define ADD) and connecting with others can start to make sense of what you might've thought were just your own tragic idiosyncracies. It's made me much much more optimistic.

Also, to answer Ardwinna, the symptoms that made me address my ADD were mainly related to my own ability to meet goals I made for myself and to sustain effort over any period of time. This became deeply apparent to me as I struggled through my first 'adult' job and my first year in graduate school. Also, reading more about ADD and relationships (with friends, family, girlfriends, etc) really hit home. Pretty much all the same problems I experienced throughout adolescence and college, but that I couldn't really look at until they stood in the way of what I really wanted for myself, without parents, schools, bosses to blame. Too stubborn.....

Old 03-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #7

Just..Me HB User

LOL, when my son was DX with ADHD my Mom was looking at the results and she said.. so that is what is wrong with you... Evidently I drove my parents nuts being ADHD, before the DX was known. Depression... yeah, big time in high school and college and through out my early 20's.

My son is dealing with ADHD right now and does the depression thing too.

"If you don't control your mind, someone else will."
--John Allston

Old 03-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #8

missyob HB User

Hi.

I am 34 and always had a hard time with concentration, organization, relationships, ect....... I knew I was different but did not understand any of it. My mom said there was nothing wrong with me I was just being a disrespecful child. She thought that I would lose my homework on purpose just to make her mad.

I was diagnosed when my youngest sons kindergarden teacher sat down with me and talked to me about Kyle and how she felt he had adhd. (She has a son with adhd). I walked out of her classroom that day and called the school to complain about her!!!!

To make a really long story short, 2 of my 3 sons have adhd - Their dad had adhd and I have add. I would have never figured it all out if it had not been for that loving, caring teacher who took the time to help me through it all.

~ Missy

ps my mom has since given me lots of hugs and appologized for all the nasty things she said when I was little.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #9

missyob HB User

Hi Ya ADDDAD

Are you living my life? <smile>. I am a single mom and almost 2 years ago I uprooted myself and my kids from a great place in GA back here to upstate NY. Reasons unknown. I was in a great relationship with a wonderful guy and happy , the kids were happy but I could not stay there anymore. Ahhhhh the impulsive things we do.

Some advice for you hon - Get the help you need for yourself. Just like you I spent all of my money and time on helping my boys and neglected myself only to finally figure out that in the end I was really hurting them more.

We are what they have in life. We are their stablility. Growing up is hard enough and when we are not strong and well it hurts them. Having the responsiblity of raising children is hard enough - put the elements of single parenting and it makes it harder.

You are not a bad person, you dont suuuccck. You are just going through a very stressful time right now and you need to take care of YOU in order to take care of your children.

Just my 2 cents.

Big Hugs to you,

~ Missy

Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 AM   #10

fastplant HB User

It's funny how your parents' are all so similar to mine. I know I've had add for my entire life. Especially now that I'm reading up on it. (I plan on going to the Dr. real soon), but about 3 or 4 years ago I brought up the notion of it to my folks and they basically got very angry with me that I could even think I would have something like this. I was 20 years old and they were yelling at me! I basically brushed it aside since then, but now that I know more about it it's starting to make so many things make sense that never did before. I've always known I was depressed, but never so much that I thought I needed medication. I really think this is the reason and I'm hoping that the Dr. will be able to help me out.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #11

debicamp HB User
Angry Re: Do you have Adult ADD?

Well...I went through a divorce 4 years ago and thought I was depresed over that. I can not be happy feeling no matter what I do anymore. I am remarried to a wonderful man now but I am just sad and aggitated all the time anymore. I didnt do good in school either. I am 36 now.
I thought I have been depressed. I have been put on celexa, Wellbutrin and now Strattera. I couldnt take Celexa, or wellbutrin it made me sleepy all the time and I cant do that and work counting money (bank teller). And the sex drive was GONE !!I have been on Strattera about 2 1/2 weeks now and I cant really tell anything yet ?? I am waiting for this to work on me !!! IS IT EVER ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardwinna
So does ADD and depression come hand and hand? I know I've had depression for as long as I can remember, but ADD?
I always thought I wasn't smart when I would forget what I just read, or what we studied in class that day.
I thought isolating was from depression, not add. I hope I find the right medications to get my head out of the ground!

Sorry this post is pretty fragmented, but I think you all can relate as to why

Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #12

apriladd HB User

hello ,
im April and im 31 single mother 0f 3 living with ADD i found out about 4 months ago im taking Adderall 30 mg xr once a day

Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Hi April! Glad to have you with us!

Old 04-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #14

akiss4u HB User

I was misdiagnosed with bipolar from 2 seperate doctors. I found out last week I am truely ADHD and have been since I was born. I never could understand why I they said I was bipolar... I dont have mood swings or depression. I finally found a doctor who listened to me. I had my mother, my husband and a friend write letters on my behalf explaining what problems they noticed me having and how they felt it has affected my life. The reason I did this was because sometimes we dont see our own faults or problems. My doctor compaired these notes from the others with what I had to say and then tested me for everything under the sun. *You have to rule out any medical issues such as thyroid problems first... then you can begin to look at your psychological mind. Keep in mind you don't develope ADD as an adult!

Closed Thread