It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

shay34 HB User
Has anyone tried herbs such as.........

Hi you all. I have 2 boys, 7 and 8. One is just not focused in the classroom and the 8 year old is very hyper and not focused. I went to the health food store and a worker there recommended Buried Treasure for ADD along with extra calcium and magnesium. I stopped by a different store and the worker there recommended gotu kola, dmea, and ginko. Has anyone ever use any of these and found that they work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

PatriciaB HB User
Re: Has anyone tried herbs such as.........

hi Shay! I have an ADHD 14 year old daughter but we've never tried any of those "natural remedies" because it's hard to know whether or not they've been FDA approved and I don't really like to experiment with my kids!
If you look through some of the older threads in the ADD board, however, you will see where people have tried different health store products that they say worked for them.
You could always check with your pediatrician and seee if they have any recommendations. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaB
we've never tried any of those "natural remedies" because it's hard to know whether or not they've been FDA approved
Actually, no supplements are FDA approved. The FDA checks that their labels are in compliance with their regulations, but that's it! The FDA does not test supplements for safety and, in fact, manufacturers are not required to report to the FDA known injuries or illnesses related to their products. It's a bit scary!

Here is where you can read about this:
[url]http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-oview.html#getinfo[/url]
Especially read "Who has the responsibility for ensuring that a dietary supplement is safe?"

Old 02-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

What are the ingrediants in Buried Treasure? Calcium & Magnesium is helpful for some ADHD cases. So are the others but I wouldnt recommend them being used for a child (the gotu kola and ginko)

Just study up, get all your info and know the possible side effects.

The supplements that have been better tested and have more info available are generally what I would recomend starting with. Things like Omega3 or Flaxseed, L-Tyrosine, those types of things.

(I think someone asked me about the fish oil?? cant find the post now) Not really sure of what the question was but I think it was about contaminents? Its always good to call the company that makes it to be sure that it is properly cleaned and tested for contaminants.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #5

muddywaters HB User
Attention Free Spirit

You seem to have alot of knowledge on this subject, I have read so much about it, but it is so hard for me to soak it in, when I read from books, that I seem to jot alot down. One thing that bothers me is that there are so many advertisments out there, you do not who to beleive.
I am a school busdriver for the past 15 years and I would really perfer to stay natural if I could rather than being medicated. But my ADD seems to be getting worse. I'm married to a cancer survior,(two different types) in the past ten years....We live a conciderable healthy life, run three miles a day. Eat very little junk food, almost none. Most everything cooked at home, very llittle red meat, once every four months. We stay very active.
I have tried the natural way but maybe I was given the wrong things to try.
I weigh 129/ 5'5" 44 yrs old. Would you be able to tell me of some supplements to try, that I would get some results faster than 6 months. At this point I feel like I need some instant gradification. With all the kids in college, I try to keep the cost minimal, but right now we understand that "I NEED HELP"! Thanks for your help......

Closed Thread