It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

PatriciaB HB User
has anyone tried diet modification???

Hi! I've posted on this board a few times regarding my ADHD 14 year old daughter. She is on Strattera and doing well but I've wondered if changing her diet would help as well. I've heard all kinds of things like that you should remove all food colorings from their diet, you should give kids caffeine for hyperactivity, or that you shouldn't give them caffeine at all!!! Does anyone know of any diet changes I can make that maybe have worked for you? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: has anyone tried diet modification???

Not everyone needs the same diet changes.

For me, I simply cannot have red dye, its actually like a drug to me, I get "high" and act very strange. I also try to stay away from processed foods.

For many ADD people a high protein low carb diet is helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #3

suzy_Q HB User

I am curious too about the caffeine. My son will once in a blue moon have a mountain dew, he reacts the opposite of what you would think, he is very calm and well behaved. I'm wondering if anyone else uses or doesn't use caffeine for adhd children.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

PatriciaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_Q
I am curious too about the caffeine. My son will once in a blue moon have a mountain dew, he reacts the opposite of what you would think, he is very calm and well behaved. I'm wondering if anyone else uses or doesn't use caffeine for adhd children.
I had heard that caffeine had the opposite effect on young kids than it had on adults. It supposedly has a calming effect on kids. I wasn't sure, I try to restrict her caffeine intake Alot! as she is very hyper anyway.

I wondered too how long I would have to wait to see if there was any change from removing stuff like the red dye from her diet?? Thank you both for your help!

Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #5

vrie HB User

When my daughter was little, a friend she stayed overnight with every other week used to make her bedtime chocolate with some coffee! It was the only way to get her to start to settle down for bed for them with all the excitement. At that time she wasn't on any medication. My non-ADHD children get wired from caffeine (one insists on caffeinated tea in the morning!) while my ADHD child mellows and my ADD child shows no effect.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

I have ADHD and caffeine does calm me down quite a bit.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #7

suzy_Q HB User

How many of you have tried restricting red dye #40 from your child's diet. Have you seen a change. I have just started reading about it and realizing how many things have food dye in them (yuck). I just came from my child's valentine party where they served Hawaiian Punch. A few of the children (one being mine) became restless and loud and otherwise just hyper. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it?

Last edited by suzy_Q; 02-12-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_Q
How many of you have tried restricting red dye #40 from your child's diet. Have you seen a change. I have just started reading about it and realizing how many things have food dye in them (yuck). I just came from my child's valentine party where they served Hawaiian Punch. A few of the children (one being mine) became restless and loud and otherwise just hyper. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it?
I dont know if you read on the other page, but I am one who doesnt eat/drink red dye. It makes a HUGE difference for me.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

PatriciaB HB User

It would make sense that the combination of red dye plus all that sugar in the drink would be a double whammy for an already hyperactive child!
I've started checking labels for the red dye and it is amazing the amount of foods that have it!

Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 AM   #10

jennbu HB User

I hasva a son who just got diagnosed with add/adhd & I just resently made the connection between red dye and how he behaves. I know when he has fruit punch he goes off the wall. The psychologist that did his testing did mention something about giving a child caffine how it cals them. I would interested in hearing if anyone know's any more about that. jenn

Old 03-03-2004, 07:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Its not really a healthy way to control ADD symptoms (caffeine)

I would suggest you take red dye out of his diet immidiatly. Also take out other processed foods and foods that contain lots of chemcials/dyes.

If at that time he is still having symptoms you may want to try supplementation.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #12
(female)

rasiaca HB User

Hi,
Caffeine is a stimulant (that actually has more side effects than Ritalin, as I checked on multiple drug side effects sites for verification)...not advocating it nec.

This is how it works, this is common knowledge in homeopathic circles....

If something is a stimulant, and is given to an already stimulated subject, it has a calming effect. This is why Ritalin works so well with hyperactivity.

If you give it to someone who is not over-active, it will stimulate them. This is why it works with inattentive types. ...turns ON the lights.
ADD and ADHD are very different biologically, the only thing they have in common, in my opinion, is that they result in an attention deficit/lack of focus, it just so happens that because of the varying way stimulants affect different states, it all works out.

Not sure how much is fact, but based on this thread, it is true so far, and based on the people I know about personally.
Anna.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Caffeine isn't good for anyone in large amounts but it does not have more side effects than ritalin.

Were they (the site you read this from) talking about taking caffeine in pill form in extremely high doses? Or drinking coffee?

Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
(female)

rasiaca HB User

Actually it was multiple sites, and yes it does have more side effects....
and yes it was referring to pills. One pill = 200mg. 8 oz brewed coffee = 85mg. Given that most coffee cups hold more than 8 oz, it is fair to say that one pill = 2 cups of coffee. ...not really 'extremely high', when considering the side effects. And no amount of caffeine is recommended for children...
Not saying that Ritalin is wrong or right, but apparently caffeine is too harsh for children under twelve.
Point is, yes, caffeine has more side effects, and in a lower dose, perhaps it would be brought down to equally as damaging. Just my opinion, based on my own cross-referenced research.
Anyways, I am sure this will warrant some sort of response, and I am comfortable with that....because I am not pro-ritalin for the most part, nor pro-caffeine. I am actually pro-diet, which is why I started reading this thread.
Anna.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

I don't think caffeine should be used in pill form as meds but it does not have more side effects than ritalin. It may apear to have more short term side effects but as for serious long term effects ritalin definantly has more. I have met plenty of people who are still dealing with the damage of having taken ritalin long term for years. Some physical issues, some psychological. Yet I have never met anyone who had major negative effects from drinking 2 cups of coffee daily!

Closed Thread