It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #1

King Conga HB User
Clarify Thyroid & ADD links

I'm 45, and just this week discovered (thru a friend and intense research) that I very likely have ADD NOT ADHD. I've seen a number of refs to thyroid conditions and ADD, but they don't clarify as well as I'd like. In '95 I had a thyroid test done, which came out negative, because my brother (2 yrs. older) had been diagnosed with hyper. He had ballooned in weight, and couldn't stay awake for more than an hour or so. I just thought he was hung over. I knew that my dad had it. Even if I'd tested positive, they still wouldn't have been able to diag. the ADD. Could it still effect me even if it didn't test positive, just to the level of creating a condition manifesting the ADD? I haven't even met with a therapist yet. I'm trying to do some major research before I lay my brains and innermost secrets out on a table. Not saying they're unqualified, just don't wanna be told something that I have no knowledge to rebutt with. And after reading about the horror stories of what Straterra can do to an adult male's sex organs, and no MD's or anybody know about it in the tests, I ain't takin' no chances.

Thanks for any and all help in advance,
King Conga

Old 02-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Clarify Thyroid & ADD links

Thyroid problems can cause ADD symptoms. A hypo thyriod is what would cause ADD inattentive symptoms. It can still effect you even if your test came out negative. I would suggest you get further testing done.

When did you start having ADD symptoms? (at what age)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #3

King Conga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Thyroid problems can cause ADD symptoms. A hypo thyriod is what would cause ADD inattentive symptoms. It can still effect you even if your test came out negative. I would suggest you get further testing done.

When did you start having ADD symptoms? (at what age)
Pretty much as long as I can remember. My most obvious trait all thru my life has been starting med. to long-term projects and only completing about 60% of ea. project. I've read about 120 pgs. of "Driven to Distraction", and already nailed about 20 traits.

If I do have thyroid problems, how does, say Adderall XR, react with it. So far, after reading this site, that's the only drug I feel safe trying?

Tanx,
King Conga

Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

You should only take ADD meds if you try all other treatment options and they fail. The meds are stimulants (related to cocaine and amphetamines) they are of great help to lots of people but its really best to go the non-med route if you are able to.

If you think you may have thyroid problems look into it further before deciding that it is for sure ADD.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:08 AM   #5

King Conga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
You should only take ADD meds if you try all other treatment options and they fail. The meds are stimulants (related to cocaine and amphetamines) they are of great help to lots of people but its really best to go the non-med route if you are able to.

If you think you may have thyroid problems look into it further before deciding that it is for sure ADD.
What have you heard about Cocanut Oil as a "magic" remedy to thyroid, weight gain (which I know are somewhat related), diabetes, and whole host of other serious conditions...AND it's reaction to Adderall XR? My regimen game plan as it stands right now is to order some Virgin Cocanut Oil, along with the Omega 3, and try that for 3 or 4 weeks. In the meantime, I will set up an appt. with a therapist for ADD as a "coach" and feedback source, then more than likely get on Adderall. So far, that's the only drug I'm at all comfortable taking (judging from what I've read here). I do want to try that at least to see what difference it makes. It seems harmless enough. Believe me, I'm not excited about getting on a drug forever; but if it will make me productive and give me the daily clarity that's been missing in my life for what seems like forever, then it's worth it. From what I've read about the Cocanut Oil that will clear up a lot of problems to.

Thanks,
King Conga

Old 02-12-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Why do you feel Adderall is so safe? It's an amphetamine, an addictive drug that causes alot of health/mental problems even in smaller doses. Being addictive, it can also poop out because of tolerance development and then higher doses will be needed later; with higher doses come more health/mental risks and physical dependancy/addiction. Perhaps prescribed doses don't kill you but there are other things to consider besides that. At least ******** the Adderall PDF and read the adverse effects list thoughly and take it seriously.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

It seems harmless enough?? Adderall is an AMPHETAMINE!!! You are not even positive you have ADD let alone positive no safer treatments would work for you. Adderall is a hard core med and should be a last resort after all safer treatments have failed.

Why are you so set on getting a hold of some amphetamines, you even said that you think thyroid issues may be the cause of your problems, so why demand medications for a condition you dont even know for a fact that you have.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Conga
My regimen game plan as it stands right now is to order some Virgin Cocanut Oil, along with the Omega 3, and try that for 3 or 4 weeks. In the meantime, I will set up an appt. with a therapist for ADD as a "coach" and feedback source, then more than likely get on Adderall. King Conga
King, as you've read, hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) can cause ADD symptoms. If thyroid problems run in the family, you might want to have that tested again; your results now could be different than they were in 1995.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with coconut oil. You might try the "alternative medicine" or the "vitamins and supplements" boards for more information on it. Although I'm pretty leary of anything that advertises itself as a miracle cure, I'm glad that you are going to try that and counseling before you try medication.

Good luck.

PS (Editing to include) Don't get set on the idea of Adderall. I can understand your reluctance to try Straterra given all the discussion about male sexual side-effects. But, some of the longer-acting methylphenidates might be a better choice than Adderall if you have to go the med route. Be open to what your doc suggests...

Last edited by index.html; 02-13-2004 at 10:43 AM.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #9

King Conga HB User

WHOA! Let not your hearts be troubled. I just mentioned I had faith in Adderall simply because it was the only one that after I'd read a considerable amt. of threads here that I hadn't seen any drastic problems like the hellish sexual side effects in adult males with Straterra. I happen to be having an initial ph. interview with a therapist tonight after work. I'm definitely leary of any drugs that target my brain. And eventhough, I was aware of it being addictive, as I said, I hadn't really read any horror stories. I've also got a 32 oz. bottle of Cocanut Oil ordered as we speak. I DO SINCERELY appreciate the concern, however, so don't hesitate to contribute any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
King Conga

Old 02-14-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Whew, that's good. My nephew took Adderall and it caused mood swings ( sort of like bi-polar), aggression, crying for no reason and some sleep problems.....of course, it "worked" for his schooling but he was turning into another kid. Then they tried Strattera; seemed to be so much better than the stimulant at first, but then he had some extreme fatigue that wouldn't let up....the doc's answer was to increase the dosage and that's when his dad said enough! So now he's off all meds. Luckily, he wasn't on them very long so he got away with no withdrawals/rebounds and is doing well in school now with accomodations for ADD but no drugs.

So I guess what I am saying is these drugs can cause problems and are not always guareenteed to work well and safely for everyone...plus sometimes other means will get the results. My nephew just won a school award for effort..

Old 02-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #11

King Conga HB User

Here's the problem/symptom I'm trying to rid myself of...NOT BEING ABLE TO COMPLETE A PROJECT!! I'm NOT LAZY either. I just feel like I've got a Cat. 5 Hurricane going on in my head with ideas, and EVERY time I start one, 60% thru it, I go to another one. I know I'm capable of a GREAT Creative career, because that's what I did in my last job before I got laid off, for the 1st time in my life. I also know I could have my own successful business if I could just prioritize and not get overwelmed by the blurr of thoughts in my head.

When I first started reading case histories in the book "Driven to Distraction" they were so much like me that my mind started racing a million mph cuz I knew EXACTLY what they were going thru. After 80 pgs. I felt like I'd taken 2 SAT's! I've been doing a lot of reading on how the chemical properties of Coconut Oil help hypothyroid sufferers especially, in terms of their weight gain. If that comes about, that'll be great, but I'm after a lot more than losing weight. I had problems with girls WWAAYY before I gained my weight; and I'm sorry for any and all relationships that I screwed up, but it wasn't for lack of sincerity or trying. I just quit trying after they just walk away without telling me why. Only now do I have some clue why...because they didn't know HOW OR WHAT to tell me.

So, bottom line, I'm ready to find out what I've been robbed of for 45 yrs. I wanna know what it's like to have clear thought patterns. I'm tired of friends and family calling me lazy, because I'm EXTREMELY capable of contributing something GREAT to this world, and I hold myself responsible to do that. Does this make sense, or do I still sound lazy? I really do thank you guys for listening.

Thanks,
King Conga

Last edited by King Conga; 02-14-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Closed Thread