It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
Question Increasing dosage question

My second grade son has ADHD. He is complusive, talkitive and moves at a 100 mph. He started on Adderall 5mg in November. By December we were moving up to 10 mg. When school started back up in January we were at 15 mg. Now in February he is once again getting in trouble each day at school. Even earned himself a detention one day this week.

Is it time to move up again? I am so confused as to how much of this is the ADHD and how much is just plan bad behavior. I hate for him to be in trouble all of the time, but on the otherhand, will we have to increase his dosage until he is at the top dosage by the time he is in third grade?

Thanks for any suggestions by those who know!

Vanessa

Old 02-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Increasing dosage question

Some doctors believe that children who respond well to stimulants at first then either stop responding or keep upping the dose may actually have a disorder that mimics ADD. In other words, they may not have ADD, just symptoms of ADD caused by other problems. Something to look into....

What all treatments have you tried before medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

jboon HB User

Vanessa,

Different medicines work differently on different kids. Adderall (sp?) works great for some kids, Concerta works great for others, etc. Adderall may not be the medication that's best for your child. I have heard that Adderall is often very effective for children who have ADHD without the hyperactivity/impulsivity. I've heard that Concerta or other Ritalin-based medications are often very effective for children who have ADHD with the hyperactivity/impulsivity.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboon
Vanessa,

Different medicines work differently on different kids. Adderall (sp?) works great for some kids, Concerta works great for others, etc. Adderall may not be the medication that's best for your child. I have heard that Adderall is often very effective for children who have ADHD without the hyperactivity/impulsivity. I've heard that Concerta or other Ritalin-based medications are often very effective for children who have ADHD with the hyperactivity/impulsivity.
JBoon, he has been on Conercta before and that med did not work well for him at all. He could not sleep and he was very emotional. He actually took Concerta for about six months. The adderall seems to work great, when it's working. Free Spirit yes we have tried alternative methods. They have not worked. He is very hyper.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

If the Adderall is loosing it's effectiveness, that's a sign of drug tolerance. A doctor may say that's not possible at the doses they prescribe but it is quite obvious that is what is going on. And with higher doses come higher risks. It can also take months to recover from the drug use even after slow weaning. It is also questionable about permanent changes the drugs can cause after years of use. I've heard Strattera, although with it's own faults, might be safer overall than amphetamines.

Last edited by Jennita; 02-12-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

OK, how about combining several methods of treatment, medication, supplements, diet, excercise, biofeedback, and behavior modification. You can get info on supplements that will help eliminate drug tolerance. You can get info on this from a pharmacist or nutritionists. It is not safe to keep upping the dose. If this goes on he will soon be on a dose much higher than what the FDA has determined as "safe".

Closed Thread