It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

Karon HB User
ADHD - Bedwetting and Forgetfulness??

Just wondering how many ADHD children out there who wet the bed and forget a lot. My grandson is 7 1/2 and wets the bed 9 days out of 10. We don't make a big thing out of it (aside from praising when he doesn't) and the doctor had told us before that it is common in ADHD children??? Also he often forgets i.e. his papa goes to the store, kisses him good bye etc. and 10 minutes later he'll say to me where's papa??? Tx Karon

Old 02-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #2

King Conga HB User
Re: ADHD - Bedwetting and Forgetfulness??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karon
Just wondering how many ADHD children out there who wet the bed and forget a lot. My grandson is 7 1/2 and wets the bed 9 days out of 10. We don't make a big thing out of it (aside from praising when he doesn't) and the doctor had told us before that it is common in ADHD children??? Also he often forgets i.e. his papa goes to the store, kisses him good bye etc. and 10 minutes later he'll say to me where's papa??? Tx Karon
Karon,

I wet my bed until I was probably 11. I can't remember exactly how often, but it wasn't quite that much, at least by the time I quit. To tell you the truth, I don't know what made me quit, though. Obviously, my general confidence was slammed everytime my syblings teased me about it. However, I just recently read an article by a very respected phsycologist that said it wasn't related to ADD. What they recommended was certainly making sure they went to the bathroom before bed. More importantly, (and my folks didn't do this, but probably should have) set an alarm clock for the middle of the night in their room to prompt them to get up out of probably a very deep sleep and force themselves to urinate. I know I was a VERY deep sleeper. Putting it in their room, and leaving it to THEIR responsibility would probably build their confidence as well; I can't help but think that would've helped mine. Other than that, recommend to the parents cut them as much slack as you can, and tell the syblings (without the bedwetter's knowledge) to try as hard as possible to do the same. I'm not saying to play fav's, but he TRULY can't help it. He will come out of it on his own.
As far as that severe forgetfulness, that definitely seems serious. Anyhoo, hope that helps.

Good luck,
King Conga

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #3

suzy_Q HB User

My son is almost 9 and has adhd. He wet the bed until he was 6, every night without exception. We bought one of those alarms that wakes them when they start to pee. Two nights later he was dry and has never had an accident since. He still had to get up every night two or three times to go but since we started him on Strattera in March he may get up once to go but sometimes makes it through the entire night. So I think it is related somehow.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_Q
My son is almost 9 and has adhd. He wet the bed until he was 6, every night without exception. We bought one of those alarms that wakes them when they start to pee. Two nights later he was dry and has never had an accident since. He still had to get up every night two or three times to go but since we started him on Strattera in March he may get up once to go but sometimes makes it through the entire night. So I think it is related somehow.

Strattera causes urine retention so his not wetting the bed as much is likely due to this side effect.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karon
Just wondering how many ADHD children out there who wet the bed and forget a lot.
Hi Karon,
I think the forgetting constantly is pretty typical of ADD. As for the bedwetting, my 13yo ADHD son had alot of nighttime accidents until he was about 9 or 10. If I remember right, the alarm that goes off when it senses moisture is what finally worked for us, too.

Closed Thread