It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 08:14 AM   #1

confusedbody HB User
zombie-boy

My son was put on Adderall XR. After the second day we took him off. He was walking around seemingly in a trance. He was way too mellow, and wouldn't talk-he was just so focused all day trying to find a lost toy. The day before he was so much better behaved, but talked non-stop. The dr. told me to discontinue the Adderall and start an anti-psychotic to stabilize his mood instead. The dose of Adderall was 15 mg, so I when I read that there is a 5 mg dose, I thought maybe that would work for him, but the doc says that it's not the right med for my son due to his reaction.Can anybody shed some light on this?

Old 02-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: zombie-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedbody
Can anybody shed some light on this?
I hate to say this, but I'd look for another doctor. One who wants to start antipsychotics in a young child based on his 2-day reaction to Adderall is just a little to0 free with that prescription pad, IMHO.

I would think another doc might want to start the Adderall at a lower dose if your son needs it (or possibly try a different med)...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
(male)

ucistu HB User
Re: zombie-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
I hate to say this, but I'd look for another doctor. One who wants to start antipsychotics in a young child based on his 2-day reaction to Adderall is just a little to0 free with that prescription pad, IMHO.

I would think another doc might want to start the Adderall at a lower dose if your son needs it (or possibly try a different med)...

I'm 27 and Adderall xr 15mgs put me into a zombie state. But when I changed to 5mgs per day I was fine. If you have too much stimulant like your son then people hyperfocus. For some people they need alot of stimulants for it to work. For others only a little can work and too much you get an adverse effect. This is common knowledge you should find another doctor, this one doesn't know much.

Last edited by ucistu; 02-13-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Closed Thread