It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #1

sosxyalmostevil HB User
Exclamation side effects.

hi there. okay, so i have been taking zoloft, and concerta for about a year now. i have been having many side effects such as, diarhea, slight nausea, slight anxiety, even some twitching. My question is, have any of you had any of these side effects and if so which meds are you on?

ANY REPLIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

JESSICA

Old 02-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: side effects.

These are common side effects of most AD's and stimulants. I suggest you ******** the drugs' PDF's from their websites and study the side effects. There have been new studies indicating that SSRI's can eventually damage the serotonin system, and from that we can assume other systems can be eventually damaged by psychoactive drugs over time. Other health problems can arise from these drugs too; most are listed as adverse effects on the PDF. These drugs also can have withdrawal effects so they should never be cold-turkeyed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
There have been new studies indicating that SSRI's can eventually damage the serotonin system...
Jennita, if there is a "board-friendly" way that you can direct me to these studies, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to take a look at them. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Jennita, if there is a "board-friendly" way that you can direct me to these studies, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to take a look at them. Thanks.
Well, if you search for antidepressant study and changes in rat brain cells, you may run across many different websites that mention this. I have a very good link which I will run by the moderator first, so if it's approved I'll pass it along; however, in doing your own search you will probably run across simular information.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Hey, here's the link, it's:

[url]http://www.jeffersonhospital.org//news/e3front.dll?durki=7423[/url]
(preapproved by administrator)

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Thanks for the link, Jennita.

I wanted to see it in case I missed something recently published. I've seen this one; it was published in 2000. It, like the recently published ones about learned helplessness in rats *injected* with ritalin, bear watching.

What cracks me up about this study is the line about when they perform the next study with rats it will be longer and they will LOWER the doses to about 10 to 30 times the therapeutic dose. So the doses in this study were in excess of 30 times a normal dose and they were surprised to find it damaged brain cells!?! Gee whiz, mineral supplements and fat-soluble vitamins in doses in excess of 30 times the RDA cause illness and death. So does tylenol.

So, like I said, I'll continue to watch for future studies about these drugs but I'm not going to be unduly alarmed about this one. Just IMHO, of course.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I do believe these drugs can damage the brain because there is no way to measure brain chemicals, unlike for example,blood sugar levels/diabetes. So it could be dangerous to manipulate chemicals that can't be confirmed deficient. It's a living brain experiment; all they know is serotonin can be uplifting, and that's only because in the 60's they discovered LSD and serotonin...it's all theory and assumption based on drug side effects.

But I agree with you on one point about rats....that's the only part I don't understand...why such high doses?

I do remember, however, they gave animals more cigarettes than one could smoke in a day when they first suspected lung damage from cigarettes, so perhaps there is a scientific reason why they proceed like this?

The most logical idea to me about the high doses for the rats would be that they first wanted to see what, if any, damage to the receptors occured with AD's.... and what it physically looked like (the corkscrew shapes) so they could have an idea what to look for in damaged cells.

If they did the smaller doses first, maybe the corkscrew shapes would be less detectable and slighter, plus they wouldn't even know to begin with what the receptors do or look like when "damaged".

So to me, it would make sense to guarentee a "damage" result first by giving very high dosages, so they could study it. Then they have a guide on what to look for when conducting more real-case scenarios.

It's the only thing that makes sense....but I'm not a scientist so who knows.

I just think the study does have significance since they really don't know the long-term effects on the brain with these drugs. Other serotonin drugs have already been proven as damaging and toxic...like LSD and extascy. I also think brain "damage" itself has many different levels...for example, not everyone who took LSD or acid in the 60's and 70's became schizophrenic but many did.... for some others perhaps damage did not occur as schizophrenia, but more subtle things like panic conditons or depression, without anyone really making the connection to the drugs perhaps.

So I think chemicals that effect the brain should not be taken lightly. AD damage would, of course, not have to be necessarily the same level of damage from something like, let's say, cocaine. In fact, I doubt AD's would ever cause such severe damage like that, but, .....who would want ANY level of brain damage, you know what I mean? The brain not only is our emotions, memory and learning abilities, but also our body functions like hormone production, nervous system control, sleep patterns, appetite, muscle movements and control...well, you know what I'm getting at....there could be development of certain conditons/diseases that may have otherwise been avoided!

So any damage at all would be a threat to brain functions and body health. This is why I wouldn't shrug off the study they did on the rats or invalidate it...but it will be very interesting to see the following studies in the future, wouldn't it?

At any rate, I'm glad they are finally starting to dig. I hope they can get funding to continue as they won't have the benefit of money most "positive" result studies get from the drug companies who make these types of medications. Did you hear the latest news of the cover-up of the negative/dangerous results of clinical trials for AD's on kids? That's a whole other story though.

Anyway, I hope someone finds a way to continue the studies in the future. It could get very interesting, don't you think?

Closed Thread