It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

batmom2918 HB User
please explain 504, IEP'S ...

i have been reaing on these plans and i thought i was going in the right direction today by requesting a 504 Evaluation for my son. but when i handed the request to the principle she said that she felt that it was the wrong way to head for my son. up to this point the school has done No testing, they felt he did nt have a problem the school was able to handle. which is better to have a 504 or IEP plan? I thought they were similar and doing the 504 evaluation was putting me on the path to get an IEP? Please help, i feel like im going in circles, JEN

Old 02-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #2

Happy Again HB User
Re: please explain 504, IEP'S ...

This is a difficult question to answer not knowing why you feel that you need intervention. I'm a high school teacher, so I've dealt with kids who already have these plans in place. Most are established in elementary school.

What I think that you want to request is a case study. You don't request a section 504 plan or IEP, but rather, a case study will determine what, if anything, is wrong and how the schools will be required to deal with the problem. The result will be the 504 plan or the IEP.

Parents can request a case study, but I'm sure that your school district has a policy about that. I would start with your district office or Director of Student Services. Your principal could probably tell you who to contact. If it were me, I would want to understand why your principal doesn't think that the study is warranted. The school deals with the kids every day and probably know if intervention is warranted.

As I said, I hope this helps because I can't imagine why a school wouldn't be interested in finding out why a kid is having trouble. This is a very general answer that may not apply to you. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmom2918
i have been reaing on these plans and i thought i was going in the right direction today by requesting a 504 Evaluation for my son. but when i handed the request to the principle she said that she felt that it was the wrong way to head for my son. up to this point the school has done No testing, they felt he did nt have a problem the school was able to handle. which is better to have a 504 or IEP plan? I thought they were similar and doing the 504 evaluation was putting me on the path to get an IEP? Please help, i feel like im going in circles, JEN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

batmom2918 HB User

my sons behavior has beome uncontrolable in school and home. we have seen a psycholgist who thinks he is showing signs of ADHD, but wanted the connors test and some ohter forms filled out. she too was surprised that the school had done nothing. the teacher is trying to work w/ me and doing things within her power to help him in class but her hands are tried to an extent with out the proper ok from the school or district. the principal is,I feel not wanting to waste district money on what she feels is a personal problem not to be delt with in school because this has happened with in a short amount of time. im just trying to do whats best for my child and feel as id im hitting a brick wall w/ the school.
i forgot to add. when i ask which way im suppose to go in handling this with the school, the principal responds " I dont know, I'll have to get back to you"

Last edited by batmom2918; 02-17-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #4

Sandson HB User

[QUOTE=batmom2918]my sons behavior has beome uncontrolable in school and home. we have seen a psycholgist who thinks he is showing signs of ADHD, but wanted the connors test and some ohter forms filled out. she too was surprised that the school had done nothing. the teacher is trying to work w/ me and doing things within her power to help him in class but her hands are tried to an extent with out the proper ok from the school or district. the principal is,I feel not wanting to waste district money on what she feels is a personal problem not to be delt with in school because this has happened with in a short amount of time. im just trying to do whats best for my child and feel as id im hitting a brick wall w/ the school.
i forgot to add. when i ask which way im suppose to go in handling this with the school, the principal responds " I dont know, I'll have to get back to you"[/QU

As a special educator, I suggest that you take the following actions that I am going to give you.Your best bet in this situation is to not wait on the district to have you soon evaluated. The only thing you can do is get a clinical diagnosis from your psychologist and present it to the district. After you present proof of your son's diagnosis, the district would have no choice but to create and IEP and put your son in the appropriate placement which in this case would probably be Emotionally Disturbed Classroom. This classroom setting deals directly with behavior problems and has a smaller classroom to teacher ratio.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Jen,

I posted a rather lengthy reply under your post "ADHD and School". Did you see it?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

batmom2918 HB User

index.html,
i saw the post thanks for your input. the timeout room is just for him to calm down and be able to return to class, after a blow-up. he is not there all day but some days he is theremore than once.JEN

Old 02-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Okay. If you're not sure about the difference between 504 and IEP's, here's a little more information...

First, an evaluation is an evaluation. Doesn't matter whether you're thinking 504 or special ed, the first step is to get the thorough evaluation. On the basis of that evaluation, the school will recommend and you can decide how much help your child needs.

Special ed and IEP's all fall under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). To qualify for it, your son must have a learning disability, an emotional disability, or ADHD severe enough to 1)negatively impact his education and 2) require special education services. (There are other things that would qualify a child, but they don't apply here). The special education services he requires could vary from things like needing to have some subjects taught in the "resource room" to having a 1-on-1 aide in the classroom with him to keep him on task.

Section 504 prevents discrimination against students with disabilities *in their classroom*. It doesn't provide special education services, but allows accomodations to "level the playing field" for kids with disabilities. A child with ADD, for instance, might get an extra day for turning in assignments, untimed tests, etc. Things like that *in* his regular ed classroom. Section 504 is easier to qualify for, but provides less services and is less enforceable (there are no federal funds provided for additional school personnel to moniter it like there is with IDEA).

Hope this helps!

Old 02-17-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Oh, Jen, one more thing. If your school district does NOT test for ADHD and requires you to have that done outside of school, they are supposed to pay for it. If the special ed department or psychologist at your son's school don't give you the help you need, call the director of special education for the district...

Closed Thread