It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

jnm3kds HB User
15 yr. old son with add?

Hi my 15 yr. old son has always had problems in school, but his grades are getting worse now that he is in high school. He tells me that he goes in a daze sometimes and can't concentrate and when he reads the words get fuzzy. He is hyper and likes to go all the time, is very social but gets bored with his friends and activities very easily. He sneaks and eats candy and drinks soda a lot. I am worried about his health and school. I don't know if he has add or if it's a learning disorder. I don't know where to take him for a diagnosis, to a psychiatrist? He is a freshman in high school and his classes are already too hard for him, I don't know how he will graduate. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: 15 yr. old son with add?

These days it's easy to worry about ADD because it's been sold so widely as scientific fact instead of scientific theory as a biological disease.

But he could just be going through hormonal changes (15 is right there in it) and also the pressures of high school which is alot more demanding then previous grades, especially these days when everything is high-pressure/rat race! The bad diet is not helping him have the strength to meet the challenges of this age, but I understand hormonal/growth changes can cause some cravings. Perhaps more complex carbs would quell his urge/needs for energy-producing sugars?

As far as school, my mother-in-law swears by tutors; I encourged my own son with regular weight training so he'd be more confident and healthy. His involvement in school sports and drama gave him less to be bored about when it came to going to school. My daughter even commented that when she joined choir, school itself seemed less boring and her grades improved.

So maybe your son needs some special involvement to enjoy school more and not be so bored. And the fact he is getting bored with his friends and activities at present could mean he hasn't found the right activities and friend yet that suit his taste. Alot of soul-searching/place in life/confusion goes on during these years...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm3kds
He tells me that he goes in a daze sometimes and can't concentrate and when he reads the words get fuzzy. He is hyper and likes to go all the time...
jnm3kds - has your son always had problems concentrating and being "hyper" or has this just started since high school? I think we could advise you better if we knew how long this has been a problem. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
(female)

jnm3kds HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
jnm3kds - has your son always had problems concentrating and being "hyper" or has this just started since high school? I think we could advise you better if we knew how long this has been a problem. Thanks.
Yes he has always had this problem. They actually put him in some rsp classes in elementary but he was too smart for them. I have thought about tutoring also, maybe sylvan learning center, has anyone heard of that? I know the problems with teens actually i have three teenage boys and the other two are doing well. I know every kid is different, but I am just concerned about him with regards to school, I can handle the other stuff. He has been in sports, baseball in particular. He does very well and is a good player but there are times when he gets bored with that also. It seems that he needs a lot of stimulation, more than my other two. It just might be different personalitites. I will not put him on medication, but I would try a tutor for school.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

annecy HB User

I have heard great things about the sylvan learning center. They have tools to facilitate all types of learning.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I've heard good things too! That may be an idea because a tutor helped my mother-in-law with her other son when he was diagnoised with ADD and she didn't like the idea of pills. She had two sons but only one had trouble....with the help of the tutor, he improved.

A psychcologist also discovered in sessions that his dad was unknowingly putting pressure on the boy to do well....now, this also happened to my husband but he was able to handle it better. Their father was really unaware of it; he loved his sons and only wanted them to excel in life like he did...he was an aeuronautical engenieer so you can imagine!

But that all happened in the days when psychologists actually tried to get to the bottom of a problem. Today, they insist on the medications. But my mother-in-law, with getting the father to lay off the pressure and the tutor, got my brother-in-law thru school. Today he's a Respiratory Therapist making good money, has a wife and two kids...unmedicated, his health is fantastic at 46 years old; he enjoys life and skateboards with his two boys often. He's one reason I think people can and do survive ADD without drugs.

Anyway, your son sounds like he is extremely intelligent and energetic....he just needs to find the right thing that will keep him motivated and stimulated...it took my brother-in-law a long time to find his interest in respiratory therapy.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:40 AM   #7
ItsAll2easy27

This sounds like me when I was Kid, Im 21 now I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 8. I was the worst kid in school. I always did my work in class. However it was hard for me to stay in one place and not talk. I could't pay attention. Ive taken everything you could imagin. I was taking ritalin for a while. Its been at least 7 years since ive taken any thing. Now Im in college, with a 3.0GPA I think that I must have grew out of it beacause. I can conncentrate more. So to all you worried moms, maybe its just a phase.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
Mara

Re: 15 yr. old son with fuzzy vision.

[...He tells me that he goes in a daze sometimes and can't concentrate and when he reads the words get fuzzy....]

Prescription eye glasses may help also. If his vision is fuzzy I'd suggest he have his vision tested. When I did, I did not realize how much I needed them. It can make a world of difference with reading. When vision is fuzzy that alone makes it more difficult, a struggle. Can you read under water? Take him to get his eyes checked...I'll never forget the first time I put my glasses on. I could clearly see road signs, finer patterns and read CLEARLY!

Closed Thread