It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #1

wordwizjenn HB User
Starting Adderall

My son will be starting Adderall tomorrow and I was wondering how long it takes to start "working"?
Thanks!

Old 02-20-2004, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Starting Adderall

Quote:
My son will be starting Adderall tomorrow and I was wondering how long it takes to start "working"?
The stimulants work immediately but it could take a couple of days for him to get past the side effects. For instance, I noticed an improvement in my concentration on the first day that I took Concerta, but had a headache that lasted the first 2 days so I didn't really get full benefit until that went away on the 3rd day. Hopefully, that makes sense...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 05:32 AM   #3

Happy Again HB User

I noticed improvements in my 9 year old the first day. All of a sudden we could read his handwriting. He could slow down enough to be careful. It was as if he had to rush before to get the thought out before he forgot it.

It did take a few weeks for his confidence to build, however. He had to learn to trust that he could consistently get the work done now. Plus it takes some time for them to unlearn some bad habits. Again, it is totally related to their confidence in their ability to be successful.

I am so glad that I "broke down" and consented to a trial of this medicine. It's been a godsend for my son.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #4

tri_lingual_one HB User

When I started adderal and everytime I've taken a brake from it it works immediately on the first day. The two side affects that are most severe with me when I start are sleeplessness and a supressed appetite. I always get those two side affects but they are extremely intense the first couple of days. I hardly sleep at all the first day and night Its in my system. However it works extremely well. It lets me concentrate and focus. It also helps me in all my social interactions. I'm a 25 year old male and have been on it the last 4 years.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #5

jimjamguy HB User

I'm a 20 year old male, I weigh approx. 170 LBS., and i'm currently being prescribed adderal XR 20 MG which I don't feel is quite strong enough for me but I have noticed how dramatically it improves my social interaction with people. Adderall really seems like a golden key to normality but the evening crashes do suck...of course the more you're taking the more dramatic your side effects will be.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
Inactive

bearboy HB User

I was taking adderall XR 30mg a day and then taking 10mg of regular adderall at 2 or 3 to kind of get me through that after effect which is awful! After a little while the XR stopped working again so I asked my doc if I could just take the regular one 4 times a day and that is how i have been doing it and it works better. maybe you should ask your dr to split up the dosage. good luck

Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
(male)

burg HB User

hello all, Adderall is a great med, what I've found with Adderall is this... Less can actually be better. I take 7.5 MGs (immediate release) split in half (one every 4 hours during the work day). I also have tried the XR and did NOT like it one bit. I like immediate release as I feel I have more dosage control. When on the XR I was extremely emotional and could not sleep for the life of me. Ironically the Adderall calms me down, but I can't sleep! How wierd is that?
A message to new users- a great med, but less can be more, and immediate release works great too!

Closed Thread