It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive

lasia221 HB User
Question Adult females with inattentive ADD......

Dammit. I had a whole long post, and it went poof into internet space. Now I have to remember everything again.

Ok. so i'm looking to speak with other adult females with inattentive ADD. I'm 26, and I've been this way seriously, as long as I can remember. It was never caught by my parents and school. In recent conversation about this with my mother, and showing her what I've found in research, she can't understand wither why it was never noticed. I think that I knew that i wasn't "right", and I tried to cover up alot of it. My parents had no clue that I was frequently late with assignments, almost always doing them at the last minute. They thought I was studying at night, when really I was just reading my own "fun" books....They didn't know how many times I woudl skip class at college. And of course if I skipped more than 2 or 3, it would be VERY dificult for me to go back at all.....I would think that the professor would single me out, There would be a test or quiz I'd be unprepared for, etc. If i was on-time or late to a class, and the classroom was full, I wouldn't go in...I'm very self-concious and didn't want everybody looking at me. I'm very shy around people I don't know. I will be very talkative however if others break the ice.

Anyway. I've never been truly treated for this. Years ago I was suspected of depression or anxiety, but those diagnosis don't fit me quite well, and the meds never did a bit of good. The first psych doc that I saw did agree mpostly on the ADD diagnosis, but didn't want to prescribe more than an anti-depressant (which i already knew wouldn't work on me), thinking that women with inattentive type are mostly merely depressed and don't need anything else. I'm going to see a new PCP doc this coming week, and I plan to bring up the ADD possibility to her. I've been told by the leader of my fibromyalgia support group that she -will- presribe me a proper mental health drug, whereas my current (to-be previous) PCP wouldn't even consider it. So i'm doing more research right now.

i popped over to another activity for a minute and forgot what else i wanted to ask/say.
typical.

oh yeah, another thing that makes my situation a bit unique is that i also have fibromyalgia. which contributes to the poor memory.
but more importantly, i'm concerned about the meds combo....i'm on a very low dose of elevil (10mg) to help me sleep at night...my sleep is awful. without meds, i wake every 90 minutes or so, never acheieve restful sleep, takes me a long time to fall asleep, etc.
the painkiller i'm on during the day, Tramadol, actually helps the ADD somehwat. if only i could rememvber tpo take it daily. it kinda hypes me up gently...someitmes a bit too much. it removes the muddy-ness of thoughts, makes me more awake, less "lazy"....but the racing thoughts of the hyperness gets worse. the ability to REALLY concentrate and read directions can be made worse.
um...yeah. so i wanna know if those meds might provide complications with ADD meds.
also, i'd like to hear others thoughts on their ADD meds, and whether it helps with the patience thing, temper, concentration/attention span, etc.

oh i took that quiz, posted by Free Spirit...I score a 14 on section A, and a 6 on A1 and C, a 7 on section D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adult females with inattentive ADD......

Well, lasia, I can certainly see why you think you have ADD. What I really think you need is a thorough psychological evaluation. Or, an ongoing relationship with a counselor who can help you sort out what exactly is going on in your life.

Unfortunately, your fibromyalgia muddies the waters, so to speak. It alone could cause ADD-like symptoms. Both of the meds that you are taking can also cause difficulty with attention/concentration. So, the fact that you score positive on an inventory of symptoms at this point in your life may or may not be significant.

The history that you give of your younger years definitely describes procrastination and some social anxiety. But, based on what you've said, I couldn't say with any certainty that, yes, you have ADD. So, I can see why your first doctor was a little reluctant to prescribe ADD medication.

As far as the stimulant meds themselves, yes, they undoubtedly help with attention and concentration. As far as their effect on anxiety, irritability, temper - they could make those things worse or they could help. Individual responses in those departments vary.

Sorry that I'm not able to give you the answer that you are looking for!

Old 02-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #3

debinear HB User
Wink Re: Adult females with inattentive ADD......

Lasia, I was diagnosed at the age of 45 with major depression and ADHD. I am a recovering opiate/heroin addict since the age of 34. I'm now 48 and for three years have been on 60-80 mg of Adderall (yes, a lot) for ADHD and 40 of Paxil for depression and anxiety.

I like you was always self-conscious, shy, anxious, scatter-brained and all that - that is why opiates were soooo good - made me feel at ease with people but unfortunately it did not take me long to become addicted to it all and most of my adult life up until the age of 34 was a mess but anyway....

I ended up in psychotherapy with a doctor for depression and have been seeing her for the past three years. She suspected in the beginning I was ADHD but I insisted no. I finally agreed 5 or 6 months later to take the test and see a psychiatrist who did agree with her that yes, I was ADHD (not a lot of "H" but some). Just make sure you find the right health care provider that you feel comfortable with where you can trust their judgement, no matter which way it goes. If you don't care for this provider, find another one until you are satisfied that either you do or don't have ADD. I didn't want to be "it" but I finally started listening to her, my therapist, and agreed after the visit with the psychiatrist. I can only look back at my life and wonder what life would have been like had I had the opportunity to be diagnosed at a young age such as yours vs. the "self-medicating" I went through and going in and out of rehabs for drug addiction.

My doctor just took me off Adderall and switched me to this Strattera for ADHD but it has been within the past week so I can't tell you how the Strattera is working because it takes a month or so to get the full effect from it. The Adderall did this for me - gave me patience with standing in lines, driving, people, helped me carry on a conversation one-on-one without losing track of my thought or topic, and the ability to speak in front of a group whereas before Adderall, I was a nervous wreck if I had to do such a thing! It helped me focus better but at times hyperfocus on one thing for a long period of time and suddenly would find myself surrounded by another mess - coffee cups, papers, books, soda cans. I write database applications out of my home on my computer and can really bury myself in my work without paying attention to time and so on. And I am still always either 3 minutes late or just on time for appointments no matter what time I start getting ready to go and have to go back into the house at least once or twice before actually pulling out of my driveway, and then at that may have to turn around because I forgot something. Adderall, along with the Paxil, also helped significantly with that free-floating anxiety. My confidence and self esteem rose significantly. (Although, could that be "age"?!) The withdrawal from Adderall was not pleasant. I've been exhausted for the past few days but feel better today.

So yeah, there are pros and cons to medication. Adderall is a stimulant that works on the part of your brain where Dopamine is produced. Sort of the pleasure center of your brain. So my doctor, after he himself going to rehab for alcoholism, learned all about how recovering addicts like me should not take anything that affects that part of the brain so he, against MY want, took me off it after a battle that lasted about an hour and lots of tears and I'm not happy but am willing to give this Strattera six weeks and then call him and let him know how it is going. Didn't have much of a choice but I do hope it works. I do plan on taking flax seed or oil each day as that, along with ADD "diets", can supposedly aid in the control of ADD/ADHD. Your local health food store should know about ADD and what to eat. Or search on google.

This is a great opportunity for you to change your life - don't wait too long to find out! Let us know how you make out.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #4

brainf0g HB User

Waking up every 90 minutes or so is a typical AD/HD symptom. AD/HD meds (although having the potential for making sleep problems worse) may actually stop (what probably is hyperactivity) the problem, and allow you to fall into a much deeper sleep.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 AM   #5
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

I can see why you might think that.....but let me assure you, the fibro has only been going on for the last few years, and the meds only for the last 6 months. All my multitude of symptoms go back, as I said, as far as I can remember. and it's not just the procrastination and social stuff, its evrything. the sleep. the memory. the lack of concentration. When i did my research a few years ago, I noted that to be thought of as ADD, you MUST have had these symptoms since childhood. And I can sya without a doubt (as well as my mother) that I have. There is no symptom that has occured in the last few years.
In case you didn't see the "quiz" Free Spirit posted that I was referring to at the end of my post, i'll list of those symptoms for the inattentive type:
easily distracted
has dificulty sustaining attention span for most tasks in play, school, or work
has trouble listening when others are talking
has difficulty following through on task or instructions
has difficulty keeping an organized area
has trouble with time (late or hurried, projects last minute, etc)
has a tendancy to lose things
is forgetful
daydreams excessivly
complains of being bored
appears apathetic or unmotivated
is tired, sluggish ro slow-moving
is spacey or seems preoccupied.

I can say with confidence that every one of those applies to me DAILY for as far back as I can remember. many to the "extreme"...like I'm not just a little bit messy and disorganized, I'm terrible. everywhere. I lose things daily. I forget things on an hourly basis!! School was always hell for me, I was always turning things in late, not doing the homework at all sometimes...I'd start a new class/nine weeks/semester thinking "i'm gonna do better", start a notebook, take noters daily...only to have that slowly fizzle out to my old habits.

I appreciate your response and thoughts, I really do, but it does bug me a bit when others confuse what i'm saying about the ADD with the fibro. The fibro is recent....the ADD is life-long. And oddly enough, the fibro med that i'm taking actually HELPS me with some of my ADD symptoms (while it lasts) rahter than making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Well, lasia, I can certainly see why you think you have ADD. What I really think you need is a thorough psychological evaluation. Or, an ongoing relationship with a counselor who can help you sort out what exactly is going on in your life.

Unfortunately, your fibromyalgia muddies the waters, so to speak. It alone could cause ADD-like symptoms. Both of the meds that you are taking can also cause difficulty with attention/concentration. So, the fact that you score positive on an inventory of symptoms at this point in your life may or may not be significant.

The history that you give of your younger years definitely describes procrastination and some social anxiety. But, based on what you've said, I couldn't say with any certainty that, yes, you have ADD. So, I can see why your first doctor was a little reluctant to prescribe ADD medication.

As far as the stimulant meds themselves, yes, they undoubtedly help with attention and concentration. As far as their effect on anxiety, irritability, temper - they could make those things worse or they could help. Individual responses in those departments vary.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:10 AM   #6
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

Oh i also wanted to mention to you my other "symptoms", I do want your feedback since you seem to know alot.
I do have what I call "mild" hyperactivity, since it's not every hour of every day...the inattention symptoms prevail. but i do experience these hyper symptoms at least every other day. I was a bit worse when I was ion elemantary school, getting in trouble for talking when I wasn't supposed to, hopping around the classroom so to speak when i wasn't supposed to, etc. i'm still fidgety. I can't do a "quiet activity" very well.....even when there's a tv show on that i really WANT to watch, i cqn only go so long just sitting there and watching it, i'm usually doing something else. i have little patience, and therefore get frustrated much easier than others. to that degree, i also have a very short temper...i'm a ***** on the road! *lol* i get angered very quickly, and easier than others. i frequently misinterpret things that other say to do or their actions as negative, when they might not be. So i'm VEYR senstive, many say i'm overly sensitive. people also say that i'm a negative person.

Quote:

Old 02-23-2004, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

If your symptoms of inattention, distractibility, and hyperactivity all pre-date your fibromyalgia, then I'd have to agree that ADD is a definite possibility for you. I just didn't get that from your original post but, hey, I'm ADD, too!

I can't watch television either. With the exception of a couple of shows, it just doesn't hold my interest. Wish it did! I'm bored alot.

When I was able to take Concerta, I noticed that it helped tremendously with my irritability that was related to what I call "auditory overload". I can't stand much noise (a problem when you have 2 boys) and *despise* long-winded conversationists. I loved being able to follow conversations while I was on it. Prior to Concerta, I would have called myself strictly ADD-inattentive as I'm a very low energy person. But, I did notice a drastic decrease of my "fidgetty" behaviors on it - twirling my hair, etc. Can't say that it made TV anymore interesting, though...

Good luck. Be sure to tell the shrink about your fibromyalgia. I think there's a possibility (small, but present) that Straterra might make that worse.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

Thanks. From what I've noted on eckerd.com, Concerta is going to have more drug interactions wiht what i'm currently on, than the Strattera. But I will have to see if it would worsen any fibro symptoms. unfortuantly, every fibro person is different...so even if it did affect one person, it may not affect me...or may affect me even more so. :/

I'm opposite you with the Tv...i ccan't live without it it seems. it's always on. its just that sometimes, espeicaly in the evening, i can't JUST watch tv. i'll be on the computer as well. and them other times i just fall asleep while watching tv.

do you find that little noises annoy the crap outta you? for me it's having to listen to someone chew...the louder, the more irritated i get. i'll only bark about it if its my SO or mom. anybody else and i just sit here and silently scream. other little background noises bug me too....and often, if i say to someone else "whats that damn noise??" they don't even notice it, or know what i'm talking about.
frustrating when it comes to my car *lol*

Quote:
If your symptoms of inattention, distractibility, and hyperactivity all pre-date your fibromyalgia, then I'd have to agree that ADD is a definite possibility for you. I just didn't get that from your original post but, hey, I'm ADD, too!

I can't watch television either. With the exception of a couple of shows, it just doesn't hold my interest. Wish it did! I'm bored alot.

When I was able to take Concerta, I noticed that it helped tremendously with my irritability that was related to what I call "auditory overload". I can't stand much noise (a problem when you have 2 boys) and *despise* long-winded conversationists. I loved being able to follow conversations while I was on it. Prior to Concerta, I would have called myself strictly ADD-inattentive as I'm a very low energy person. But, I did notice a drastic decrease of my "fidgetty" behaviors on it - twirling my hair, etc. Can't say that it made TV anymore interesting, though...

Good luck. Be sure to tell the shrink about your fibromyalgia. I think there's a possibility (small, but present) that Straterra might make that worse.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #9

brainf0g HB User

One of the main indicators of AD/HD, is having symptoms before 7 years of age. If you remember having these symptoms all your life, then chances are it is true AD/HD.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #10

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
do you find that little noises annoy the crap outta you? for me it's having to listen to someone chew...the louder, the more irritated i get. i'll only bark about it if its my SO or mom. anybody else and i just sit here and silently scream. other little background noises bug me too
Yeeeeep. Interesting enough it's only family members / people I'm close with as well, or I'll like you said "silently scream".

For me when I was little it was my brother. The sound of him eating cereal, the crunching of cereal and slurping of milk would literally drive me crazy.

Were you also sensitive to touch as a child?

Meaning, did the tags in clothing or the seams from socks bug you so bad that you couldn't do anything until they were just right?

Last edited by brainf0g; 02-23-2004 at 01:24 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

The sound thing drives me absolutely C*R*A*Z*Y. It's been the most irritating part about parenting for me. I was better about that on Concerta which is the prime reason that I'm disappointed in having to give it up. I hate being a grouchy mom!

I never had the touch issues.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #12
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

Sensitive to the touch....yes and a kid, I suppose so, I can't remember that aspect much, it wasn't something that would stick out in my memory, but I know i'm like that now...well, yeah i guess I would say yes to as a kid, cause I've been bugged by tags and such for as long as I can remember. scratchy sweaters I'll refuse to wear., i'll go to great lengths to remove the tag completely, not just snip it out, but rip it at the seams. I can't wear socks cause they make my feet itchy...and no they're not dirty *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
Yeeeeep. Interesting enough it's only family members / people I'm close with as well, or I'll like you said "silently scream".

For me when I was little it was my brother. The sound of him eating cereal, the crunching of cereal and slurping of milk would literally drive me crazy.

Were you also sensitive to touch as a child?

Meaning, did the tags in clothing or the seams from socks bug you so bad that you couldn't do anything until they were just right?

Old 03-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #13
Inactive

Ardwinna HB User

I know I'm digging up older threads, but I just joined this board.... and I wanted to chime in as well- I'm 31 and just recently have seriously considered the fact that I may have ADD (I sure could use some of that hyperactivity) as well. All I know is that I NEED to get my (so called) life on some sort of track! I feel I'm just treading water and not really getting anywhere, and I'm sick of it!
I'm hoping I'll get some help from my Pdoc on Monday!

Anyway- good luck to all of us!

Old 03-11-2004, 06:23 PM   #14

kenziebrei HB User

Lasia,
Hi I feel for you. Because like you I was the same way.I wasn't DX with add in school. It sounds like it could be Adult add. So make an appt. with a dr. And sit down and write down everything. You can take a test on the i-net first to make sure. That is what I did. Then I took the test with me to the dr. I was just DX March 9, .

Old 03-12-2004, 04:09 AM   #15

lpowell6 HB User

I would like to recommend a book. It's from the doc that has had children with AD/HD. The amenclinic. I hope that when I tell you this they don't erase it. But it's a webpage and you can order his book from amazon. I too feel that I have Inattentive ADD. Did you know that there are 6 types of ADD. Check it out.

Closed Thread