It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #1

gprcc HB User
Friend (19) diagnosed with ADD - How?!

My friend Josh was diagnosed with ADD, I never noticed it but that's what they told him.

Now, please don't flame me here but I have read various articles online (they're everywhere) about Nicotine helping mental disorders and other things. One of the main things nicotine is exceptionally good at treating is ADD/ADHD. I've read many times from different sources that children and other people were given Nicotine gum and patches which worked better then ritalin.

My friend is a snuff user and dips a can of Skoal snuff a day, which is roughly 412mgs of nicotine, how is it that he diagnosed with ADD after all the nicotine he consumes?

Old 02-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Friend (19) diagnosed with ADD - How?!

I'm not going to flame you; there actually has been some research that indicates that nicotine can reduce ADD symptoms. Unfortunately, long-term nicotine use is at least as risky as long-term use of stimulants. "Dipping" carries not only the risk of heart disease from the nicotine but cancers of the mouth, throat, etc.

Many people unknowingly "self-medicate". Your boyfriend has probably inadvertently discovered that dipping helps his ADD. It may be that his use of nicotine has reduced his ADD symptoms to the point that you didn't notice them. Of course, the possibility also exists that he was incorrectly diagnosed. I don't know how thorough of an exam he was given, so I can't make a judgement about that...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprcc
My friend Josh was diagnosed with ADD, I never noticed it but that's what they told him.

Now, please don't flame me here but I have read various articles online (they're everywhere) about Nicotine helping mental disorders and other things. One of the main things nicotine is exceptionally good at treating is ADD/ADHD. I've read many times from different sources that children and other people were given Nicotine gum and patches which worked better then ritalin.

My friend is a snuff user and dips a can of Skoal snuff a day, which is roughly 412mgs of nicotine, how is it that he diagnosed with ADD after all the nicotine he consumes?

Don't take this as a flame because it is not meant to be nor is it meant directly at you but I have to respond to this.

I say we should just have all kids no matter how young, start smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to give them their daily nicotine dose. We will start them off with filtered menthols and then progress to unfiltered. Eventually we will have them all buy a bag of Bugler and Tip Tops and roll there own. Jesssh. Leave to them, after all the crap about cigarettes and nicotine addiction, and "The surgeon General has determined...." they will resort to this as a remedy.

I will tell you all, I have travel all over the world. I have live in several states in the U.S. I grew up in a rough neighborhood. I have had many different jobs. I attended a university late in life and got my education and degrees and have met many, many, many different people in all walks of life in my 50 years and I have never once met anyone with ADD. Never! I've met all types of people, drug addicts, alcoholics, weirdos, crazies, winos, prostitutes, rich, poor, whites, blacks, orientals. hispanics, all colors and ethinic groups, midgets, clowns etc. etc. and ocassionally, some normal people as well and never have I met anyone with ADD.

If I find anything that bores me to dead, I won't pay attention either and never have. My mind would drift. I can just see myself in the psycho's office, "Put the square peg in the round hole". I would be thinking "Put the straight peg in the ho". I can guarantee you "they" will diagnose me with ADD from just pure boredom on my part. I don't know where this ADD comes from. Well, actually I do. It comes from the psychiatry/psychology professional field. The profession that just rubs my butt raw. We have a different name for it in layman's terms where I come from? It's called a mind intercourse (you know the word here) for lack of a better term.

If you never noticed your friend to have this ADD before, then he doesn't have it. That's my diagnosis, from what little information you've provided about your friend and from my vast experience in meeting all kinds of real people. And best of all, it's completely free and always will be.

Hoop

Last edited by Hoop; 02-22-2004 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:51 AM   #4

brainf0g HB User

Yes nicotine helps AD/HD and when I quit personally my symptoms increased dramatically. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that smoking decreased AD/HD symptoms more than a stimulant, such as Ritalin.

Nicotine can actually be good for the brain. In fact there is a new AD/HD medication currently going through clinical trials that work with the nicotinic receptors in the brain. The bad part about nicotine is the method in which it gets in ones' system.

If he wanted to decrease his AD/HD symptoms somewhat with nicotine look into wearing the patch.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:10 AM   #5

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
have met many, many, many different people in all walks of life in my 50 years and I have never once met anyone with ADD. Never!
Then you don't know what to look for..

Quote:
I've met all types of people, drug addicts, alcoholics, weirdos, crazies, winos, prostitutes, rich, poor, whites, blacks, orientals.
At least four of those categories statistically have an extremely high chance of having AD/HD.

There is a reason why people become drug addicts, alcoholics, "winos", prostitutes, etc. and it is all due to the brain. Either it's psychological from wiring during critical periods of development and/or trauma, or biopsychological through brain chemistry from genetic brain function, physical brain damage, etc., but it is all due to the brain.

What I find interesting is the people who need psychological help the most don't believe in it with a passion, but people who don't need help understand the nature and reason of it. I guess it's a type of justification.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop
Don't take this as a flame because it is not meant to be...
Not a flame? No, more like a blow torch!

I hope that none of the regulars here took my post as meaning that I advocate the use of nicotine for anyone. Because I certainly don't. Especially not children! I personally believe that the stimulants are at least as safe, and possibly safer, than nicotine and some of the other things people with ADD use to medicate themselves (alcohol, street drugs, etc). I just find it interesting that research has shown why some people with ADD turn to nicotine...

I also find it interesting how many manic-depressives become alcoholics in their quest for some peace. And how many with general anxiety disorders become obese as they self-medicate with food.

How our minds work fascinates me.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
What I find interesting is the people who need psychological help the most don't believe in it with a passion, but people who don't need help understand the nature and reason of it.
Well said, Brainfog! It's an interesting paradox, isn't it?

Here's another one that amuses me. Have you ever met a person who didn't think they were smart? Those with gifted and genius IQ's are smart and they know it. Those with "above average" intelligence don't get how many people in the world are smarter than they are - that 50% of the population has an IQ of 100 or higher. And those below that just don't "get it" at all. Gives me a chuckle.

It also fascinates me that the age group who is MOST likely to die from accidental death (teens and early 20's) is the age group that most believe themselves to be invincible. I figure that one is probably evolutionary - mankind has needed the strongest and healthiest among us to be the risk takers (in hunting, war, etc); our survival depended on it. It's not until you get older that you realize how foolish you were at that age.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #8

annecy HB User

To Hoop,

I don't think anybody in the medical field is looking to give kids nicotine to treat the ADD. Research is conducted to understand the body better. People with several types of chemical imbalances report the ease of symptoms with nicotine so studies have to be done inorder to understand why. ADD is not the only thing that has been eased by nicotine as the nicotinic receptors that are through out the body are associated with learning and cognition in the brain while in the body it causes an increase in dopamine. To start from what we know...nicotine in tobacco.. to get to a safe drug we have to start somewhere. The drugs that are being developed right now only model after nicotine in that they affect the same receptors. I know I am not an expert but I know that research is a grueling task at times. Also, the way that research has been interpreted in this case seems to be VERY generalized. Why blow a horn at a curiosity..what good is that. Also, ADD adults usually know how to be very functional and can compensate well. Several people have had no clue that I am ADD for months on end. However, some people put their finger on it within 2 days of knowing me because they know from experience. I agree that it is over diagnosed, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist. Just for today, maybe I will wear a name tag that says, "Hey!! I have ADD!!!" just to clear up any confusion in the world.

Last edited by annecy; 02-23-2004 at 09:03 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annecy
Just for today, maybe I will wear a name tag that says, "Hey!! I have ADD!!!" just to clear up any confusion in the world.
Hey, maybe we should have a national "Wear Your Label to Work Day". On second thought, I guess I wouldn't participate because then I'd be wide open for attacks from all the people who don't believe that ADD exists...

Old 02-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #10

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
It's an interesting paradox, isn't it?
A paradox indeed.

Quote:
Here's another one that amuses me. Have you ever met a person who didn't think they were smart? Those with gifted and genius IQ's are smart and they know it. Those with "above average" intelligence don't get how many people in the world are smarter than they are - that 50% of the population has an IQ of 100 or higher. And those below that just don't "get it" at all. Gives me a chuckle.

It also fascinates me that the age group who is MOST likely to die from accidental death (teens and early 20's) is the age group that most believe themselves to be invincible. I figure that one is probably evolutionary - mankind has needed the strongest and healthiest among us to be the risk takers (in hunting, war, etc); our survival depended on it.
The wonderful blessing, yet curse of AD/HD.

Quote:
It's not until you get older that you realize how foolish you were at that age.
Or until you get treatment for AD/HD.

Last edited by brainf0g; 02-23-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
Or until you get treatment for AD/HD.
I think it is normal for everyone that age. Not just ADDers, to take risks. This behavior alone isnt an indicator for ADD. I think it has a lot to do with maturity level. You mature as you spend time living.

As html said..... when you grow up you realize how foolish you were.

This is part of being a human being, growing and learning.

Closed Thread