It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 01:32 AM   #1

stellinator HB User
Smile 41 yrs old with ADHD?

Hi, I've been diagnosed with ADHD. Strange at 41 huh? Apparently I socred off the charts for it. My doc has me on 18mg concerta. After 4 days, I feel no difference whatsoever. I was told I would know immediately if it works for me. Who is on concerta and at what dosage?

Old 02-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: 41 yrs old with ADHD?

Hi Stellinator,

I don't think there are very many of us who post (as opposed to "lurk") on this board who are adult Concerta users.

My ADD wasn't diagnosed until my 40's either. Fact is, there was no such thing as ADD when we were young. It was in the literature, but was called "minimal brain damage" or "brain dysfunction syndrome". Not a label that a parent is likely to apply to their children!

I've taken Concerta, but had to stop it because of insomnia. 18mg was good; 36mg was better; 54mg was too much.

Sorry that I didn't post a reply earlier. I've seen you post on other boards about different medication that you've recently started. That medication could affect both your results on an ADD symptom checklist as well as the effectiveness of Concerta. Figured it'd be better if I kept my mouth shut, but since you're anxious for a reply...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellinator
Hi, I've been diagnosed with ADHD. Strange at 41 huh? Apparently I socred off the charts for it. My doc has me on 18mg concerta. After 4 days, I feel no difference whatsoever. I was told I would know immediately if it works for me. Who is on concerta and at what dosage?
No, not strange...ADD/ADHD diagnosis is very popular these days as it sells more drugs and the stocks go up. It is often mis-diagnoised and abused as biological when there are no diagnoistic biological tests for it like there is for diabetes, and it has no real neurological symptoms like MS, Parkinsons' disease, etc, that can also be life-threatening.

I'm sure it exists as described but, I doubt amphetamines are good for anyone. And I doubt it's purly biological, since I know people who have overcome it without drugs, in particular my own brother-in-law and his son.

Last edited by Jennita; 02-23-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #4

brainf0g HB User

Quote:

It's not strange, science is advancing and more and more is being known about the human brain as time goes forward. Many people are finding out for the first time in their forties and it usually explains a lot for these people.

It's a shame that it has takin this long to realize that will power is impossible when the physical brain malfunctions. Some of the worst diseases and disorders are the ones that cannot be seen without a trained eye.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
It's not strange, science is advancing and more and more is being known about the human brain as time goes forward. Many people are finding out for the first time in their forties and it usually explains a lot for these people.

It's a shame that it has takin this long to realize that will power is impossible when the physical brain malfunctions. Some of the worst diseases and disorders are the ones that cannot be seen without a trained eye.
Yes, more and more is being known about the human brain as time goes forward. But intil they know for sure, I think it's a bit dangerous to go on theory and chance with such a major thing like the brain. And as far as brain malfunction, amphetamines are famous for that. Smaller amounts than street amounts that won't make someone get high doesn't necessarily make them healthy to to ingest on a regular, lifelong basis.

A little poison won't kill but it's still poison.

But it's up to stellinator if he's going to buy into it I suppose.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

What was your testing for it like?

Quote:

Closed Thread