It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #1

LLinder HB User
Question 504 Plans - any advice?

We have made the decision to draft a 504 plan for our son who is in 3rd grade. He's is ADHD and has been on medication since 1st grade. We just increased his Concerta from 18mg to 27mg so we're hoping this will help him with organization and getting his work done.

I would appreciate advice from those who have done this for their children with ADHD. We seem to be having the most trouble with completing projects and assignments, losing assignments (I often find papers crumpled up in his desk), disorganization. Any ideas on accommodations that would be helpful in addressing these specific issues?

Here are some things I was thinking of:

1. untimed and possibly seperately administered tests
2. repeating directions quietly to him and having him repeat them back
3. shorter tests
4. signing his assigment book daily (both the teacher and the parent to ensure he is writing everything down and bringing home the necessary books)

Also, what challenges, if any, did you have when dealing with the school administrators?

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

Old 02-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: 504 Plans - any advice?

Hi Llinder,

If you do a google search for "ADHD accomodations", you'll find multiple websites that can give you ideas. There are hundreds of possibilities!

Besides those you mentioned, we've also included an extra day to turn in assignments (amazing how Mom can find those lost assignments that the backpack monster stole, isn't it? LOL), reduced written assignments, the opportunity to dictate answers, do not penalize for neatness, do not penalize for spelling except on spelling tests, no scantron tests (he'll have to use those sooner than you think!). You probably also want something along the lines of having the teacher break assignments into segments and giving step-by-step instructions.

My advice is Ask for the Moon! If you don't ask for it, you probably won't get it. Although I have to say that there are a few *wonderful* teachers out there who have made suggestions in these meetings that I would never thought of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #3

C.J.TODD HB User
Re: 504 Plans - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinder
We have made the decision to draft a 504 plan for our son who is in 3rd grade. He's is ADHD and has been on medication since 1st grade. We just increased his Concerta from 18mg to 27mg so we're hoping this will help him with organization and getting his work done.

I would appreciate advice from those who have done this for their children with ADHD. We seem to be having the most trouble with completing projects and assignments, losing assignments (I often find papers crumpled up in his desk), disorganization. Any ideas on accommodations that would be helpful in addressing these specific issues?

Here are some things I was thinking of:

1. untimed and possibly seperately administered tests
2. repeating directions quietly to him and having him repeat them back
3. shorter tests
4. signing his assigment book daily (both the teacher and the parent to ensure he is writing everything down and bringing home the necessary books)

Also, what challenges, if any, did you have when dealing with the school administrators?

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

IT TOOK ME 4 YEARS TO GET MY 14 YEAR OLD ON THE 504 PROGRAM. WE CAME UP WITH THE FOLLOWING: MORE TIME ON TEST IF NEEDED, CAN TURN IN PAPERS LATE, GIVEN LONGER ON HOMEWORK, MOVED TO THE FRONT OF THE CLASS, DON'T SET THEM NEXT TO HIS/HER FRIENDS, SIGNED HOMEWORK BY BOTH THE TEACHERS AND MYSELF, PHONE CALL FROM THE TEACHERS ONCE A WEEK. LET ME TELL YOU TRYING TO GET THE SCHOOL TO GO BY THE PROGRAM HAS BEEN MY BIGGEST FIGHT. THEY DON'T WANT TO GO THE EXTRA MILE TO HELP, BUT I MAKE MYSELF KNOW VERY WELL IN THAT SCHOOL AND THEY FOUND OUT THAT I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE. DON'T GIVE IN.

Closed Thread