It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Inactive

lasia221 HB User
Question My list of symptoms for the doc

What happens to me when I go see a doctor is a combo of nerves and the ADD....even having a list to follow, i forget to mention stuff, it doesn't come out right, my thoughts are so scattered that i'm hard to follow....

So.
when I see the doc who will be doing the neuro-psych test, i think i'd better take along this list i've composed. it explains things better than I could. Do you think the doctor would take offense to it? Not read it at all? Not care about it?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-29-2004 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the board. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: My list of symptoms for the doc

I think the doctor will be very impressed with your list. Also pleased that you wont have to waste time and not get all the needed info.

About your list.. There are statements in bold, then a,b,c with what looks like examples. I noticed some of the bold statements have no examples by them, is that because you dont have that particular symptom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

Oh no, everything I listed is a problem for me.
There were some things that i didn't think needed further explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
I think the doctor will be very impressed with your list. Also pleased that you wont have to waste time and not get all the needed info.

About your list.. There are statements in bold, then a,b,c with what looks like examples. I noticed some of the bold statements have no examples by them, is that because you dont have that particular symptom?

Old 02-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Inactive

lasia221 HB User

Had another thought I wanted to post to you. Some of the statements in bold, I can't think of the right way to word the further explanations or examples.....
It's heartening to hear you speak positively of my list and the idea of it, I just wish that doctors felt that way. Hopefully I'll find a doctor that will care and be impressed and pleased with the list that I spent alot of time on (which is for my benefit as well as theirs), but the past 2 docs haven't been that way. So I'm a bit scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *

Old 02-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #5

oceanchic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasia221
Had another thought I wanted to post to you. Some of the statements in bold, I can't think of the right way to word the further explanations or examples.....
It's heartening to hear you speak positively of my list and the idea of it, I just wish that doctors felt that way. Hopefully I'll find a doctor that will care and be impressed and pleased with the list that I spent alot of time on (which is for my benefit as well as theirs), but the past 2 docs haven't been that way. So I'm a bit scared.
I just wanted to say that reading your list was almost like reading a complete description of myself. ALmost scary.......... I am 24 years old, currently taking a combo of adderall xr & wellbutrin.... does it help? yes! does it solve everything? No...I like yourself have had a lot of struggles and wish there was something to magically make me "normal" The only thing that keeps me going is that I except myself, I except that I am not like everyone else and I deal with it. Don't get me wrong, it is a hard thing to do, I get depressed and I have good and bad days but all I can do is keep myself informed on ADD and keep working with myself. Just reading this web site has helped me, I never knew there were so many people in the world that were like me. Hope this helps you as well! Just knowing that your not alone is a start!

Old 02-29-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

I'm lucky I guess, I have a great doctor and a great pharmacist. I take supplements. My doctor knows what supplements I'm taking. Everytime I go in I take a variety of tests to check for improvement. Im her first ADHD patient using alternative treatment methods. Whenever I bring in lists, or any organised information she's always pretty impressed and always reads through all of it and then talks about it with me. Your doctor should always be willing to talk about your concerns. If you write them out before hand they should be happy because you are saving them the time and energy of getting the info. Theres lots of docs out there, if you dont have a good one, find a better one.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

kim840 HB User

Hi,

I have FMS and I often take a list of things I want to remember to ask of discuss. I definitely cannot rely upon my memory. My doc doesn't mind a bit. I know they can be in a hurry and impatient. If that's the case you might want to find a doc who WILL listen to you. It is good that you take an active part in your care. Take a stand and make them take the time to listen to you.

Good Luck
Marcia

Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
(female)

kim840 HB User

I am trying to learn how this posting works. It is very complicated to me.

I want to say that I have FMS and I take a list of things I want to discuss and remember with me. My doc doesn't mind a bit. He knows that it is part of the DD and that I need those lists. Your doc should appreciate your situation as well. If you have a doc that doesn't seem to want to take the time to listen to you, then I'd think of finding a doc who will.

Good luck.... Marcia

Old 02-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
(female)

kim840 HB User

My husband has ADD. I have FMS. So we live in the world of "confusion" a lot! lol

My heart goes out to you! My FMS really effects my memory and concentration, etc.

We organize our thoughts and the things we need to do the best way that we can. It is in the form of lists me! I leave signs around the house for my husband to remember certain things. We leave our keys and wallet, etc. in the same place each time we put them down. Trying to be as consistent and regimented in actions and using lists is helpful for both of us.

Your doctor should fully understand your need to bring a list and to organize your thoughts. If he is impatient with you then you need to have a conversation with him about that.

We really need to be our own best advocates in all of our medical needs.

God Bless!
Marcia

Closed Thread