It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
Inactive

lasia221 HB User
effexor

Is Effexor really used to treat inattentive ADD?

the mean psych doctor that gave me the horrible test and said I was likely more depressed than anything gave me the Effexor, saying that it alone was being used more to treat ADD.
It didn't do squat for me, I've tried it two different times.
I'm j ust curious.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User
Re: effexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasia221
Is Effexor really used to treat inattentive ADD?

the mean psych doctor that gave me the horrible test and said I was likely more depressed than anything gave me the Effexor, saying that it alone was being used more to treat ADD.
It didn't do squat for me, I've tried it two different times.
I'm j ust curious.

it has been used...but very limited!!! actually i read somewhere that prozac is often used a lot more than effexor at helping with inattentive add. there is no scientific proof that effexor works even though there are studies being conducted now about this subject.
i was on 450mg. effexor for 6 months and didn't help my add at all!!! didn't do a thing for my depression either. i believe this is because my main problem was add that went untreated when i was a child..i then developed severe depression as a teenager. once i started taking dexedrine, both symptoms of my add and depression were significantly reduced within weeks. even though effexor is marketed as an snri, and says it is a potent reuptake inhibitor of both serotonin and norepinephrine, it mostly blocks serotonin. studies done showed that for every 4 parts of serotonin reuptake blocked, only 1 part of norepinephrine is blocked...and the dysfunction of dopamine and norepinephrine is believed to cause the symptoms of add.
if he is reluctant to prescribe you a stimulant, which i think is just plain stupid and unprofessional, have you tried wellbutrin? that seems to work for some.
my doc also would not prescribe me a stimulant even though i have been on at least 7 antidepressants..so i just left him and went to someone who was willing to work with me. gotta do what u gotta do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Re: effexor

we have a very liberated GP, and my DH is finally (after a year) doing well on wellbutrin/dexedrine, and coming off the effexor as much as poss. (ie, until he gets depressed again, and then he may continue at that dosage) ...

i can't tell you how happy we are ... my DH started dexedrine a week ago, and the next day he was calmer ...

you need to get yourself another doctor because, as sflaboy says, effexor was the drug of choice a very great while ago (and i don't even know why -- it didn't work) ... imo, it's not even useful as an AD, for neither my DH nor me ... and your doctor's mean, to boot ...

phooey!!

jb

Closed Thread