It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

batmom2918 HB User
School Problems...

i POSTED BEfore about having problems w/my son's school. Well i put in a request for a 504 plan, handed it to the principal myself and she told me that its what i wanted, but she would talk to the school shrink again and see.
today she calls and tells me there is nothing they can to, there is no test or evalation they can to. what can i do now???

Old 02-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: School Problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmom2918
today she calls and tells me there is nothing they can to, there is no test or evalation they can to. what can i do now???
Most school districts won't test for ADHD. This isn't a problem. Just get it in writing from your doctor that your child is diagnosed with ADD and, in his opinion, needs accomodations in the classroom under Section 504.

That's assuming that 504 is "all" you want for your child. If your son's ADD is severe enough that you think he needs special education services then you want the doc to say DS is diagnosed with add and needs special education services under IDEA.

A doctor's letter *should* be all you need for section 504. For a Special Ed IEP, you're going to need the teacher backing you up that his educational performance is adversely impacted to the extent that he needs special ed services.

Get a letter from your doc, add your own cover letter saying that you are giving them this diagnosis on this date and that you await the date of the evaluation for 504 or special ed (whichever you choose) meeting. Keep a copy for yourself. If you're afraid that they're going to give you grief, send a copy to your district's special education director.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

batmom2918 HB User

well just got a phone call from the school psych. and we talked more about what i was trying to do for my son. he is calling his supervisor to set up a meeting with their revue board from special ed. to see what areas need to be tested. and go from there. i do believe that his Adhd is causing a LD in its self. but am aslo going to bring up to his doctor the posibiltiy of him having ODD or possible bi-polar. thnks for all your help through this.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
well just got a phone call from the school psych. and we talked more about what i was trying to do for my son. he is calling his supervisor to set up a meeting with their revue board from special ed. to see what areas need to be tested. and go from there. i do believe that his Adhd is causing a LD in its self. but am aslo going to bring up to his doctor the posibiltiy of him having ODD or possible bi-polar. thnks for all your help through this.
You're welcome! Keep us "posted".

Old 02-27-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
(female)

akjoha HB User

Quote:
i POSTED BEfore about having problems w/my son's school. Well i put in a request for a 504 plan, handed it to the principal myself and she told me that its what i wanted, but she would talk to the school shrink again and see.
your post caught my eye as to the problems me and my daughter went thru with her son (my grandson)It has been absolute hell for him from about 2nd grade up to middle school.I think we could write a book about the schools and their short comings with add kids ect.Most teachers want them out of their class and usualy push to have them diagnosed !He has been picked on! Ridiculed by teachers in the classroom!ect, we could write a book!It still makes me very angry as I was the one who drove him to and from school ect,and was very involved with what was going on!I wish you luck in helping him, as my grandson didnt even want to go to school and we finally found out why!akjoha

Closed Thread