It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

Chellaine HB User
Question

Never mind

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-28-2004 at 11:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Cocaine binds to sperm, and scientists speculate whether or not that could cause developmental problems. So far, no birth defects have been linked to a father's exposure to cocaine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

Chellaine HB User

Never mind

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-28-2004 at 11:24 PM.

Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellaine
This is kind of humiliating, but I really need to find out if anyone has any information.
My 4 year old son is the result of a fly by night affair (although I have been with my husband for 15 years) my husband accepts him and has raised him as his own and loves him very much.
I found out, after I got pregnant, that the man that I was having an affair with was a crack addict, boy can I pick them.
He was on crack when I conceived my son.
I have found some information, but not alot, about crack cocaine use by the father affecting the children. Apparently, it DOES affect them.
Does anyone have any more information?
Thank you all for listening(reading).
Chellaine

HI
I read your post with interest. My nephew was conceived with a man who was a crack cocaine user for many years. My sister has been raising her son alone and now at the age of 4 has been diagnosed with ADHD and PDD. I have heard from some people"its because of his father the crack addict" I have heard from other people that only if the women are users. I too would be interested to hear about any research done on this topic. My nephew has severe disabilities and is being medicated for aggression.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

Chellaine HB User

[url]www.crack-cocaine.org/effects.htm[/url]

Towards the bottom of the page under "Crack and Pregnancy"
Then under "Effects of crack on the fetus"

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-29-2004 at 08:17 AM.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #6

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Heal
HI
I read your post with interest. My nephew was conceived with a man who was a crack cocaine user for many years. My sister has been raising her son alone and now at the age of 4 has been diagnosed with ADHD and PDD. I have heard from some people"its because of his father the crack addict" I have heard from other people that only if the women are users. I too would be interested to hear about any research done on this topic. My nephew has severe disabilities and is being medicated for aggression.

Even though crack and other drugs *may* be related to some disorders when used by the male, it is rare that this is the actual cause of the problem.

The chances of the father himself having AD/HD or a related disorder is far greater and probably the reason he was using "crack" in the first place.

The child probably just inherited the gene from his biological dad.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
Even though crack and other drugs *may* be related to some disorders when used by the male, it is rare that this is the actual cause of the problem.

The chances of the father himself having AD/HD or a related disorder is far greater and probably the reason he was using "crack" in the first place.

The child probably just inherited the gene from his biological dad.
The brain is responsible for hormone production and other functions/chemicals in the body, so why wouldn't something as toxic as crack cocaine be considered to NOT to have the ability to effect cells in sperm? I'd say it could be very likely, more likely than a easy "gene" explanation, which is the typical idea from the psychiatric community. They act like the toxic and dangerous chemicals some people ingest into their bodies really have no significance in these cases....that's hogwash and can not be proven. Chemicals have already proven to cause things even years after the person no longer is around them, or sometimes it's even a cumulative effect...look at asbestos, agent orange, LSD flashbacks, etc.

Also, I believe in not only chemical damage handed down through biology, but also certain learned behaviors too. I think there are genes responsible for many diseases of course, yes, we all know of that, but it can't be automatically assumed when a behavior or learning problem comes up! There are way too many environmental, social and external factors that can also come into play.

I don't mean to argue with you personally, I am arguing with the very vague ideas of psychiatry when involving otherwise mentally healthy people, who just have some type of inefficiency, into a biological or inherited mental disease scenario while totally disregarding and ignoring the very real effects of chemical toxins on the body.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #8

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
The brain is responsible for hormone production and other functions/chemicals in the body, so why wouldn't something as toxic as crack cocaine be considered to NOT to have the ability to effect cells in sperm? I'd say it could be very likely, more likely than a easy "gene" explanation, which is the typical idea from the psychiatric community. They act like the toxic and dangerous chemicals some people ingest into their bodies really have no significance in these cases....that's hogwash and can not be proven. Chemicals have already proven to cause things even years after the person no longer is around them, or sometimes it's even a cumulative effect...look at asbestos, agent orange, LSD flashbacks, etc.

Also, I believe in not only chemical damage handed down through biology, but also certain learned behaviors too. I think there are genes responsible for many diseases of course, yes, we all know of that, but it can't be automatically assumed when a behavior or learning problem comes up! There are way too many environmental, social and external factors that can also come into play.

I don't mean to argue with you personally, I am arguing with the very vague ideas of psychiatry when involving otherwise mentally healthy people, who just have some type of inefficiency, into a biological or inherited mental disease scenario while totally disregarding and ignoring the very real effects of chemical toxins on the body.

It would seem logically possible, true, and easily explainable, but the statistical results shown from scientific studies show that this is not the cause of certain dysfunctions and disorders. If it was the woman it would be a different story.

The reason for the gene explanation is not an easy way out, it's an answer given not because no one wants to do research, but because of how many times this scenario has been seen time and time again.

I'm willing to bet if you were to analyze both the father and son on various levels you will be suprised on similarities. The problem is people psychologically don't like or want to hear the "G word" because they have no control over it.

This is not an explanation of the "psychiatric community", these are results shown from a multitude of scientists from various specialties that worked or work on genome research.

Last edited by brainf0g; 03-01-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

You are entitled to your opinion. However, if the father and son have simularities it could be a learned behavior passed down or around from him or other significant family members. Children do learn behaviors/ideals from parents and other family members but mostly on a level in the subconcious, because they always have rebellion, growth and peers as well as parents to learn from and develop their own personality from. For example, I feel I am nothing like my mother; I have different opinions/ideals from her yet my own children will comment occassionally where I will act or do something exactly like her....when they tell me this, I truely see no connection and quite surprised! I think those behaviors can vary from sibling to sibling too, since my brother has no problems drinking alcohol, for example, but I don't touch any...neither do my parents. But that behavior I have in common with them is a more obvious one for me.

But besides all that babble, my whole point was really that toxic chemicals themselves are already known to cause brain damages or problems....and that's what should be considered by psychiatry, but it is not at all considered because they rather give more drugs (controlled, yes, but still drugs) and make sure the person will consent to such because they will be re-assured it is all necessary because of heredity.

However, with illegal drugs (and some prescriptions), or even perhaps what damage occurs to a fetus if a mother or father injests drugs, the damage may be permenant or long lasting enough to cause a need for medication I suppose in some extreme cases.....because I'll agree if someone is hallucienating, lost touch with reality, insane, etc., meds may be called for in those people.

But I don't agree with the massive intake of psychiatric meds to people who don't have such symptoms. Psychiatry has stepped out of bounds; medicating people who are not insane but have very difficult lives or situations. That's brain experimentation and can be dangerous, especially for developing brains as in children...sometimes leading to real mental disease as mentioned above and can cause countless health problems, occasionally some serious ones like diabetes and heart problems.

I just don't buy into the psychiatric theory that a person can abuse cocaine and not have some brain/body/cell damage. It can not only harm that person's mind taking the drug, but also harm cells in the body which could account for sperm/fetus damage. That damage may not translate into a birth defect but perhaps brain chemical problems in the future for that child.

So, as to the original point of this thread , I definately would take the whole article that addressed this sperm damage issue very seriously and not brush-off the whole thing and blame an unknown gene.

Closed Thread