It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 100
Chellaine HB User
Question

Never mind

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-28-2004 at 11:23 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,019
Janik HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Cocaine binds to sperm, and scientists speculate whether or not that could cause developmental problems. So far, no birth defects have been linked to a father's exposure to cocaine.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 100
Chellaine HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Never mind

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-28-2004 at 11:24 PM.

 
Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 472
Hope2Heal HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellaine
This is kind of humiliating, but I really need to find out if anyone has any information.
My 4 year old son is the result of a fly by night affair (although I have been with my husband for 15 years) my husband accepts him and has raised him as his own and loves him very much.
I found out, after I got pregnant, that the man that I was having an affair with was a crack addict, boy can I pick them.
He was on crack when I conceived my son.
I have found some information, but not alot, about crack cocaine use by the father affecting the children. Apparently, it DOES affect them.
Does anyone have any more information?
Thank you all for listening(reading).
Chellaine

HI
I read your post with interest. My nephew was conceived with a man who was a crack cocaine user for many years. My sister has been raising her son alone and now at the age of 4 has been diagnosed with ADHD and PDD. I have heard from some people"its because of his father the crack addict" I have heard from other people that only if the women are users. I too would be interested to hear about any research done on this topic. My nephew has severe disabilities and is being medicated for aggression.
__________________
H2H

 
Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 100
Chellaine HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

[url]www.crack-cocaine.org/effects.htm[/url]

Towards the bottom of the page under "Crack and Pregnancy"
Then under "Effects of crack on the fetus"

Last edited by Chellaine; 02-29-2004 at 08:17 AM.

 
Old 02-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 95
brainf0g HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Heal
HI
I read your post with interest. My nephew was conceived with a man who was a crack cocaine user for many years. My sister has been raising her son alone and now at the age of 4 has been diagnosed with ADHD and PDD. I have heard from some people"its because of his father the crack addict" I have heard from other people that only if the women are users. I too would be interested to hear about any research done on this topic. My nephew has severe disabilities and is being medicated for aggression.

Even though crack and other drugs *may* be related to some disorders when used by the male, it is rare that this is the actual cause of the problem.

The chances of the father himself having AD/HD or a related disorder is far greater and probably the reason he was using "crack" in the first place.

The child probably just inherited the gene from his biological dad.

 
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
Even though crack and other drugs *may* be related to some disorders when used by the male, it is rare that this is the actual cause of the problem.

The chances of the father himself having AD/HD or a related disorder is far greater and probably the reason he was using "crack" in the first place.

The child probably just inherited the gene from his biological dad.
The brain is responsible for hormone production and other functions/chemicals in the body, so why wouldn't something as toxic as crack cocaine be considered to NOT to have the ability to effect cells in sperm? I'd say it could be very likely, more likely than a easy "gene" explanation, which is the typical idea from the psychiatric community. They act like the toxic and dangerous chemicals some people ingest into their bodies really have no significance in these cases....that's hogwash and can not be proven. Chemicals have already proven to cause things even years after the person no longer is around them, or sometimes it's even a cumulative effect...look at asbestos, agent orange, LSD flashbacks, etc.

Also, I believe in not only chemical damage handed down through biology, but also certain learned behaviors too. I think there are genes responsible for many diseases of course, yes, we all know of that, but it can't be automatically assumed when a behavior or learning problem comes up! There are way too many environmental, social and external factors that can also come into play.

I don't mean to argue with you personally, I am arguing with the very vague ideas of psychiatry when involving otherwise mentally healthy people, who just have some type of inefficiency, into a biological or inherited mental disease scenario while totally disregarding and ignoring the very real effects of chemical toxins on the body.

 
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 95
brainf0g HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
The brain is responsible for hormone production and other functions/chemicals in the body, so why wouldn't something as toxic as crack cocaine be considered to NOT to have the ability to effect cells in sperm? I'd say it could be very likely, more likely than a easy "gene" explanation, which is the typical idea from the psychiatric community. They act like the toxic and dangerous chemicals some people ingest into their bodies really have no significance in these cases....that's hogwash and can not be proven. Chemicals have already proven to cause things even years after the person no longer is around them, or sometimes it's even a cumulative effect...look at asbestos, agent orange, LSD flashbacks, etc.

Also, I believe in not only chemical damage handed down through biology, but also certain learned behaviors too. I think there are genes responsible for many diseases of course, yes, we all know of that, but it can't be automatically assumed when a behavior or learning problem comes up! There are way too many environmental, social and external factors that can also come into play.

I don't mean to argue with you personally, I am arguing with the very vague ideas of psychiatry when involving otherwise mentally healthy people, who just have some type of inefficiency, into a biological or inherited mental disease scenario while totally disregarding and ignoring the very real effects of chemical toxins on the body.

It would seem logically possible, true, and easily explainable, but the statistical results shown from scientific studies show that this is not the cause of certain dysfunctions and disorders. If it was the woman it would be a different story.

The reason for the gene explanation is not an easy way out, it's an answer given not because no one wants to do research, but because of how many times this scenario has been seen time and time again.

I'm willing to bet if you were to analyze both the father and son on various levels you will be suprised on similarities. The problem is people psychologically don't like or want to hear the "G word" because they have no control over it.

This is not an explanation of the "psychiatric community", these are results shown from a multitude of scientists from various specialties that worked or work on genome research.

Last edited by brainf0g; 03-01-2004 at 04:42 PM.

 
Old 03-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: A little embarrassing, but need to ask.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, if the father and son have simularities it could be a learned behavior passed down or around from him or other significant family members. Children do learn behaviors/ideals from parents and other family members but mostly on a level in the subconcious, because they always have rebellion, growth and peers as well as parents to learn from and develop their own personality from. For example, I feel I am nothing like my mother; I have different opinions/ideals from her yet my own children will comment occassionally where I will act or do something exactly like her....when they tell me this, I truely see no connection and quite surprised! I think those behaviors can vary from sibling to sibling too, since my brother has no problems drinking alcohol, for example, but I don't touch any...neither do my parents. But that behavior I have in common with them is a more obvious one for me.

But besides all that babble, my whole point was really that toxic chemicals themselves are already known to cause brain damages or problems....and that's what should be considered by psychiatry, but it is not at all considered because they rather give more drugs (controlled, yes, but still drugs) and make sure the person will consent to such because they will be re-assured it is all necessary because of heredity.

However, with illegal drugs (and some prescriptions), or even perhaps what damage occurs to a fetus if a mother or father injests drugs, the damage may be permenant or long lasting enough to cause a need for medication I suppose in some extreme cases.....because I'll agree if someone is hallucienating, lost touch with reality, insane, etc., meds may be called for in those people.

But I don't agree with the massive intake of psychiatric meds to people who don't have such symptoms. Psychiatry has stepped out of bounds; medicating people who are not insane but have very difficult lives or situations. That's brain experimentation and can be dangerous, especially for developing brains as in children...sometimes leading to real mental disease as mentioned above and can cause countless health problems, occasionally some serious ones like diabetes and heart problems.

I just don't buy into the psychiatric theory that a person can abuse cocaine and not have some brain/body/cell damage. It can not only harm that person's mind taking the drug, but also harm cells in the body which could account for sperm/fetus damage. That damage may not translate into a birth defect but perhaps brain chemical problems in the future for that child.

So, as to the original point of this thread , I definately would take the whole article that addressed this sperm damage issue very seriously and not brush-off the whole thing and blame an unknown gene.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Arghh...embarrassing question tiredpoet Beauty & Cosmetics 8 01-15-2008 12:40 PM
Little things make me cry - Depression or Anxiety? MagsMom Depression 3 10-26-2007 06:18 AM
A little embarrassing bercol1 Autism Spectrum 9 01-08-2006 09:32 PM
Embarrassing Stomach noises...help!!! MzTami Allergies 0 09-26-2005 09:43 AM
IBS Embarrassing Moments jadontusmommy Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) 7 06-06-2005 11:06 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!