It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #1

LLinder HB User
Effects of too much Concerta

We recently switched our 8 yr old son from 18 to 27mg of Concerta. In the past week we have seen an increase in agression, impulsiveness and disruptive behavior. He was sent out into the hallway 2X this week at school for this behavior (This is something new.) The 18mg seems to have lost its effectiveness. But could the reaction we are seeing with the 27mg be a result of too much medication in his system? By the way, most of these behaviors are occuring around the time the medicine peaks (1 - 2 p.m.)

thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Effects of too much Concerta

Sounds like too much meds to me. What treatments other than stimulant medication have you tried?

Remember these meds are related to cocaine/amphetamines so you are likely to see side effects similar to those seen in people who abuse street drugs. High doses can cause aggitation, irritability, aggression, and other similar behaviors.

If you have already tried other safer methods but medication was the only thing that worked then talk to your sons doc about lowering the dose back to 18mg, if its not working well anymore then maybe a change in medication would be an option. There are supplements that can be taken along with medication. It may help to reduce the dose needed.

If you have not tried any other treatment methods then I suggest you do that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

LLinder, my son did not fare well on Concerta. He too became very emotional and then I discovered he was not sleeping at all which put him in a very bad mood. He then switched to Adderall which he did well on but once again we were moving his mg's up too often. Now he is on 25 mg of Strattera and 15 mg of Adderall. This has been a heaven sent combination for him. It was like they both cancelled out any side effects of the other. He is happy, eating so much better, sleeps great, behaving at home like an angel, getting really good grades. Still in a little trouble at school but what can you expect in a class with 13 eight year old boys!

We have only been using this combination for about a month so I don't know what the future holds, but so far so good. There is another mom on this board whose son takes Concerta and Strattera with excellent results too. You might want to talk to your doctor.

Free Spirit-you always give great advice but remember that some children do better on meds than with alternative treatments. Each person is different. I wish you would refrain from throwing out that "cocaine" reference all the time. Parents have to follow their own intuition and do what they feel is best for their child. Just like I am sure yours tried to do for you.

Old 03-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #4

Just..Me HB User

I would propose that it is just his body adjusting to the new dose. If I rememebre Concerta does have a build up period. I am thinking it is a period of about 13 days if I recall my discussion with my pharmacist.

Concerta stopped working for my son - he got too tall and too big... lol (good linebacker material) so we had to find an alternative.

"If you don't control your mind, someone else will."
--John Allston

Old 03-08-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

When I mention alternative treatments I'm not just talking about supplements, diet and the treatments I use. I'm talking about all the wonderful treatments out there that are very rarely taken advantage of. It only makes sense to try the safest treatments first and move on to others only if its absolutely necessary. Way too many children are given these medications without even having proper testing done. The TOVA and the ADD surveys they use to diagnose are a complete joke! What about getting a complete physical, blood tests, urine tests, to rule out physical causes of the symptoms? What about testing learning styles to insure that a child is truely ADD and not just a tactile or right brained learner?

If medication is the only thing that works then so be it. But it does not change the fact that these meds are related to cocaine/amphetamines and people need to be aware of this. I am shocked at the number of people who are taking adderall and have no idea that it is amphetamine salts.

My parent tried to do what was best for me? By never researching, never reading, never looking for safer options. Drugging me throughout my childhood with amphetamines which can cause numerous problems. Why? So that I would not be hyperactive, so that I would not be diseruptive, so she wouldnt have to spend as much time helping me with my homework? Yes, she tried to do what was best for me and ended up doing more harm than good. All because other treatments were not explored first. If they had been, a lot of issues caused by the adderall would have been avoided! Of course, she is not the one who had to deal with the effects of the medication. To her the adderall = a well behaved coopertive child who did better on homework. Now I am OK, I have recovered from the years of being medicated. I know many many others however, who are not so lucky.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:41 PM   #6

missyob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
My parent tried to do what was best for me? By never researching, never reading, never looking for safer options. Drugging me throughout my childhood with amphetamines which can cause numerous problems. Why? So that I would not be hyperactive, so that I would not be diseruptive, so she wouldnt have to spend as much time helping me with my homework? Yes, she tried to do what was best for me and ended up doing more harm than good. All because other treatments were not explored first. If they had been, a lot of issues caused by the adderall would have been avoided! Of course, she is not the one who had to deal with the effects of the medication. To her the adderall = a well behaved coopertive child who did better on homework. Now I am OK, I have recovered from the years of being medicated. I know many many others however, who are not so lucky.
Free ~ Spirit
Hi there. It sounds to me like you have alot of resentment about your parents putting you on meds as a child. I am sorry that you went through such a bad experience.

I am a 34 year old mom with 3 boys. 2 of my 3 boys have adhd and I have add. I only wish my parents had taken some steps to help me as a child. I always knew I was different but did not understand any of it.

My boys are on meds as well as myself. I am so happy that we have the option of taking medication to help us be more "normal" and productive with our lives. My oldest son is old enough to say no to the meds if he wants but he realizes that without them his life is much more difficult.

I wish you well.

To: LLinder
My oldest son (13 years old) takes Concerta 36mg. His doctor wanted to up his medicine and when she did he was very aggressive. It was just too much medication for him. We lowered his dosage and what I found helpful to keep the meds working is med breaks. Corey does not take his meds on Sundays and for a few days during school breaks. While it is much more "crazy" around here it gives his body a rest from the meds and helps them work much more effectively.

Also remember what works for one child will not necessarily work for another child. My youngest is on Adderall and Concerta does nothing for him. I have taken Adderall and Concerta and neither helped me but Wellbutrin seems to be doing wonders. I guess we just have to be patient and experiment.

Big Hugs,
Missy

Old 03-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

missy,
The medications did make life easier for me for a while. But they can cause problems, physical and psychological. If you plan on taking them for your entire life then you dont have to worry about the horrible rebound that lasts months and months while your brain gets used to functioning without meds. Of course, the longer you take them the higher the risk of negative effects. There are much safer healthier ways to help most of these kids. Medication should be the last line of defence! People just go along with what everyone else says, its ridiculous! Some kids are more active than others, some are not good at homework, some kids get bored faster than others, some are less mature than their peers. Most of these are just normal non-ADHD kids. People seem to forget that children develope at different rates. That not everyone has exactly the same learning style, or personality traits. Everyone is different but society is trying to make everyone the same. Its sick and sad. Many children are wrongly diagnosed and drugged for years. Some end up having long term psychological or physical problems caused by the medication. If in fact a person is ADD there are many safe options but the doctors dont inform people of them. Sure meds are great for some people, but since there is a possibility of extreme problems it just makes more sense to try the SAFEST options first! You are an adult, your brain is finished growing. They give these medications to children who are 2 years old. There is no way to be absolutely positive that the true problem is ADD(expecially in young toddlers/children) but thats not stopping doctors from prescribing potentially harmful medications. Poor desperate people are being decieved about the accuracy of the diagnosis and the safety of the treatment.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #8

missyob HB User

I totally agree with you. It took me 2 years to actually put my boys on meds. It was a last resort. And so many parents with children that have add/ahdh think that giving meds is a cure. There is so much more to it than that. We have our good days and bad days in this house but I use alot of behaviour modification also. When my youngest was diagnosed at the age of 5 I immediately read up on it as much as possible. I read every book I could find and did alot of research on the internet. I know that you wont agree with me about putting my boys on meds but it has helped them be so much more productive with their lives.

Have a wonderful day.

~ Missy

Old 03-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
People just go along with what everyone else says, its ridiculous!
Quote:
Most of these are just normal non-ADHD kids. People seem to forget that children develope at different rates.... Its sick and sad.
Quote:
Poor desperate people are being decieved about the accuracy of the diagnosis and the safety of the treatment.
I have to tell you, Freespirit, that I find these statements offensive.

Let me assure you that my husband and I exhausted all avenues before first arriving at a diagnosis of ADHD and second before using medication as a treatment. I've yet to meet a parent of an ADHD child who was poor and desperate, who went along with what everyone else was saying, or who forgot that children develop at different rates.

The parents I deal with would much rather be told that their child's disability is a result of immaturity, poor diet choices, allergies, or even bad parenting than to be told that their child has ADD. The parents I deal with have tried for years to treat their children's ADD without medication. The decision to medicate children, in my experience, is seldom taken lightly.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Missy,
I dont agree or disagree with you about your medication choices. I think the meds are helpful for some, like I said though, I just believe it should be a last resort. Too many children are medicated who dont really need to be.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

index.html,

If you choose to be offended by something thats your choice.

How many parents and children do you "deal with" on a daily basis?

Maybe its different in your state but where I am ADHD is very overdiagnosed. Most times the only testing done before diagnosis and medicating is 1 teacher survery and 1 parent survey.

Just because your experience has been different does not mean that my experience/opinions are wrong or invalid. I see no reason for you to be offended by what I said. Just because you havent had experience with the overdiagnosis/overmedicating doesnt mean that its not happening!!!

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 03-09-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Closed Thread