It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking husband FINALLY doing well ... thanks!

hi all,

well, last friday my husband finally started to take dexedrine, combined with the wellbutrin/effexor that he's been taking for about a year (uselessly )...

i hope i'm not speaking too soon here, but what a difference the dexies make -- as i said, he began taking them on friday, we noticed an immediate improvement on saturday, and we've had only one argument since (for which he apologized!) ...

i think it's the dexedrine/wellbutrin combo, so he's slowly cutting back on his effexor -- we'll see ...

i went to our GP with him finally, and said, "i want my husband back!"; the psychopharmacologist's report had just come backwith many alternatives, so we tried the first ... and it seems to have worked! (he's a little hyper tho', , but that might go away) ...

i can't thank you enough, all of you who contributed with your stories, both of having ADD and what it's like to live with someone with ADD ... i really hope this improvement is permanent now, and appreciate your help ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 03-05-2004 at 10:39 PM.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: husband FINALLY doing well ... thanks!

Glad he's doing well.

Dexedrine is a stimulant so the effects show within an hour or so of taking the med. As you may or may not know this med is related to amphetamine/speed so does carry some risks. This would explain why your husband is extra hyper.

I have a question though, you said you told the doc "I want my husband back" Has he not had the ADD symptoms for the entire time youve known him?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: husband FINALLY doing well ... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Glad he's doing well.

Dexedrine is a stimulant so the effects show within an hour or so of taking the med. As you may or may not know this med is related to amphetamine/speed so does carry some risks. This would explain why your husband is extra hyper.

I have a question though, you said you told the doc "I want my husband back" Has he not had the ADD symptoms for the entire time youve known him?
yes, but we didn't know that, and for him, they increased over time and with stress ... he's very unlikely to do any research on anything he might have, and i'm even wondering if he gives our GP the right symptoms (ie, he might say, "i have a headache", which he may at the moment, and he really means, "i'm depressed") ... he's not at all good at "the big picture", and he's poor at planning, for example (in corporate reviews, whatever company he works for always criticizes his planning skills and it's always been a reason he's not advanced as far as he should)...

anyway, a couple of years ago, i figured out he had it by looking at one of those ADD questionaires, and then i read more and more, bought a couple of books, and the light went on for both of us ... then he went to our GP and described his symptoms, also his counsellor and our pharmacologist, they all agreed that he had it (there was a psychologist whom he'd been recommended to who charged $1200 just to see if he had it, and then would treat it, so we said, "uhhh, no thanks") ...

he has a lot of other problems: depression, guilt, dad-issues (he had a horrible upbringing), so we're not there yet ... in fact, we had our second argument in as many days because he's rude and mean (verbally) and the more the years pass, the worse it gets ... he always had ADD, but the rudeness/meaness/depression weren't there so much, until i had a stroke 8 years ago and now have thyroid disease and so the stress has increased for my husband, a lot ...

yes, i know dexedrine is speed and carries some risks, but our marriage was breaking up and his self-esteem was at an all-time low (did i tell you he'd lost his job??) ... and he's also taking wellbutrin and effexor ...

his main problem is that he thinks a pill will fix it, and it won't: he has to do some work on his own and, from past experience, i doubt he'll do that ...

it's no picnic for either of us ...

jb

Closed Thread