It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 06:03 AM   #1

Big_Mac HB User
Coping with ADD Child

My twelve year old son has ADD. His grades are still excelent and he goes to a school for advanced smarty pants, but since his organisational skills lack so horribly he forgets assignments all the time and gets bad marks. My wife and I had been working with him, his doctor and his teachers, but he is still lost a lot of times. His medication is only doing so much and I am looking for additional ways to support a transition to broader self sufficiency.

I want to hear from anybody in the know and ADD adults specifically on how weight lifting, special diet and/or supplementation could help. Personal experiences preferred but not exclusive.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Coping with ADD Child

Hi. I am an adult with ADHD. I was medicated for it when I was younger. Due to the fact that these medications are related to cocaine/amphetamines I strongly believe they should be a last resort.

I am now off of medication. I use alternative treatments including supplementation, meditation, and healthy eating.

Since your son is only 12 you should be helping him to organize his notebook/backpack. Have a folder that you and his teacher can sign in order to insure that nothing is forgotten (at home or at school).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #3

MELYLOVE HB User

Hello I Have A Stepson That I Really Think That He Have Add, I Went In The Computer And Pull Info About Add And For The Symptoms I Really Think That He Have Add. But I Dont Know What To Do To Certified That He Have That I Dont Know Where To Bring Him For That Or Basicly And More Important I Dont Know What Kind Of Test They Should Do To Him. Please Let Me Know Thanks Melylove

Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Hey Mely

The symptoms of ADD are associated with many different physical and psychological issues. What are some of the specific things that lead you to think he has ADD? Does ADD run in his family? How long has he had these symptoms?

Do you yourself have ADD or any other issues you are dealing with?

Old 03-09-2004, 06:04 AM   #5

MELYLOVE HB User

Hey Free Spirit .... I Print Everything About Add And Odd And I Really Think That My Son Have That , His Grandfather Have That , His Cousin Have That So I Really Think That He Have That Condition. He Dont Listen To Adult , He Blame Someone Else For Everything That Happend , He Dont Keep Task At School , Etc Etc Etc . I Dont Know What To Do ...please Help Me

Old 03-09-2004, 06:16 AM   #6

missyob HB User

Hi Big Mac

My sons are also very smart and in the talented and gifted programs at school. 2 of my 3 sons have adhd and I have add. I cant answer your question about diet and excercise specifically but I do have an idea for you.

What we (the teachers and myself) do for the boys is instead of a folder for each class the boys have a clipboard. They put ALL their assignments on the clipboard. It includes homework, schoolwork, papers that need to be signed ect..... It has made a drastic improvement in organization and getting those assignments turned in. It makes it easier for the boys to have one place where everything goes instead of them losing a folder here, putting homework in the locker, losing stuff on the bus ect......

We still lose things but it made a difference for us.

Good Luck,
~ Missy

Old 03-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Mely,
There are lots of things that can cause ADD symptoms. And there are lots of reasons that kids act out.

You never answered, are you dealing with any issues? Learning disabilities? or any other issue?

It might be good if your stepson can come and post here to talk to us. That way we can all get a better picture of whats going on.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:17 AM   #8

MELYLOVE HB User

Hi Free Spirit Thanks For Answer My Message... Yeah I Read About Add And Odd And I Think That He Really Have Both, He Is A 10 Yrs That Been In Alot Of Situation In His Live. Live In A House That Have Domestic Violence And Also Have A Mother That Always Scream Instead Of Talk To Him, I Am Glad That He Is With Me And His Dad Because In My House He Dont Have None Of That Problems.
I Think He Need Alot Of Love But Other Than That He Need Some Help Because His Grandfather And Cousin Have The Same Condition That He Have With The Same Symptoms That I See On Him..... I Make Him A Appt With A Terapy Psycology And He Will Decide What He Have.... But No Matter What Is His Problems I Thanks God Everything That Put That Little Kid In My Live ... I Love Him With All My Heart... Thanks Mely

Old 03-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Mely,
Any child who is raised in a situation like what you described is likely to show symptoms of ADHD/ODD. He is most likely having emotional problems. I suggest you try counseling and other treatments before drugging him.

P.S. You still havent answered my question. What issues are YOU dealing with? Im not trying to be rude, but by your posts it just seems like theres something going on with you.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:12 PM   #10

MELYLOVE HB User

Free Spirt Thanks For All Your Opinion , And Yes I Went Today For A Sycology Because I Want To Help Him, He Already When To The First Metting And Then In 2 Weeks He Have Another One. The Issues That I Am Dealing With Him Is Lieng Alot , He Was Stealing , Bleaming Everyone For His Mistakes, He Did't Want To Listen To Me Or The Teacher And The Teacher Was Calling Me All The Time At Work. He Grab My Daughter One Time From Her Hair And Sweep The Floor With Her, He Does't Do Homework And He Tell Me That The Teacher Is Lying That He Did The Homework And She Sd That He Did't. Now And If I Keep Telling U I Dont Finish.... Now U Know What Kind Of Issues I Am Dealing At Home With Him And At School, Now Tell Me What U Think About All This ... Thanks Melylove

Old 03-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sounds like some problems other than ADHD. (He may or may not have ADHD along with his other problems) He sounds very angry, and rightfully so! Any child who had to live in a situation like the one you described is bound to show symptoms caused from the emotional chaos they've suffered.

But when I ask what issues you are dealing with I mean YOU PERSONALLY. Not issues with him, but issues with yourself. Do you have LD or another condition?

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 03-11-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #12

MELYLOVE HB User

Free Spirit I Dont Have No Issues I Really Think Is Hurting Me Alot Trying To Help Him And Try To Do Alot For Him When That Is A Completly New Situation For Me, Since Any Of My Kids Have That.... Thanks God I Am Really Happy In My Relation And With My Other Kids The Only Think That Got Me Worry Is Him. That All

Old 03-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELYLOVE
.... But No Matter What Is His Problems I Thanks God Everything That Put That Little Kid In My Live ... I Love Him With All My Heart... Thanks Mely
Melylove, sounds like you and he are lucky to have each other! I'm glad that you are taking him to see the psychologist. I think you are going in the right direction.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #14

MELYLOVE HB User

Thanks Index.html Yes I Am Glad That I Have Him In My Live ..... I Love Him With All My Heart Because He Is The Boy Thati Never Have .... Yes U Are Completly Wright That Is The Best That Happend That He Is In My Live And I Am In His Live.... Bye Melylove

Closed Thread