It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 11:32 PM   #1

acronymsrfun HB User
Strattera stopped working - happen to anyone else? - Can I mix with ritalin?

Hey everyone. I've been on Strattera 25mg x 2 a day...then just 50mg in the morning...
I tried to get up to 75mg, but it just completely killed my appetite and made me completely lose focus and not be able to do anything.

So i've been relatively happy at the 50mg for the past few months. HOwever, in the past couple weeks, I've noticed it completely stop working. It's like I now take the medication but I don't even feel any effect. I go to study, and I read one line and I'm off staring at the wall or thinking about other things. The main reason I found out I was diagnosed with ADD was b/c of my sleeping problems. At first, Strattera helped tremendously with this, but now even if I take 3mg Ativan and 10mg of Ambien or even 50mg of benedryl, I don't feel anything! It's like my body has no sensitization to pills anymore! And I've also developed a voracious appetite! I can't stop eating and I can't quell my desire for food.

I know that's a lot said right there, but has anyone else had a similiar experience with strattera? I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow and we were debating about adding on an SSRI as well...but I know that last time I took paxil, it made my ability to focus even worse! So I don't know if I want to go that route. I have never tried ritalin, but that is another way we were thinking of going.

Initially, when I was taking the strattera, I had extremely weird palpitations during the day..but also, in the past couple weeks that has disappeared. Should I try upping my dosage of Strattera again? Or maybe can I take Strattera and Ritalin together? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Strattera stopped working - happen to anyone else? - Can I mix with ritalin?

Naturally, your doctor can advise you better than we can with regards to your medication. The sleep aids that you are taking for sleep *may* be making your inattention symptoms worse during the day. Anything that makes you groggy will make it harder to concentrate...

There are some drug-drug interaction warnings between straterra and the SSRI's. Some pdocs will prescribe them together anyway but the dosages may need to be decreased.

Several of us here have kids that take both straterra and a stimulant with good results.

Let us know what your doc says!

Closed Thread