It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #1

jmsmpc HB User
Adderall and sleep!!!!!

Hey everyone,

About 4 months ago I started taking adderall for adult add. My doctor recently increased my dosage from 20 mg a day to 80 (40 in the morn, 40 around 2pm). Ever since, I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping at night. Anyone have any remedies or OTC medicines that they have found that worked. I tried melatonin and other sleep aids but they seem to make the situation worse. Thanks!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Adderall and sleep!!!!!

That dose is way too high!!! According to the FDA 40mg daily is the maximum dose doctors should prescribe for ADD. Of course there are rare cases where someone may be prescribed more but the fact that your doctor jumped your dose from 20mg to 80mg is VERY ALARMING! Are you sure he didnt mean for you to be taking 40mg daily? 20mg morning 20 afternoon? That would make much more sense. No responsible doctor would jump your dose by 60mg. Usually they increase it gradually until it is effective (10mg or so) There is no reason for your doctor to take your dose up to 80mg without even trying the top "safe" dose (40mg) beforehand!! GET A NEW DOCTOR ASAP!

And in the mean time I would suggest you down your dose to between 20mg-40mg daily.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 03-09-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #3

missyob HB User

Hi there.

I took Adderall at 20mg - 10mg in the am and 10mg in the afternoon. I could not sleep either. I started taking tylenol pm just to get one good nights sleep during the week. Please dont do it though, my doctor almost took me outside and shot me when I told him. I did not want to take another med on top of the adderall just so I could sleep so I stopped taking it.

My youngest son switched from adderall to adderall xr and has been sleeping wonderfully since switching to the extended release version.

There are meds out there to help you sleep. I would suggest speaking to your doctor about this. I am sure he/she can recommend something to you.

Good Luck
Missy

Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

More info -

Here is the info on proper dosage for this medication. Notice, as I said... 40mg is the top dose. If your doctor knew what he was doing at all he would have first put you on the top "safe" dose and then raised it if he felt it was necessary later on!

"DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Regardless of indication, amphetamines should be administered at the lowest effective dosage and dosage should be individually adjusted. Late evening doses should be avoided because of the resulting insomnia.

daily dosage may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. Only in rare cases will it be necessary to exceed a total of 40 mg per day. Give first dose on awakening; additional doses (1 or 2) at intervals of 4 to 6 hours"

Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #5

tri_lingual_one HB User

Ditto with what everyone else has said. Hey upped that dose way to much. Taking the 40 at 2pm is just murder. Go have your doctor give you a lower dosage.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
Inactive

bearboy HB User

The maximum daily dose is 60 mg, and almost always only children and narcoleptics need to get up that high.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #7

Aztec Indian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyob
Hi there.

I took Adderall at 20mg - 10mg in the am and 10mg in the afternoon. I could not sleep either. I started taking tylenol pm just to get one good nights sleep during the week. Please dont do it though, my doctor almost took me outside and shot me when I told him. I did not want to take another med on top of the adderall just so I could sleep so I stopped taking it.

My youngest son switched from adderall to adderall xr and has been sleeping wonderfully since switching to the extended release version.

There are meds out there to help you sleep. I would suggest speaking to your doctor about this. I am sure he/she can recommend something to you.

Good Luck
Missy
I take the same prescribed dosage of adderall that you do, and I do not find it to high.

Sometimes I cut the pill in 1/2 or 1/4 to fit my mood. Sometimes I can get by with a smaller dosage, sometimes I need more. A good night sleep is vital for someone with ADD.

Try taking 1/2 a dose in the afternoon.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
(female)

moreinfoneeded HB User

Also ditto on what was mentioned by "Free Spirit".

Until then, have you sought anything more natural to sleep? One medication to handle the affects of another medication is not always the best choice.

Have you looked up anything for natural remedies for sleeplessness?

Here is a list of some items suggested for insomnia;
Eat several hours before bedtime, making sure your meal is easily digestible.

• Avoid stimulants such as tea and coffee; a soothing herbal infusion of chamomile or limeflower makes a good substitute (warning: chamomile tea can cause vomiting if taken in excess).

• Before going to bed, try taking a calcium and magnesium supplement or a calcium-rich drink, such as warm milk, to help you sleep.

• Make sure your room is well ventilated and your bed comfortable. Use extra pillows to make yourself comfortable if necessary.

• Have a relaxing bath before bed.

• Ask your partner to give you a gentle head and neck massage to relieve tension.

• Homeopathy Take a combination remedy of Avena sativa, Passiflora and Valeriana before going to bed and another if you wake up during the night. If insomnia is persistent, consult a professional homeopath.

• Bach flower remedies A few drops of Rescue Remedy in a little warm water may help to relax you if you are wakeful.

• Aromatherapy Add two or three drops of the sleep-inducing lavender essential oil to a base oil and use it with a massage before bed. Or try a hot footbath containing lavender oil to encourage energy to drain from the head so that sleep comes easier.

• Herbalism Take one tablet of Valerian or Passiflora before bedtime to calm and relax you and encourage sound sleep.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I agree with not taking another med to handle effects from another med. Besides, sleep meds eventually lose their effectiveness due to tolerance, something they are infamous for.

Avoiding coffee and tea is a standard rule as caffeine is a stimulant, but lets not forget that so is Adderall. Lowering the dosage or stopping the drug would eliminate the problem.

Closed Thread