It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #1

jojobon HB User
Unhappy Strattera use side effects?

I am new here so hopefully at the right place but I NEED help with info on
Strattera! My 10 yr old grandson was dx'd with what they say is a very mild case of adhd. HOWEVER the doc has continuously upped the dosage til he is now on 60 mg and now has violent mood swings and uncontrollable anger and thinks his family all want him dead to the point he wont sleep alone for fear someone will try to kill him! THIS IS NOT NORMAL i know it isn't! this child was always happy and i called him my gentle soul as he was good natured and now to see him going thru this its horrid and I dont know how to help his dad and stepmom with information! He's constantly fighting now with his younger siblings and goes into a rage when told no to something and we have found him sleeping with his brother or next to his brothers bed almost every nite the past week or so since they upped this dosage! I know darn well its the medication but how do I convince his parents that its the meds not the child! The reason they dx'd him in the first place was a drop in his grades at school and an inability to stay concentrated for long but he never ever had mood swings or this kind of behavior! Please if anyone can help me out with some info I would be most grateful. Thank you!
A worried grandma!

Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 AM   #2
(male)

html HB User
Re: Strattera use side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobon
THIS IS NOT NORMAL i know it isn't!
No, you're right, that kind of paranoia isn't a desired response to Strattera (or to any medication!). Someone should talk to the doctor ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #3

jojobon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by html
No, you're right, that kind of paranoia isn't a desired response to Strattera (or to any medication!). Someone should talk to the doctor ASAP.
Thanks..I have spoken to his stepmom this am and she is waiting on a call back from the center that diagnosed him and I have put in a call to his pediatrician who is the prescribing md for it so hopefully we will have some results by the end of the day today. Thanks for taking time to care enuf to respond to a very desperate grandmother!

Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

Jojobon, my son had bad effects from Concerta. You just never know what will work for one kid and maybe not another. I think it is definetly the Strattera. For some it works great, for others not so great. He should be taken off of it immediately, for his emotional sake and his family and switched to a totally different program.

My son is now on Adderall and is doing great and is very happy again!

Old 03-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

T-bone-Mama HB User

I agree that it could be the Strattera that is causing his new behavior problems. My 9 year old son was on Strattera for several months last year, and also had a drastic change in behavior. He was not doing any school work, hid in the coat closet because he was sure that the school was going to be bombed, constantly disrupted the class by calling out and getting out of his seat, and ended up spending the majority of each day in the office, where he cried, made threats and told the Principal and secretary that he hated them. He was suspended from school for a week and they insisted that I take him to the mental health crisis center for an evaluation. His teacher was certain that they would admit him. The study team also re-evaluated him during this time, diagnosed him with PDD, (he's not) and recommended that he be placed in a class for emotionally disturbed children. When I finally realized that it may be the medication, I switched him to short-acting Ritilan and he was back to his normal, sweet self within a few weeks. (Strattera takes a while to build up and get out of the system). So much for a non-stimulant med - it is still a mind-altering drug; far worse than the stimulants for some.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #6

kenziebrei HB User

I am 27 and finally Dx with adult add I'm on strattera 60 mg. But my friends son is on it and they put him on 60 mg. And he was the same way. They lowered it to 25 mg and is doing better, but he is still tried and get a little moody on it.

Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #7

marisasmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenziebrei
I am 27 and finally Dx with adult add I'm on strattera 60 mg. But my friends son is on it and they put him on 60 mg. And he was the same way. They lowered it to 25 mg and is doing better, but he is still tried and get a little moody on it.
My 6 yr old 36 lb (lost 3-4lbs on med) daughter has been on 25mg Stratterra since 12-1-03 and she is having horrible mood swings and outbursts of anger when told no to something, even something very small...she doesn't seem to be able to control the duration of these outbursts either...she calls me hateful, disrespectful names, kicks and hits and throws things and is just mean and nasty.This can go on for 30 minutes or more without any further comments or arguing from me. She will just continue the tantrum all by herself because she gets so worked up and angry. Nothing I do helps end these at all. She had temper tantrums before the med but I don't remember her being so hateful and mean ..she did kick and screamn but she was only 5 yrs old, so some of that was normal and she did seem to be able to get hersefl under control with some comforting. She is usually a loving, sweet caring child that will hug a stranger and always wants to cuddle and "love". She is also having headaches and has lost weight. I stopped the med once but all of her inattentive habits came back, so started again, behavior got so bad I asked if we could go back to 18mg, but that did not help. I am now considering taking her off of it altogehter and trying another natural supplement. I am just not ready to try stimulants yet..her father (divorced) has a drug problem and I am afraid to introduce anything addictive to her.
I am sorry to hear about the hardships all of the others on this thrwad have gone through with Stratterra, but it is comforting to know my child is not the only one who did not handle Stratterra well. I was so hoping it would be the "miracle" for her.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

This child should be evaluated for the possiblity of childhood onset bipolar disorder.

This can often look like ADHD (often like ADHD and ODD) when it occurs in children and is VERY frequently misdiagnosed as such.

When this happens and medication is given (both stimulants and antidepressants/Strattera), manic episodes can be triggered and aggressive behaviour is frequently on of th emost noticeable reactions to ADHD medications in bipolar children:

From a Google search for bipolar childhood ADHD

"An estimated 50 percent to 80 percent of those with COBPD have ADHD as a co-occuring diagnosis.

Since stimulant medications often prescribed for ADHD (Dexedrine, Adderall, Ritalin, Cylert) have been known to escalate the mood and behavioral fluctuations in those with COBPD, it is important to address the bipolar disorder before the attention-deficit disorder in such cases. Some clinicians suggest that the prescription of a stimulant for a child genetically predisposed to develop bipolar disorder may induce an earlier onset or negatively influence the cycling pattern of the illness.

What is the difference between ADHD and COBPD?

Several studies have reported that more than 80 percent of children who go on to develop COBPD have five or more of the primary symptoms of ADHD-distractibility, lack of attention to details, difficulty following through on tasks or instructions, motor restlessness, difficulty waiting one's turn, and interrupting or intruding upon others. In fact, difficulties with attention are so common in children that ADHD is often diagnosed instead of bipolar disorder. Actually, ADHD often appears before a clear development of the frequent alternating mood swings and prolonged temper tantrums associated with COBPD.

While the symptoms of COBPD and ADHD may be similar, their origins differ. For instance, destructiveness and misbehavior are seen in both disorders, but these behaviors often seem intentional in those with COBPD and caused more by carelessness or inattention in those with ADHD. Physical outbursts and temper tantrums, also features of both disorders, are triggered by sensory and emotional overstimulation in those with ADHD but can be caused by limit-setting (e.g., a simple "No" from a parent) in those with COBPD.

Furthermore, while those with ADHD seem to calm down after such outbursts within 15 to 30 minutes, those with COBPD often continue to feel angry, sometimes for hours. It is important to note that children with COBPD are often remorseful following temper tantrums and express that they are unable to control their anger.

Other symptoms, such as irritability and sleep disturbances often accompanied by night terrors with morbid, life-threatening content (e.g., nuclear war or attacking animals), are commonly seen in those with COBPD but are rarely associated with ADHD. "

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 03-29-2004 at 03:14 AM.

Closed Thread