It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

badkat HB User
Concerta vs Adderall

Wondering if anyone has good luck with Adderall?? I've read alot about some anger issues on it. We are currently being switched from Concerta to Adderall because of some mood swings (not mean ones) just very moody when coming off. He has been on Concerta 54mg since he was 5 now 9 so the doc. is wanting to switch, he is starting out at 10mgs?? sounds drastic to me---what is the difference?? I haven't got the prescription yet, have to pick it up so I'm not sure if it is plain Adderall or XR .

Anyone using it?? Give me any indication what I'm in for???

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 03-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #2

oceanchic HB User
Re: Concerta vs Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat
Wondering if anyone has good luck with Adderall?? I've read alot about some anger issues on it. We are currently being switched from Concerta to Adderall because of some mood swings (not mean ones) just very moody when coming off. He has been on Concerta 54mg since he was 5 now 9 so the doc. is wanting to switch, he is starting out at 10mgs?? sounds drastic to me---what is the difference?? I haven't got the prescription yet, have to pick it up so I'm not sure if it is plain Adderall or XR .

Anyone using it?? Give me any indication what I'm in for???

Thanks,
Michelle

I currently am taking Adderall XR and I really like it. I am 24 years old so I take a much higher dose but for me it has worked really well! The XR form is very steady and compared to the regular adderall which I used to be on I think that coming off of it is a lot easier. It is a much slower process as compared to the regular adderall which gave me a lot of up's and downs which made me a little crabby! Hopefully this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

My son has done so much better on Adderall then Concerta. He takes 15 mg of Adderall. The only problem was that he was getting used to the dose within a months time and having to be moved up. Now he takes 15 mg of Adderall and 25 mg of Strattera. This has been a WONDERFUL combination for him. The happiest we have all been since this mess started. Combining both meds seems to cancel out the bad side effects of each one.

When he was on the Concerta he was extremely moody and very tired all the time. He sleeps, eats, and feel good now.

Good luck with the switch. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

badkat HB User

Thank you both SOOO much for the info. We start tomorrow on the new med. it is Adderall XR 10mg to start.

Keeping fingers crossed!!!

Michelle

Old 03-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

I was on meds when I was younger. I am currently using an alternative treatment plan wich is working much better than meds did, and is a lot safer. If you havent looked into alternative treatments please give them a try.

As for comparing the meds 10mg XR to start is a good starting dose. It may end up being about 20mg XR daily. The differences I'd say are this:

Adderall XR -
Lasts about 6-8 hours
Some kids have emotional instability (crying, sadness for no reason)
The "rebound" (when it wears off) with adderall isnt as extreme

Concerta -
Lasts about 8-12 hours
Anxiety/Moodiness/Rebound when it wears off

of course its diff for everybody.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
(female)

badkat HB User

HELP!! maybe this is concidence but my son took his first pill this am, and noon I got a call from the school - he is sick (( He is never sick, so I don't know if this is his new med., or he is sick??

Anyone experience this at first? Thanks for any input.

Michelley

Old 03-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Is he running any fever? Headache? Stomachache?

Old 03-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
(female)

badkat HB User

At school he said it was his stomache (never threw up) but now at home he says he has a headache.??? Hoping it is just a fluke!! and not the med. (not that I want him sick) but I know alot is going around our schools right now. He seems ok---laying around a little more than normal???

Thanks for the input!!

Michelle

Old 03-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Headache and stomach ache, unfortunately are pretty common for the first 2 - 3 days on a new stimulant. If it is the med, it shouldn't last long.

Of course, it could be a touch of a "bug", but I'm inclined to think it's the medication. Good luck with it!

Old 03-11-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

Good luck Michelle and keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Make sure he eats a good breakfast with lots of protien and that should help stop the stomach ache side effect. The headache should go away within a week. If not then the XR might not be the right choice. Regular adderall might not cause the headaches.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
(female)

badkat HB User

Thanks to all your words of encouragement!!So helpful!!!

My son is doing way better and so far the evening mood swing isn't there!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this all lasts!

Michelle

Closed Thread