It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #1

brendamccraw2 HB User
Adderall XR vs Adderall

My almost 6 year old daughter has tried Adderall XR and Concerta and they both caused tics.She is on Strattera now and it is not working.This is the second time we have tried Strattera.Last time we tried it for 6 weeks and it didn't work.I thought if we tried it again it could work this time but I don't see any changes.She almost ran out in front of a car the other day.She is real impulsive.She has never tried the regular release stimulants.I am thinking that reg adderall might not cause tics like the XR because it doesn't stay in your system as long.When she was on Concerta and the Adderall XR she would tic in the evenings.It is breaking my heart to see her struggling in school.She was doing so good on the concerta.She was the best reader in her class.Now she can't hardly read.She told me the other day that she was stupid and hates herself.It is really hurting her self esteem.She doesn't understand why she's not doing as good as she was a few weeks ago.Please Help!Thanks,Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adderall XR vs Adderall

Brenda, you might want to stick with the Straterra longer before deciding that it's not working. It really took 2 - 3 months before we saw optimal results in our 13yo son. His self-esteem has improved dramatically on it. He no longer says he hates himself and or that he thinks "just dying might be better".

A 6-week trial might not be long enough. If you don't mind me asking, what dose is she on and how long has she been at that dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #3

brendamccraw2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Brenda, you might want to stick with the Straterra longer before deciding that it's not working. It really took 2 - 3 months before we saw optimal results in our 13yo son. His self-esteem has improved dramatically on it. He no longer says he hates himself and or that he thinks "just dying might be better".

A 6-week trial might not be long enough. If you don't mind me asking, what dose is she on and how long has she been at that dose?
She weighs 49 pounds and is on 25 mg.She has been on that dose for a week now.She took it last year for 6 weeks.She seems happier now.She is eating ,sleeping,and not as hyper.Her attention is just not there.Thanks for replying.Brenda

Old 03-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamccraw2
.She seems happier now... Her attention is just not there...
That she's happier now is great news. If it were me and I was worried about tics, I'd wait out the Strattera.

But, as her mom, you know her better than anyone else!

Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #5

brendamccraw2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
That she's happier now is great news. If it were me and I was worried about tics, I'd wait out the Strattera.

But, as her mom, you know her better than anyone else!
Her doctor said it should work in two weeks.Does it really take a couple of months?I have heard that it doesn't work when they are sick.She does have 2 ear infections.I really didn't like the side effects of the stimulants but she was doing better in school.I hated the tics.She was jerking her neck and rubbing her hair all the time.I am willing to give it more time if it will work.

Last edited by brendamccraw2; 03-12-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

Brenda, my son is doing great with a combination of Adderall RX and Strattera. The great thing that has happened is that they seem to both cancel out the negative side effects of each other.

He started out on just Adderall RX, it didn't work to well. Then we switched to Concerta, it kept him up at night and very emotional. Back to the Adderall RX which was working as long as we upped his dosage each month. Now he is on 25 mg of Strattera and 15 mg of Adderall RX. He is almost 8, weighs 49 lbs. He is eating better, sleeping great, making great grades and having really good behavior. And he is happy! You might talk to your doctor about combining the Strattera with something else.

Good luck!

Closed Thread