It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #1

ihateadd HB User
Taking concerta with alchohol.

Recently(2weeks ago) i started taking 18mg. doses of concerta. Im 14 years old and admit to having a past with marijuana, poping pills, and heavy drinking. Im wondering if this will have an effect on me while taking this medication considering my past history with drugs. What are the effects of taking concerta while smoking cigs, weed, or drinking? If anyone knows PLEASE tell me. Thanks

Old 03-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
(male)

sodawater HB User
Re: Taking concerta with alchohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateadd
Recently(2weeks ago) i started taking 18mg. doses of concerta. Im 14 years old and admit to having a past with marijuana, poping pills, and heavy drinking. Im wondering if this will have an effect on me while taking this medication considering my past history with drugs. What are the effects of taking concerta while smoking cigs, weed, or drinking? If anyone knows PLEASE tell me. Thanks
ihateadd - you really need to be honest with your doctor about any drugs or alcohol you are using. possibly you don't want to because you are worried they will tell your parents? i understand this, if so, but drug interactions can be serious and vary between people. some can even cause permanent damage or life-threatening complications. when i was about your age, i got very physically sick from using alcohol while taking an antidepressant.

are you comfortable enough with your doctor to be open with him/her? if so, maybe you can tell your doctor what you are taking and promise to be honest in exchange for confidentiality from your parents.

i don't want to sound like a nagging adult, but please make sure to do this - you need to be very careful with meds. good luck....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Were you just recently diagnosed with ADD? Did you have the symptoms before you began using drugs?

You can call a pharmacist anonymously and get information regaurding interactions with meds and illegal drugs.

You also really should tell your doctor about your history with drugs. Its important that they are aware of this, expecially since they are prescribing a controlled substance.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:35 AM   #4

ihateadd HB User

Where i come from, my parents know and grew up with the doctors around town. I dont believe we have a population of like 3000 people in this small town so any well known person like a doctor is someone my parents have a good relationship with. My doctor has kids that are my age and that i hang out with and i know if i tell him about me drinking and smoking and stuff that he will tell my parents, even if he doesnt im not so sure he'd want his daughter hangin out with me anymore. Im kind of in a bind here..i need to speak up and say something but i just dont know how. I appriciate you taking your time and replying to my message..well lets face it, i probally shouldnt drink or anything but so far it hasnt affected me academically, im a straight A student, I just have trouble paying attention to things and staying focased, hence why im now taking concerta. I have friends that have told me not to worry about drinkin on this medicine and iv tried to look it up, all i could find was that i should tell my doctor but im terrified i would get into trouble. My parents think im an angel and i kina wanna keep it that way. oo well..not tryin to brag but i can drink like hell anyways i can even outdrink my guy friends..maybe its bc im not scared of passing out and they are idk but if i take it slow maybe ill be ok. thanks soo much for the help tho!

Old 03-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
(male)

sodawater HB User

Hmm. It sounds like you're not comfortable talking to your doctor, which leaves you in a tricky situation. A good doctor SHOULD not judge you - regardless of your relationship with his daughter, or his with your parents, he is bound by the hippocratic oath to HELP you. This gets more complicated when you are a minor, because he is also obligated to let your parents know if you are putting yourself at risk.

Anyways, just remember, you need to get this information in order to protect yourself and take good care of yourself. Besides possibly being harmful, the medication might not work properly if you are drinking alcohol or taking other drugs.

Please think strongly about being brave and confronting your doctor - you could level with him and tell him you don't want your parents to know and also that you are worried he will judge you and want you to stop hanging out with his daughter. If you are very very honest, you will seem more responsible and he will might be more comfortable protecting your confidentiality.

I know this will be scary and difficult to do, but you are the only one who stands to get hurt if you don't do it.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Ihateadd - I agree with the others that you really need to talk to a doctor or a pharmacist. It's never a good idea to mix chemicals when you don't know how they are going to react. Is there another teenager who could give you a ride to the next town over where you could talk to the pharmacist?

I can't tell you that combining Concerta with anything is safe. I will say that I'd be the most concerned about the "pills you've popped". Not knowing what those are, I think they may be your greatest danger (more so than alcohol and marijuana).

Perhaps when your ADD is better controlled with the Concerta, you won't feel the same need to medicate yourself with alcohol, pot, and pills! It does work that way for alot of people.

Good luck, sweetheart!

Old 03-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
(male)

sodawater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Ihateadd - I agree with the others that you really need to talk to a doctor or a pharmacist. It's never a good idea to mix chemicals when you don't know how they are going to react. Is there another teenager who could give you a ride to the next town over where you could talk to the pharmacist?

I can't tell you that combining Concerta with anything is safe. I will say that I'd be the most concerned about the "pills you've popped". Not knowing what those are, I think they may be your greatest danger (more so than alcohol and marijuana).

Perhaps when your ADD is better controlled with the Concerta, you won't feel the same need to medicate yourself with alcohol, pot, and pills! It does work that way for alot of people.

Good luck, sweetheart!
I agree with Index - you should at least talk to a pharmacist if you can't be open with your doctor. BUT I'm concerned that your doctor won't be able to properly help you figure out how well the Concerta is working if you don't let him know about all the variables at work. Especially b/c one of the pre-requisites for ADD diagnosis in teenagers is that they NOT have recently started smoking pot, which it sounds like you did.

If your doc knew you were using drugs he might not have prescribed the Concerta in the first place. Think this over and good luck!

Old 03-14-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodawater
BUT I'm concerned that your doctor won't be able to properly help you figure out how well the Concerta is working if you don't let him know about all the variables at work.... If your doc knew you were using drugs he might not have prescribed the Concerta in the first place.
These are very good points that sodawater made, ihateadd. You *really* should talk to your doctor.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #9

ihateadd HB User

Thanks for all of the comments, i think i might have a friend call the pharmacist with me and talk to them, thats true about the pot...it might have made a differance if i hadnt of started smoking but i dont know if thats the reason why im on medicine..doctors continplated putting me on ritaline when i was a few years younger. pot may have triggerd the add and added to the problem..but thanks for all your help i really apriciate it..keep replying!

Old 03-16-2004, 01:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Pot doesn't trigger ADD. While drug and alcohol abuse CAN be due to the ADD (i.e. many people with ADD and AD/HD end up abusing drugs and alcohol), abusing drugs and alcohol can in itself also cause ADD-like symptoms like memory loss, lack of concentration, hyper-or hypoactivity and so on.

So if you have not told the doctor that you do these drugs, it is entirely possible that

a) You don't have ADD, your problems are caused by your staggering alcohol and drug abuse or
b) If you do have ADD then the doctor would never have prescribed you a controlled substance if he had known about your addictive personality and drug/alcohol abuse

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 03-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #11

ihateadd HB User

Thanks for all the help, me and a friend called a pharmacist who said it would take anywhere from 10-30 days to fully get out of ur system and he strongly advised that i not drink more then 2 drinks while taking concerta.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
(male)

sodawater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateadd
Thanks for all the help, me and a friend called a pharmacist who said it would take anywhere from 10-30 days to fully get out of ur system and he strongly advised that i not drink more then 2 drinks while taking concerta.
hey - that's great that you followed through and got the info. just remember that after two drinks, one's judgement starts to get a little cloudy - so make sure you really stick to the limit. and just a bit of nagging advice from a 'grownup' - watch out for smoking pot too much. it's physical effects may be fairly negligible, but i've watched it really screw up people's lives over time....

good luck!

Closed Thread