It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User
Depression w/ Concerta

Someone PLEASE help me! My daughter has been on concerta for a few months now, and the past few weeks she has been exhibiting signs of sadness. But today she actually talked about hurting herself. She is 9 years old, and this scares me to death. She actually said she wanted to "hurt herself by breaking her leg." Granted, this wasn't a death threat, but she is scaring me! I never wanted her on this medication anyway--her dad put her on it without telling me--and we have joint custody; with him having more placement during the school year. It's a LONG story--I have looked into all the symptoms and she has shown MOST of them...headaches, stomach pains, vision problems, depression...I tried talking with the doctor, and he hasn't done anything! Right now my ex and I are going to court over custody AGAIN (he takes me every two years), so this medication issue is ONE of the many things being brought up. But until then, what do I do???

Old 03-12-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Depression w/ Concerta

Hi. Im sorry your daughter is going through this Just a little backroung on me. I have "severe ADHD", was on medications when I was younger, but now I am using supplements and other alternative interventions. I also work with many ADHD children daily.

Doctors are very quick to diagnose ADHD. It is very overdiagnosed. Most doctors do not do full physicals and full psychological evaluations (they are supposed to do this) as part of ADHD testing.

The medications used are related to cocaine/meth aka speed. These medications are helpful for some children but should be a last resort due to the possibility of causing severe, and sometimes lifelong problems. You will not find information on most of the side effects, the drug companies pay for most studies and they also choose what gets published and what does not.

Do you know the dose your daughter is taking?

Stimulant medications can cause depression, and in rare cases psychosis and/or OCD type symptoms(obsessive thoughts). When I was younger on stim meds I became depressed. I know it was from the meds because when I was not taking them it went away. This was mostly with adderall for me, but all of them can cause it.

Another possibility is that your daughter was misdiagnosed with ADD but she really has depression or a different psychological issue which is being made worse by the medication.

Sometimes people have ADHD along with other issues.

Another thing to think about, how is her home life? Does she do OK living with her dad? Is he nice to her? Has she experienced any sort of trauma lately that would cause these emotional problems?

Some questions:
I asked this earlier but it was a while back in the post... What dose is your daughter taking?

Do you believe your daughter even has ADD? Were you present at the evaluation?

What tests were done to diagnose?

Is there any way you can call her doctor and let him know whats going on? Wanting to hurt herself is very serious. Talk to the doctor about how you think the medication might be the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
(male)

FearUntilClear HB User

Yikes... I'm 16 and on 36mg Concerta, the only thing I've noticed with it is the headaches. Very annoying, all the help they could offer though was "Take some asprin." LOL The headaches really hurt when I'm really physically active though, such as running. I'm also pretty tired at the end of the day. But it does help me more than it doesn't help me in the long run, helps me concentrate more. I'm going to get the dosage uped though, cause after awhile it starts working less and less. =\ Hope your daughter's alright and you get the help you need.

J

Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Thanks for the replies--sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you...Free Spirit you asked some wonderful questions. At this point, if I remember correctly--my daughter is on 18mg of Concerta. (I will check with the pharmacy tomorrow to make sure) She DOES not take it when she is with me, so remembering the dose isn't too simple for me! Sorry! Her dad and her get along ok, but him and his wife are the type to make sure she feels the need to "hate" her mom to make themselves feel better and more secure in the relationship. They get mad at her when she even thinks of mentioning something positive about my home. I myself believe that she DOESN'T have ADHD--that it's more of a depression thing, which wasn't tested. Of course it is touched in the questionaires, but an actual psychological wasn't done, which I have suggested. (thus the reason I am demanding she see someone when my ex and I have our THIRD custody evaluation) I have had it out with this doctor who prescribed this medicine, for the fact that he diagnosed her without my input--I was supposed to be at the appointment; had all the forms filled out, and then my ex bumped the appointment up without telling me. So, the doc had NONE of my info, family history, etc. And yet, he came to that conclusion. I took her to another doctor for a second oppinion and he said she exhibits signs of ADHD, but wouldn't put her on meds due to the condition of the custody struggle which is obviously effecting her; which may be the reason she is having problems in the first place. But yet, they (my ex and his wife) take the "quack" doctors annalysis over the other--because they want a QUICK FIX. I have read plenty of books to know that sexual/physical/emotional abuse can cause a child to have these types of behaviors, a child in a divorce situation can exhibit signs too. There were other things mentioned (too many to quote here) and it's amazing how many of them seemed to fit my daughter--yet here we are drugging her. (Well, at least I can say that I AM NOT)
I guess I am going to have to leave this up to the justice system when I go back for custody battle number 3. (him taking me AGAIN, not my choice)
Thanks for listening/reading!!!

Closed Thread