It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #1

skittlechick2oo HB User
Wondering

Since I was a freshman in high school, I have had a problem in school with making bad grades and not being able to maintain focus in and out of class on my schoolwork. I get bad grades and I canít seem to find an explanation for it. I am in college now, and I really cant afford to be making these bad grades. When I was in high school, the teachers wanted me to get tested to see if I had a problem, but my parents refused. So now that it is very important for me to be making these good grades, I have a problem actually doing it. When I am in class, I can sit still just fine, and I donít find myself leaving frequently. I think I take good notes, and I pay attention to the teacher. The problem is, when I come back from class to study what I had done in class, my mind is a complete blank. When I am supposed to read a selection out of a book for homework, I will read through it, and when Iím done, I have no idea what I just read. I am also not a good test taker. I could study for 3 hours and still not retain a single thing. The only time that I do remember things is when I am doing things hands on, like in a lab or something, but the only things that I remember are what I actually did, not the notes. What I am wondering is, do I have ADD or do I have a different problem? Thanks for your help!

Old 03-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Wondering

Hi skittlechick,

It's possible that you have ADD. Here's a link to the checklists used to diagnose ADD (because it's a government site, it should be okay for me to post here):
[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm[/url]
If you find that they apply to you, then you might want to talk to a counselor on campus about getting evaluated for it. I'd also ask how you go about getting a complete learning evaluation.

I say this because, whether or not you have ADD, it sounds like you have a learning style that makes it difficult for you to be as successful as you could be in the environment that you're currently in. It sounds like you learn much more effectively when you combine the verbal (lectures) or visual (reading) with a kinetic (tactile, touch) method of learning. Actually, most people learn better when they use more than 1 style, but this seems to be especially true for you.

Besides the evaluation, what you need to do is make your learning as active as possible. There was a thread called "Coping in College" that I'll bump up so that you can read it. Hopefully, it'll help.

Others here might have some additional input for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #3

skittlechick2oo HB User
Re: Wondering

Thanks a lot for that site! I have been on internet sites before, and I have even been told that I have the symptoms of ADD, but I guess what my mind is telling me is that I'm not actually sure if I have the signs and symptoms for a long enough period of time to have ADD. That's why I am questioning it. I don't want to have to get medication for something I don't have. (I don't take any medications, so I'm careful.) But thanks again for that site, it did help. I'll try to see if I can figure out which of those symptoms I really do have over the next few days and post some more info up here. I really appreciate your help!

Closed Thread