It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 05:13 AM   #1

staaryxnights HB User
is it true?

i'm 15, and when i was about 7, i was diagnosed with ADHD. when i was 13, i was taken off the medicine because i felt as if it wasn't working anymore. if i got straight A's on my report card, with out taking ritalin, then i didn't have to go back on it....ever. i ended up obtaining all A's. my doctor and my mom both said that i had grown out of it. is that possible? does it ever just...dissappear, or could i still have some traces of it sometimes?

Old 03-20-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaryxnights
does it ever just...dissappear, or could i still have some traces of it sometimes?
You've asked a frequently debated question.

Some people will argue vehemently that it can't ever be outgrown; that if it is, it was never "truly" ADD and that this is just another example of how often ADD is overly diagnosed.

Some people will tell you that yes, ADD can be outgrown.

I think most everyone would agree that, at a minimum, kids can learn to compensate for their inattention as they get older. Most people "settle down" as they get older and channel their hyperactivity into more socially acceptable outlets. And, you shouldn't confuse ADD with intelligence: many people with ADD have gifted IQ's and, when sufficiently motivated, can make straight A's.

So, I personally can't tell what's happened in your case, but I am happy that things are working out well for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Getting A's doesnt really mean you are or arent ADD. Lots of children labeled ADD do great in school without medication.

Most of the time when someone seems to outgrow ADD by early teen years 13-15 it indicates that they never had true ADD. They were just slow to mature.

Do you remember what you were like before you ever started taking medication? Do you think that you really have ADD? Lots of things can cause the symptoms, research the causes.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #4

staaryxnights HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Getting A's doesnt really mean you are or arent ADD. Lots of children labeled ADD do great in school without medication.

Most of the time when someone seems to outgrow ADD by early teen years 13-15 it indicates that they never had true ADD. They were just slow to mature.

Do you remember what you were like before you ever started taking medication? Do you think that you really have ADD? Lots of things can cause the symptoms, research the causes.
well before i was diagnosed, i hit alot of people all the time, and i could NEVER stop moving. caffine made me fall asleep. my mom read books about ADHD, and i had all of the signs. i went to a psychiatrist, and a special doctor...i don't know why i went to that one, but both of them also said i had ADHD. i also did the opposite of what i was told, i forget what that was called. and i was tactile defensive (spelling). i could never concentrate when i wasn't on ritalin. when i was on it, i could concentrate, i stopped hitting, and i wasn't as....moody. when they took me off of it for a week to see how i would do, the phone calls home from my principle were never ending. that's why i was diagnosed.

also, apparently i was very mature for my age..just...hyper and everything. this is what my mom said.

Last edited by staaryxnights; 03-27-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaryxnights
i'm 15, and when i was about 7, i was diagnosed with ADHD. when i was 13, i was taken off the medicine because i felt as if it wasn't working anymore. if i got straight A's on my report card, with out taking ritalin, then i didn't have to go back on it....ever. i ended up obtaining all A's. my doctor and my mom both said that i had grown out of it. is that possible? does it ever just...dissappear, or could i still have some traces of it sometimes?
Hope I can shed some light on your situation. I am currently taking a course on ADHD at York College of PA. You cannot just out grow ADHD. Symptoms are most severe between the ages of 4 and 10 years old. Yes, the two best interventions are behavior management and medication. Stimulant medications such as Ritalin are only meant to help a child focus, not remediate the problem. It's refreshing to hear that you are doing well. You're doctor may have misdiagnosed you when you were younger. Fortunately, no side effects can deter you from furthering your education. To answer your question - you cannot out grow ADHD.

Closed Thread