It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #1

brendamccraw2 HB User
Strattera for ADD or ADHD?

Is Strattera helping anyone with ADD.Does it control inattention?It is helping my daughter's hyperness and impulsiveness but not attention.Thanks,Brenda

Old 03-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Strattera for ADD or ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamccraw2
Is Strattera helping anyone with ADD.Does it control inattention?It is helping my daughter's hyperness and impulsiveness but not attention.Thanks,Brenda
Our experience with Strattera is *EXACTLY* like you described. My 13yo is on it and we've had good results with the hyperactivity and increased self-esteem. We've recently begun adding a low dose of Metadate (a long -acting ritalin) to help more with the concentration.

Our pedi-shrink says she's been seeing just the opposite in her practice with Strattera (ie improved attention/not so much benefit with the hyperactivity), but, oh well, I guess someone's gotta be different...

The combination of Strattera with a stimulant has, so far, been working incredibly well for my son! This is his first time to take a stimulant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I am so glad that I read your posts. My son has been on strattera for about 10 months and it has helped him so much with anxiety, depression, and obsessions. It has also helped with his nervous fidgiting (what his doctor considers hyperactivity). However it has not helped his attention at all.

I don't think my son actually has adhd. However, I am glad the Dr. thought he did because this is the perfect medicine for him and I doubt the dr. would have prescribed it for the other conditions. (Right medicine-wrong diagonsis-in my opinion)

The problem I am having is that going in for med checks is very annoying to me. I believe that my son's issues are anxiety, germ obsessions, and some depression. The Dr. however, thinks that these are just symptoms of the adhd. So the Dr.'s focus is always the adhd (which I don't think he has). He uses the fact that my son is doing so well in school as evidence that the medicine is working for the adhd. My son is getting staight A's-but he always has. However, he does not listen when the teacher gives instructions and he is often off task--just as he has been since kindergarten. School is very easy for him and he does not require the normal repetition. He also has never had to pay attention to do well in school. He is a very deep thinker and is usally working out a solution to something. Since he was a toddler he has had issues with anxiety and obsessions. But he never had any attention problems at home until fourth grade. (He is currently in fifth grade.)

I do have a six year old that I am certain has adhd. So I don't think this is just denial. When we first started seeing the psychiatrist I appeased my self by saying-It doesn't matter what we call it as long as he is getting the help he needs. But now it just bugs me.

Well the last two posts have given me some food for thought. I was convinced that because the strattera did nothing for whatever attention problems he is having, that was evidence that he did not have adhd. Now I am back to wondering if maybe he does have adhd in addition to the other problems.

Please tell me what you think-even if you doubt it is what I want to hear.

I am very curious to see how many others have found Strattera helpful but not for attention.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:14 AM   #4

brendamccraw2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn
I am so glad that I read your posts. My son has been on strattera for about 10 months and it has helped him so much with anxiety, depression, and obsessions. It has also helped with his nervous fidgiting (what his doctor considers hyperactivity). However it has not helped his attention at all.

I don't think my son actually has adhd. However, I am glad the Dr. thought he did because this is the perfect medicine for him and I doubt the dr. would have prescribed it for the other conditions. (Right medicine-wrong diagonsis-in my opinion)

The problem I am having is that going in for med checks is very annoying to me. I believe that my son's issues are anxiety, germ obsessions, and some depression. The Dr. however, thinks that these are just symptoms of the adhd. So the Dr.'s focus is always the adhd (which I don't think he has). He uses the fact that my son is doing so well in school as evidence that the medicine is working for the adhd. My son is getting staight A's-but he always has. However, he does not listen when the teacher gives instructions and he is often off task--just as he has been since kindergarten. School is very easy for him and he does not require the normal repetition. He also has never had to pay attention to do well in school. He is a very deep thinker and is usally working out a solution to something. Since he was a toddler he has had issues with anxiety and obsessions. But he never had any attention problems at home until fourth grade. (He is currently in fifth grade.)

I do have a six year old that I am certain has adhd. So I don't think this is just denial. When we first started seeing the psychiatrist I appeased my self by saying-It doesn't matter what we call it as long as he is getting the help he needs. But now it just bugs me.

Well the last two posts have given me some food for thought. I was convinced that because the strattera did nothing for whatever attention problems he is having, that was evidence that he did not have adhd. Now I am back to wondering if maybe he does have adhd in addition to the other problems.

Please tell me what you think-even if you doubt it is what I want to hear.

I am very curious to see how many others have found Strattera helpful but not for attention.
My daughter was diagnosed by 2 drs and she has adhd.Concerta helped her alot but caused tics.Strattera is really helping her mood better than anything.She is happy and playful now.She will do what I ask and will not argue like before.She goes to bed at 8:00 and falls right to sleep.She eats better than she did on concerta.She is not as hyper as she is off meds.Now that we added focalin she is doing great in school.I only give her 1 dose in the morning and you can't even tell when it wears off.The strattera is helping to even things out.I think you should get a second opinion and see if he really has adhd.At least the strattera is doing something for him.But if he really has adhd,you might can add a small dose of stimulant to help him even more.Good Luck!Brenda

Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn
Please tell me what you think-even if you doubt it is what I want to hear...
I have to agree with Brenda. I think you need to get a thorough psychological evaluation by a different psychologist (I'd go psychologist first, before a new psychiatrist). You're obviously not comfortable with this one and you need to be.

A couple of conflicting thoughts for you. On the one hand, you describe alot of ADD-inattentive behaviors. It's possible that this child is ADD-inattentive while your younger child is AD*H*D, making this one appear less ADD.

On the one hand, depression, anxiety and obsessions cause ADD symptoms. His inattention may result from these. It's also possible that he has a gifted IQ and is bored and doesn't pay attention for that reason. This is quite common with gifted children because there is no acceptable outlet for them once they already "get it" except to tune out while the teacher continues to explain it to the rest of the class.

So, to sum it up, I'd get another opinion to set your mind more at ease.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Thanks Brenda and Index for responding. It made me feel alot better to vent and know someone heard me. You had very good advise.

This doctor is actually "the second opinion". We saw a psychologist 1st who was very thorough. We had 2 one hour sessions with her. She was very detailed about his history. She diagnosed depression and anxiety. (He was actually quite depressed at the time-his usual depression is more mild-and in the winter-maybe SAD). She felt that the ADD type symptoms (he wasn't displaying any hyper-activity at the time) were secondary to the other disorders. She felt he did not need counseling but should see a psychiatrist for medication.

By the time we finally got an appointment with the Dr. my son was no longer depressed. The doctor spent about 35 min. alone with my son. He played with his water yo-yo balls all through the interview in a very hyper manner. (He was very nervous about being there.) Based on this and what my son told him we got a diagnosis of adhd.

I personally believe my son is gifted. However he has never been tested. That's what I had always attributed his attentions problems at school too. His fourth grade teacher was completely convinced that he was ADD. He received good grades in her class but they clashed. All of his other teachers had been more relaxed about his inattentiveness during lessons-since he always did well on his work. This is in part why we saw the psychologist. I knew the "ADD" would come up many more times from well intentioned teachers. And I thought it would be good to say we had done the testing.

He had already been on buspar for anxiety for about a year (pediatrician prescribed this). It helped the anxiety but was too sedating-he lost his sparkle. He also gained alot of weight on it. His first adhd med. was wellbutrin. It actually did help his attention but it caused severe agitation. Now he is on Strattera. It is a wonderful medicine for him. He has energy, he has sparkle, he is happy, he is able to keep his anxiety under control. Without the ADHD diagnosis I don't think he would have been given this medicine that works so wonderfully for him.

I don't feel I can switch doctors because he is the only one in my area that accepts my insurance. I also feel I need to maintain a relationship with him in case my son has another severe depressive episode. (It takes six months to a year to get in to see these guys if you are new patient.) Also my son really likes him and feels comfortable with him.

I do plan on being a lot more assertive at our next med check. This dr. needs to take a second and much deeper look.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I just wanted to add that I hope more of you will repond to the original message.

Originally Posted by brendamccraw2

I am very interested in other's experience with Strattera.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:06 AM   #8

brendamccraw2 HB User

BetsyAnn,I read a post where you said you take Wellbutrin for hairpulling.Do you have trich?My daughter pulled her hair out on ritalin and the other stimulants she tried.She had a huge bald spot.She does it sometimes now on Strattera.Does the Wellbutrin help alot?Thanks,Brenda

Old 03-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I do have trich. I started pulling when I was 12. I am now 39. I started taking Wellbutrin last spring. It works very well for me. I actually took my first wellbutrin when my son was on it for adhd. It helped him in so many ways but he was so aggitated and would become very angry. I thought I would try one of his pills to see what it was doing to him. (And I do know that everyone reacts differently and you should never take anyone elses prescription medicine.) The thing I noticed immediately is that I no longer had any urge to pull my hair. It took me by suprise. (I had never even considered seeking treatment for the trich. The less I tried to control it the less I would pull.) I also have only one patch I pull from so it is fairly easy to cover up with my other hair. The only time that I now have the urge to pull my hair out is when I am ovulating. (This is definetly related to hormonal stress--Most of the victims start around puberty.) I still have a bit of the habit (very different form the need) of pulling when I am in the car for long periods. Before Wellbutrin I had to give in. Now if my hand goes up to my head I just tell myself to put it down and it is no big deal. I am still amazed at how well the Wellbutrin works for me.

The Wellbutrin works well for ADHD for alot of people. It may be a good one to try.

When my son was 8 years old he became extremely anxious. In a week span he pulled enough hair to creative quite a large bald spot. Our pediatrician put him on buspar for his anxiety. He quite pulling and hasn't pulled since.

How old is your daughter. Had she pulled at all before the she was on medicine? Do you think that it may be a nervous habit for her or are you afraid she may have trich? Good luck. I know I was very frightened when I discovered my sons bald spot.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #10

brendamccraw2 HB User

She is almost 6.She never pulled her hair until she started taking stimulants.She would twirl her hair and form knots.Then she would pull the knots out.She formed the bald spot in 2 days.I found the hair in her pockets and in her bedroom.She would hide it.I know it is from the meds.It stopped after she stopped concerta but she needed something for her adhd so we tried adderall and she started back doing it.Now we are trying strattera and I catch her twirling sometimes.She can stop now.I think it is anxiety and maybe it will get better once strattera starts working.She's only been on it for 3 weeks and I hear it takes 6 weeks or longer to fully work.Thanks,Brenda

Old 03-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

That is too bad that the stimulants cause your daughter so much anxiety. I bet you will notice a big difference with the strattera in a few weeks. After my son was on the strattera for 5 weeks I wanted to stop because there was no difference in his behavior. However, by the 6th week the change in him was remarkable. Strattera was particulary helpful with the anxiety. It sounds like it has already helped your daughter. I hope it kicks in and helps even more. It is heartbreaking to see your child so stressed out that they pull out their hair.

I would be very interested in hearing if the stattera is helping with inattentiveness after she has been on it 6 or 7 weeks. Keep us posted.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #12

brendamccraw2 HB User

BetsyAnn,How old is you son?What dose is he on?Stephanie's dr raised her dose from 25 mg to 40 mg today because I called and told him it wasn't working.She only weighs 49 pounds so 40 mgs will be her max dose.I'm worried it will be too high.I think I'll wait and give the 40 mg saturday so I can watch for side effects.

Old 03-25-2004, 06:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

My son will be 11 in a week and weighs 110 lbs. He is on 40 mg. I did the same thing you. When it wasn't working we increased it to 60 mg. That was too much. He had stomache pains and was lathargic. The tiredness didn't kick in until he had been on the higher dose for a few weeks. My neighbor had her doctor increase the dose, at about three weeks, for her 7 year old daughter and and then had to reduce the dosage also.

With the other two medicines my son has tried effects where obvious after just one dose. With the two different meds I have used I could feel a difference after one dose even though it was stated that you may have to wait two weeks for an effect. Because of past experience with meds. I did not think the Strattera was working. Strattera is odd. You really do have to wait for the results.

Closed Thread