It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #1

rmluvlp HB User
Unhappy help with my son

Please help me with my son.....first he was on Adderall and it made him really layed back and he wasnt eating so i took him back to the doctor...they put him on concerta....he started off on 27mg..that didnt work so they upped it to 56mg..that didnt work so i took him back to the doctor and they put him on a 18mg with the 56mg......that really didnt work either....i dont know what else to do....he is voliet towards his siblings...and also me....he calls me bad names.....at school, he isnt doing well.....his teacher said he is going to have to stay back in the first grade again if he doesnt do better....i am working with him and his teacher is also...if she sees a big improvement in him, she said she will pass him....so i am praying.......he really needs to learn some respect towards me and when my boyfriend comes down......he treats him bad sometimes.....so could you please help me.......his doctor says he might need to be on some kind of mood med......i dont know....i dont want him taking to much.....so what do you suggest......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: help with my son

Hi rmluvlp,
I just commented on your other post what a HUGE dose of Concerta your 7yo is on! It concerns me that your physician keeps upping the dose when you're not even seeing results.

Some questions:
1) Did your son have a thorough learning/psychological evaluation done? If so, by whom? I'm wondering if perhaps more is going on with your child than "just" ADD. The violence you describe is not typical of ADD alone.
2) Who is prescribing his meds? A child psychiatrist or a family physician?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

When my 7 year old boy was on Concerta he too became very emotional and angry. In addition he was hardly every sleeping. I urge you to talk to your doctor about switching him to something else.

My son takes a combination of adderal rx 15 mg and strattera 25 mg. He is happy almost all the time now. The two meds seem to rid each other of side effects. He is eating, sleeping and doing good at school.

Talk to your doctor soon for your son's sake.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #4

scarlet44 HB User

I am new to this sight but I have searching everrywhere for info on concerta and I ran across your posting. Your son's teacher said if she didn't see some improvement she would have to hold him back? By this point in the school year if he were going to fail you should already know; either he knows the material and can make it in 2nd grade or he doesn't and a repeat would be best. I don't think his teacher can just threaten you like that, even if he has a terrible temper and doesn't pay attention, if he knows the material he has to move on. I know I am just rambling but that really made me mad(his teacher) I am a first grade teacher too and normally you know by Feb or so if they will be able to go on to 2nd or not.What state are you in? I fyou don't want to answer I understand I was just curious to see if your laws were the same as ours in TX.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #5

MelMel0529 HB User
Smile Re: help with my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmluvlp
Please help me with my son.....first he was on Adderall and it made him really layed back and he wasnt eating so i took him back to the doctor...they put him on concerta....he started off on 27mg..that didnt work so they upped it to 56mg..that didnt work so i took him back to the doctor and they put him on a 18mg with the 56mg......that really didnt work either....i dont know what else to do....he is voliet towards his siblings...and also me....he calls me bad names.....at school, he isnt doing well.....his teacher said he is going to have to stay back in the first grade again if he doesnt do better....i am working with him and his teacher is also...if she sees a big improvement in him, she said she will pass him....so i am praying.......he really needs to learn some respect towards me and when my boyfriend comes down......he treats him bad sometimes.....so could you please help me.......his doctor says he might need to be on some kind of mood med......i dont know....i dont want him taking to much.....so what do you suggest......

My son sounds alot like you son. Recently my son was diagnosed with Bipolar. Which i thought they were crazy. Well if you do any research on children that have bipolar; i bet you will see that your son has the same symptoms. You talking about the meds not helping. Well it wasn't helping my son either. After doing research I found out that you can't just treat the ADHD and not the bipolar. It makes it worse or seem like it isn't helping(which i was finding with my son) But they can be treated together. My sons moods where up and down. He even went as far as to attacking me one day. He treats his sister badly. That is what the Bipolar is a mood thing and if doesn't get treated by the time they are an adult the result can be dangerous for them. There moods will be worse than they are now. They can have suicidle thoughts and more. I am still learning. But when i read your post; i was thinking OMG this sounds like my son. They say that children that have ADHD most generally have Bipolar. It is just something to think about and maybe ask your doctor. Keep in touch. I would be curious as to what happens with you and your child. Good Luck

Old 07-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #6

dadwhocares HB User

I want to start off by giving you some background on my situation. I have 2 boys and a girl currently my sons are 11 and 10 and my daughter is 9. When my youngest son was 4 his mother and I separated. He always seemed to fidget a little while we were together but nothing to severe. Within one month of our separation she was telling me how uncontrolable he was and she took him to a doctor and begged to have him put on ritalin. I was against it and so was the doctor but she is a very convincing woman so it was done. Now he is taking 72mg of concerta. He is now 10 and I get him every weekend. I have only seen prescriptions for 36mg so that is what he gets when I have him. when I pick him up he has just taken 72mg of the medication and he is usually wired, he yells alot, picks at his brother and sister, and is hard to deal with. As the day goes on we have learned that we have to give him ways to spend his energy. NOT PLAYSTATION OR TV. The following day he wakes up and is very calm and is able to entertain himself. I took him fishing a few weeks ago and he was wonderful without his medication. I had him this weekend and did not give him his medication until noon. By 12:30 he was bouncing off of the walls. My opinion is that all kids have energy and some are able to bottle up that energy better than most, for those that can't we need to help them spend that energy. I go swimming with my kids, we go bowling, fishing, skating and all kinds of other stuff. By the time we are done they are worn out. By no means am I saying that your child does not need medication but I feel that as parents we should make it our responsibility to make medication the last resort. My son has even learned to like having someone read to him, any time we are in the car my wife reads to my kids rather than listening to the radio. She stops after every chapter to ask them if they want her to continue and they always say yes. I do feel that my son has ADHD and his mom drugs him while I give him different outlets to spend his energy. I wish you the best!

Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #7

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

Just a thought- I'm working on my degree in child development and the professors often stress that ADD can be over-diagnosed in kids. You're doctor may have a point that he may need mood medication. He may have something along the lines of a conduct disorder, which from what I've learned can appear in young kids and early childhood. I find children can be automatically diagnosed with ADD w/o looking into other possibilities. The first grade seems so young to be on so many behavior meds. Just to see, it'd be a consideration to take your son to a psychiatrist and discuss his behavior with that doctor. If the medicine isn't working, then maybe ADD isn't the problem. I'd explore your options of what could be wrong with your son before you let anyone convince you he needs to be medicated if you feel it isn't working.
~Into the Woods

Closed Thread