It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #1

Aspen1957 HB User
Just Diagnosed W/Adult ADD

I am 46 and was just recently diagnosed with Adult ADD. I have been on Strattera for 9 days. I have never posted much on message boards...so am new to this, too! I would just like to hear from others with ADD to learn more about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed W/Adult ADD

Hi, Aspen! Welcome to the board.

Like you, I'm an adult with ADD, not diagnosed until my forties but I've obviously had it all along. Hopefully, we will all learn from each other. Feel free to jump right in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
(male)

vasdef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen1957
I am 46 and was just recently diagnosed with Adult ADD. I have been on Strattera for 9 days. I have never posted much on message boards...so am new to this, too! I would just like to hear from others with ADD to learn more about this.

Hi Aspen, I too have been diagnosed with ADD, I'm 39. I've been taking Strattera for 3 weeks now. I seem to see a little difference, I'm able to focus at work a bit better, but I'm still scatterbrained and unorganized. I also take Provigil for Narcolepsy. From what I've been reading, supposedly Strattera and Provigil have a synergetic effect with each other. So, any extra help would be great if its true. Have you had any side effects from the Strattera? I basically get dry mouth.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #4

Aspen1957 HB User

So far I have not really noticed any side effects...maybe a little dry mouth. I am very thankful for that because I have a tendency to have side effects from meds. The last couple of nights I have been able to sleep much better. That is the only change I have noticed so far but I am thinking I probably haven't taken it long enough yet to make much difference.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #5

scarlet44 HB User

I am also new to this message board. I have just found out I am ADHD and dyslexic; no wonder school was always so hard!! I am a first grade teacher and could see myself in all the kids I have in class that are ADHD so I went to dr and did alot of test. I first started taking stratera and hated it.I literally could not hold my eyes open. I have been on Concerta for over a week now and I hate it too. I have been so depressed and have cried over everything and I can't stop being sleepy. Has anyone else had symptoms like this after taking concerta? Everything I have read has said the exact opposite, that people have trouble going to sleep. Other than that I can't tell anything has changed at all. I'm starting to think I will never find the right medicine for my depression and the ADHD. I know it's only been a few weeks but I have dealt with finding the right depression medicine for over 2years now but my dr. thought maybe a lot of the depression was from being so frustrated all the time from the adhd and dyslexia. Does anyone have any encouraging advice?? by the way I'm 28 female

Last edited by scarlet44; 03-22-2004 at 12:49 PM.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
(female)

Cleo1978 HB User
Cool Re: Just Diagnosed W/Adult ADD

Hello all
I am new to all of this aswell. I only got my diagnoses last summer, and i have never been more relived, finally i had an explenation about my life and it felt great. I was started on ritalin straight away and i´ve been on it ever since it works fantasticly for me i take 2 tablets x 3 times a day i think thats about 60mg. I havent had any sideaffects to mention . The only thing im having problems with is remembering to take my pills.

Cleo Iceland

Old 04-06-2004, 05:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo1978
The only thing im having problems with is remembering to take my pills.
Digital watches are amazingly helpful for this kind of problem, there are even ones with multiple alarms so you can set it to however many times you need to take the meds

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 04-06-2004, 05:42 AM   #8
(female)

Cleo1978 HB User
Talking Re: Just Diagnosed W/Adult ADD

Thanks for the tip Redhead Only problem there is remembering to use the clock and wear it i am so bad about this that i have every orginizing tool availble to man..... but i cant remember to use the or i get bored with them really quickly.... so you can say that people like me are incourageble

Old 04-06-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo1978
Thanks for the tip Redhead Only problem there is remembering to use the clock and wear it
LOL - I used to have a digital wristwatch when I was on "the pill" and if it went off and I was not able to *immediately* take it, I promptly forgot again.

I've only just started the Ritalin trial and so far I do not have any probs remembering to take them, however I can't guarantee what will happen once the novelty wears off...

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 04-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #10

rntkid HB User
Unhappy Re: Just Diagnosed W/Adult ADD

Greetings,

I'm brand new to the Boards, too. I am a 53-year-old female who finally went to a doctor for my ADD about six months ago. I've tried Adderal, Concerta and Strattera. Adderal worked the best but made me very irritable and angry and also have insomnia. Concerta didn't seem to do anything but keep me up at night and make me more depressed than usual. Strattera let me sleep but did nothing for the ADD--and I was depressed and constipated. Now I'm trying Provigil. I'm up to 400 mg and told the doctor I don't think it is helping. He said to give it more time. He also just put me on Lexapro for the depression--I'm taking 1/4 of the pill before I go to bed because it makes me tired. He said the tiredness will go away. I met someone last year who said he had ADD until he gave up sugar. I'm a devout chocoholic, but I decided to give it a try a few months ago. I have been off all refined foods since then. I don't think it made a difference, but I do notice other improvements so I'll stick with it for now. I'm getting discouraged at this point. Glad I have all of you to share with--I've never done this before.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Hi and Welcome to all you "newbies" - glad to have you onboard!

Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #12

daverr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet44
Does anyone have any encouraging advice??
Scarlett,

I don't know what doctors in the US are doing by my doc put me on Dexedrine and I haven't had any problems. I get a little worked up now and then, causing myself alot of stress over nothing but other than that and the drymouth, life is good.

I wish I knew what I can do to help. I used to think myself into severe depression when left with too much time on my hands. I know that it's helped me alot to involve myself in different activities that take up most of my time. I'm very lucky to have a job that I absolutely love doing. The rest of my time I spend by myself either reading or doing something else to relieve the stress and let me ignore the world around me. We all have to spend some time on ourselves at some point. It sounds to me like you might need a lifestyle adjustment. I can only imagine how stressful being a 1st grade teacher can be. Think about what you can do to change how you spend your time. Set personal goals for yourself just like you do for your students.

Really, it sounds to me like you need to stop thinking about what's wrong with you and start concentrating on what's right. It's been my experience that most people with ADD are unbelievably creative and talented...nurture your creativity, show your talent.

I hope this helps you, at least a little.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
(female)

Flighty Bird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasdef
Hi Aspen, I too have been diagnosed with ADD, I'm 39. I've been taking Strattera for 3 weeks now. I seem to see a little difference, I'm able to focus at work a bit better, but I'm still scatterbrained and unorganized. I also take Provigil for Narcolepsy. From what I've been reading, supposedly Strattera and Provigil have a synergetic effect with each other. So, any extra help would be great if its true. Have you had any side effects from the Strattera? I basically get dry mouth.
Hi Vasdef. I am new to this forum, and I have ADD to. Recently diagnosed, age 23, ADD-inattentive. My question-- do you remember where you read about the synergistic relationship between Provigil and Strattera? I would love to read about this!!

Old 05-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Scarlett,

I indentified with every reply. I thought I might be top geezer but I'm tied at 53.

Words of encouragement: You have no idea yet just how good you are. Once you get the right combination of meds and coping skills, you will simply dazzle yourself. The best illustration I can give is it is like a man born blind with sight restored at age 53.

addprogrammer

Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #15
(female)

char15c HB User

Have you ever tried taking adderall or ritalin? Since they are central nervous system stimulants, it probably won't make you tired.

Closed Thread