It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
(male)

strat_user HB User
Stratera thoughts

I'm a 36 year old male who was diagnosed with ADD roughly 4 months ago. My problems included forgetfulness, being scatterbrained, procrastination, being late to things frequently, and major disorganization. As an adult, I never experienced the hyper-activity, but I just may not have noticed. I was started on Stratera at 25 mg. This is the first time I've taken meds. At first it seemed like a whole new world was opening up to me. I seemed to have a new desire to be organized and to start and finish things. My memory also improved. I moved on to 50 mg per day, then 75 mg on to my current 100 mg per day. I'm 6-5, and weigh approx. 270, so my doctor thought the high dose would work due to my size. We just kept increasing because I kept telling the doctor that I was having small improvements, but wasn't where I wanted to be.

My observations:
- started out great. now don't nearly have as many "good" days
- I seem emotionless at times. I have a hard time feeling happy. My wife
tells me that I seem flat all of the time.
- When I do get emotional, it's anger. I blow up.
- My focus seems introverted. I dwell more on my thoughts than what I'm
doing. I focus more on the things I feel that are "bad".
- Many times I feel unmotivated. I spent the whole weekend laying around and napping more than usual.
- I feel sluggish at times like I'm walking in cement
- I have occasional body tingles
Side effects:
- Have a tired spell about mid-day. I take my meds in the morning.
- seem to focus more on non-important things
Sexual side effects:
- none of the "out of sinc" orgasms/ejaculation
- do have a more trouble gaining/maintaining erection
- more intense orgasm, less intense ejaculation, some times there is pain following orgasm/ejaculation
- do not have urinary discomfort others have listed

I go back to the doctor this week and am planning on discussing trying something else or at the very least cutting back from 100 mg. per day. Has anyone else developed similar problems as you've increased the daily dosage?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 05:18 AM   #2

liquidchakra HB User
Re: Stratera thoughts

I am on 40 mg, and have been for two months now. I've noticed that the medication doesn't seem to be as forceful as it had been in the past, but it still works, and I know that If I go off of it, I'll go right back to the way I was. Even at this minimal level, the benifits are still great.

I still have the out of synch issues and the difficulty with keeping it up after a bit of use, but I've found that even one drink really helps this out alot. It seems counterproductive, but it does work for me.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 AM   #3

Vinfiniti HB User

I'm a 29 yo male who was recently diagnosed with ADD and I also started Stratera as my first medication in response to it. After 3 months and upping the dosage to 100mg from 40mg I also have stopped. I was/am suffering from the same sweet of ailments as you describe, forgetfullness, inablility to get things started, procrastination...I dont even want to go there.

The Stratera was working great for me so I thought, the first month was just as you described, a whole new world was available to me and I was ready for the challenge, but after 3 months, I was still forgetting to take the meds occasionally and the "good days" were just about used up.

I now attribute the great beginning to a combination of therapy and the diagnoses, the realization that there might be a bit of life that I am missing and my eagerness to get involved in it. The strattera was helping I think, but not enough.

At any rate, I stopped cold turkey, gave myself 30 days and I just took my first 18mg dose of Concerta. Let's see how this does.

I am unsure of exactly what ails me or what I need, but I figure 3 months on this and if Im not happy, then it will be 3 months on Aderall and then maybe Ridalin....I'll let you know how it goes.

V

Old 03-31-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
(male)

strat_user HB User

I'm going to the doctor today to get off Stratera and try to find something better for me. I've just been feeling too lousey lately. I find myself being more depressed if I do something wrong. I tend to dwell on the worst case scenario for a long time. Plus I feel unmotivated pretty much all the time. If I didn't have a job to go to every morning, I think I would have a hard time getting out of bed. Weekends are a ***** that way. All I seem to want to do is sleep. I'll post my results.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #5

Yggdrasil HB User
Question Re: Stratera thoughts

25 year old male, just started Strattera. working up to 75 mg/day. Day 1 was 25 Day 2 (today) was 50. Minimal side effects - slight drowsiness paired with a weird immediate alertness when I choose to stop drowsing- also maybe a tad of flatulence but hey coulda been the cabbage.
I am already on 18mg concerta 4 tabs/ day (3 morning 1 midday)

too early to tell any results... maybe more focus but i didnt have much work to do today or tasks that would be affected by my ADD. Will keep you all posted on what happens.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

strat_user HB User

I'm now tappering off Stratera for one week. 60 mg for 2 days, 40 mg for 3 days and 25 mg for 2 days. I'm day 2 into the 40 mg and feel much better. I need to wait one week after stopping the Stratera then will start Adderall. We'll see how that goes...

Old 04-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #7

energy1 HB User
Stratera thoughts

I am a 29 year old male who just started Strattera back in November 2003. I started out at 40mg, then advanced to 80. At first I thought it was working, but I think I may have been just talking myself into that misconception. I ended it after 2 months as I didnt see much improvement in concentration and "scatterbrain-ness", plus my co-pays were $50!

Side Effects included:
--Orgasm felt less intense, and is more effort to stay erect.
--I had ejaculation right before and after orgasm and trouble urinating.
--twinges of pain in penis

So Ive been off for about 3 weeks now, but still feeling the side effects such as the slight penis pain. Orgasm is back to normal, but still took a good 2 weeks after stopping medication. Anyone else have side effects even after going off??

Old 04-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
(male)

strat_user HB User

Today is my last day of "ramping down" from 100 mg to being off Stratera. I'm on 25 mg today. Last night I was dizzy for most of the night. Today, I feel great. I actually have happy thoughts going through my head that will cause me to smile out of the blue. It's been months since that has happened! Tommorow I'm off completely then start Adderall a week later.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
(male)

strat_user HB User

I started the Adderall XR today. I don't know if I feel different or not. I think I'm more focused, but it may just be from knowing that I started something new. I do know that after one day, I don't have any side affects! I certainly don't feel like I'm on speed or anything like that. I'm taking the minimum dosage right now. My doctor believes in taking it slow.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
(male)

strat_user HB User

I don't plan on posting a reply every day, but want to post things I notice when first on a new med. Today was the first time that I had to sit through any lengthy meetings since I started on Adderall XR. I made it through one that was 2.5 hours and was pretty attentive throughout.

Also, compared to Strattera, I'm not feeling as flat emotionally. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, so good!

Old 04-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #11

acronymsrfun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_user
I don't plan on posting a reply every day, but want to post things I notice when first on a new med. Today was the first time that I had to sit through any lengthy meetings since I started on Adderall XR. I made it through one that was 2.5 hours and was pretty attentive throughout.

Also, compared to Strattera, I'm not feeling as flat emotionally. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, so good!
I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say..pretty similar experiences but I'm still on 75 mg of strattera right now... 2 in morning 1 in afternoon...

Thinking of switching to ritalin or adderal

Old 04-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #12
(male)

strat_user HB User

I should change the thread to "Adderall Thoughts". I've been on Adderall XR for about a week now. So far, so good. I had the desire to get a lot of projects started and finished over the weekend. I worked in the yard all day Saturday and felt great. And best of all...I didn't get bored in the middle of any of my projects and quit! The only limiting factor is that I did so much on Sat., that age kicked in on Sunday morning and I was pretty stiff.

I've also had the desire to chase my wife around the house, so I'm not seeing any sexual side effects.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #13
(male)

strat_user HB User

I just picked up a copy of the book 'You mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy'. What I find interesting is how the book is formatted for us ADD folks. It has short paragraphs, large print and so far I've noticed that they don't carry sentences over from one page to the next. Interesting. It's amazing how the more I learn about ADD, the more I'm able to recognize my own episodes (couldn't think of a better word). As I'm reading, I now recognize almost the instant that I lose concentration. I will be reading along fine, then the next paragraph I will realize that I can't focus on the pargraph from start to finish. I will find myself skipping from sentence to sentence and viewing all the words as a whole rather than following the sentences. It's wild, but kind of cool at the same time. Once I recognize it, I feel I can work on it.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #14

mainecouple HB User

I tried strattera about 8 months ago. i immediately noticed sexual side affects...like within 8 hours of taking my first dose. The out of sync orgasm/ejaculation happened first, then within a day or 2 the pain after ejaculation came. needless to say, after about a week of that was enough for me. i have limits, and i have lines in the sand that i don't want to cross. and one of them is medicine that significantly changes anything sexual in my body. just don't like the whole idea of it.

i then went on 30mg of adderall XR. That has been and still is great. I'm still on the same dose, and it is fantastic. i know can focus much better, and the extra energy boost is also great. i couldn't be more pleased. the only side affect i have noticed is that when the dose wears off and i start coming down, i get extremely aroused and am generally hunting down the wife. that side affect i can live with

good luck,
b

Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #15

acronymsrfun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecouple
I tried strattera about 8 months ago. i immediately noticed sexual side affects...like within 8 hours of taking my first dose. The out of sync orgasm/ejaculation happened first, then within a day or 2 the pain after ejaculation came. needless to say, after about a week of that was enough for me. i have limits, and i have lines in the sand that i don't want to cross. and one of them is medicine that significantly changes anything sexual in my body. just don't like the whole idea of it.

i then went on 30mg of adderall XR. That has been and still is great. I'm still on the same dose, and it is fantastic. i know can focus much better, and the extra energy boost is also great. i couldn't be more pleased. the only side affect i have noticed is that when the dose wears off and i start coming down, i get extremely aroused and am generally hunting down the wife. that side affect i can live with

good luck,
b
Haha...nice, I wouldn't mind living with that sorta side effect. With strattera, I noticed that initial out of sync orgasm only in the first 3 days. Then after that it was somewhat reduced in sensation for a week, then everything went back to normal. There were also a few instances where it was hard to initiate urinating. This too disappeared after a week or two.
The main thing I'm wondering, did you ever experience episodes of fatigue and tiredness while on the strattera?
Also, do you get those episodes on Adderal?

Thanks!

Closed Thread