It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #1

marisasmom HB User
To FreeSpirit - Omega's for child

Hi Freespirit,
I am fairly new to the board but get the impression that you are of the same mindset that I am about natural therapies for ADD. So I wanted to ask your opinion. I have recently taken my 7 yr old little girl off of Stratterra due to headaches, tiredness, lack of appetite, weight loss and extreme mood swings. I am not comfortable with stimulants and therefore am looking for natural treatment. We tried Becalm'd previously, with some result, but I don't think we gave it enough time or took a high enough dosage. I was trying to make the bottle last for economical reasons. We also did not supplement EFA's with the Becalm'd either and from everything I have read, EFA's are extremely important for brain function. Anyway, I am going to order some more Becalm'd and give it another try, but in the meantime I purchased an Omega 3, 6 and 9 supplement for her today at the health food store. It is made by a company called "Health from the Sun" and the product is called "Total EFA junior". I wanted to know if you think the dosage of each omega is high enough for any results. I have seen many different products with many different levels of each type of omega. Evidently the same company has a product called "Attention" that is an omega supplement with vitamins added, but it does not have the combination of ALA,GLA, EPA and DHA that I have heard is necessary. I couldn't find it at the store either.
(By the way, my daughter is small for her age and weighs about 36 lbs..not sure if that matters regarding the dose of EFA's)

The product I purchased contains - per one capsule:

Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA- omega 3) 91 mg
Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA - omega 6) 40 mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA - omega 3) 29 mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA - omega 3) 19 mg
Linoleic Acid (omega 6 ) 80 mg
Oleic Acid (omega 9) 65 mg

It contains certified organic flax seed oil, borage seed oil, fish oil, gelatin, gylcerin and mixed tocopherols.
The recommended dosage for my daughters age (3 yrs to 7 yrs) is 1 to 2 capsules a day. Do you think this dose is sufficient with 1 capsule? Should I have her take 2 capsules a day? More than 2?

I also bought something called "Focus" for children made by Solaray, to use until the Becalm'd comes. It contains per 1 chewable tablet:

Lecithin 25mg
l- tryptophan (griffonia simplicifolia bean) 50mg
DMAE 25mg
L-tyrosine 25mg
OPC (grape seed extract) 10mg

Do you think this product has any potential? The dosage states 1 tablet 1 or 2 times a day. My daughter hates chewable flavored tablets so it will be hard to get her to take this supplement. I found on the Solaray website that they also make "Focus" for Adults in a capsule. The ingredients are a little different and the level of L-Tyrosine ias 12 times higher (300mg) and it contains GABA, but I have emailed the company to ask their opinion on whether or not the adult version can be given to children.
Sorry so much info, just wanted to get your opinion. Any information will be appreciated.

Last edited by marisasmom; 03-28-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 08:34 AM   #2

layney HB User
Re: To FreeSpirit - Omega's for child

Hey, marias mom and free spirit, I am just posting to say I am interested in this too, so any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 5 year old son who hasn't been dx'ed yet but I highly suspect may be ADHD. I have had suspicions for about 6 months now, but my husband didn't see it until recently and still is in denial. He is adamantly opposed to medicating our child, and I do agree with him, but we both recognize a need for some sort of control before he starts school. Have either of you heard of Learning Factors? I have been reading about this supplement, it sounds promising, but I would love some feedback. Also, I am curious about diet modification and any results, good or bad. Anyways, good luck mariasmom and let us know how you guys are doing!

Closed Thread