It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User
Teacher's aid wants your advice

I'm a teacher's aid and would like to know that if you could choose the best teacher's aid for your ADD/ADHD, what would you be looking for?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Teacher's aid wants your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaiement
I'm a teacher's aid and would like to know that if you could choose the best teacher's aid for your ADD/ADHD, what would you be looking for?
If I could choose a teacher's aid for my child, I'd choose YOU because you care enough to ask this question! You are obviously caring and wanting to do your best and I think you'll be excellent because of those qualitities.

If administration was asking this question, I'd say the best teacher's aid would be educated about ADD (so many people think that kid's could pay attention or write neater if they just wanted to - it just doesn't work that way), they'd be compassionate, they'd be patient, and they'd be willing to dispense endless POSITIVE reinforcement (my son can't get enough!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaiement
Hi,

Normally I'm a lurker to the ADD/HD board. I'm a regular on the Epilepsy board however. But, I had to respond to this one...

The Best Teacher's Aid would be a person who understands that all children do not fit the same mold whether they have AD/HD or not.

This person would be knowledgable in Sensory Intergration Dysfunction. They would understand that very child processes incoming information differently, not just from an educational point, but what they see, touch, and smell, as all these areas may affect the childs ability to orginize the educational material being presented.

They would understand that the tag in the back of a new shirt may drive one child wild to the point of disruption were the child next to them may never notice. They would understand that the child who shoves and pushes in the lunch line may not be a bully, but a child who startles easily when bumped from behind and is simply reacting in a "Fight or Flight" response and rather then being punished should simply be moved to the back of the line...

Please read the book "The Out-of-Sync Child". It will give you wonderful insite in how the nerves system processes the world around us! Children with ADD/HD, Epilepsy, CP, Autism all deal with issues related to the nerves system... You may run into nay-sayers on that one, but I've lived it.

My dd, now 15 was treated for years for ADD. Only to discover after her baby brother (13 years younger) started having Grand Mals - that what we were treating was not ADD after all, but a type of seizure/epilepsy. Once we identified the CORRECT problem life became much easier for her and myself as her mother.

Good luck to you! And KUDOS for striving to be the best you can in your profession! I wish everyone teaching the worlds children showed such concern!

Love and light

Lisa and kids

Jake 12/31/01 Epilepsy, Sensory Intergration Dysfunction
Jenny 1/12/89 Epilepsy, ADD, Sensory Intergration Dysfunction
Steve 3/27/86 GOD - he's 18, nothing that time wont take care of

Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

I agree with the two above posters. In fact, I am going to get the suggested book and give it to my son's teacher. I don't think she is into positive reinforcement, just punishment. Even though she is fully aware of my son's situation.

I will add to always communicate with the parents, always.

Vanessa

Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Hi Vanessa,

Get 2 copies... Keep one for yourself! I wish SOSO bad I had this information when Jenny was younger.

Little did I realize that her swinging upside down for 30 minutes provided the stimuli her nerves system needed to be able to sit still long enough to read or color in the following hour...

Or the fact that she wouldn't leave her hair up in a pony tail wasn't because she wanted to be a tangle headed wild child, but the fact that when it was pulled up she felt as if all the hair on her head was standing on end and it drove her nuts!

Life would have been so much better for both of us if I had had this information 14 - 15 years ago!

Lucky for Jake, I've read the book! I have also passed it around to several parents who's children are being treated for ADD/HD!

Good luck to you and Cooper!

Love and light

Lisa and kids

Old 03-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
Smile Re: Teacher's aid wants your advice

Lisa, when I looked on Amazon, it looks like the book is all about kids with SIDs. Would the book include information on dealing with ADHD because that is definitely what Cooper has? He takes Strattera and Adderall RX to manage his symptoms.

His teacher was well aware at the beginning of second grade what was going on with him, but she focuses on the negative and is not good on informing me when problems occur until they reach a breaking point. This is after numerous discussions I have had with her regarding keeping me aware. Sometimes he behaves really well at home and not at school. She is aware of this too. I want to give her a book that will help her understand. There is another little boy in his class with Ashperger's (sp?). He is very quite though so he doesn't cause a problem, where as my son is all over the place when his medicine is not working.

What kind of test determine whether or not it's sensory instead of ADHD?

Many thanks,
Vanessa

Old 03-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User

Thank you. I'll sure try to find the book. Are there other recommended books for ADD/ADHD?

I'm sure I will come here again in the future when I will have questions. I know that people who live it knows best.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Hi folks,

Just wanted to clearify a bit on the book I mentioned. This book deals *IN DETAIL* sensory intergration dysfunction. It is not written toward ADD/HD outside of the fact that often ADD/HD children have SID as well and many families are not aware of this... Including myself until a few months ago.

However, it is my personal experiance and the experiance of families around me that led me to believe that SID is a HUGE factor for ADD/HD children.

Meds like Strattera (although a non stimulant), Adderall RX, Concerta all deliver external stimuli to the nerves system, allowing the child/adult to be able to attend to task rather than seek stimuli externally (ie: movement, touching, etc).

By teaching Jenny she can either provide needed stimuli or in some cases reducing it she has more control over the situation.

She often studies and reads hanging over the end of her bed with the book on the floor and swings her legs as she goes. This position helps her receive and organize incoming information better therefore she remembers it better. When I was making her sit at the desk, she had problems with recall because she was moving around so much.

She will stay in her seat for a few seconds after the bell to change classes, allowing the "crush" of people as she calls it to move past the doorway. This keeps her from feeling closter phobic/panicked at the start of the next class. By controlling the number of bodies "crushing" her during class changes she arrives at her next class without a feeling of panic. This in turn allows her to focus more fully on the materials presented at the start of class.

I know that your little guy is young and doesn't change classes but, he still has situations that he has to deal with every day. By understanding what drives his behavior in a given situation you may be able to help him learn to deal with the "trigger" before or as it is happening.

If he's getting into trouble because he can't stay in his seat during quiet time, maybe a weighted lap pad or book across his legs. He would have to move the weight in order to get up, the lap pad is a reminder that this is a time I need to remain in my seat or maybe he can erase the chalkboard before settling down for quiet time - this would allow him a quick stretch and bit of movement. Or if he sits in the back of the class maybe the movement of his classmates in front of him distracts him. If this were the case I would ask if he could be moved to the head of the row - removing the visual stimuli in front of him.

To answer your about how to find out if he truly has SID you can contact an Occupational Therapist trained in SID to evaluate him. There are children who are placed on meds for ADD/HD who once they start working with a therapist and learn some behavior modifications can come off meds and do very well!

Jenny has been off Concerta since Nov. 03 and doing great! We did run into the whole panic thing during and following class changes (as a side note we determined the panic is worse during her cycle) - but with just a little knowledge and change in her own behavior she has over come that problem.

It takes talking to your child in detail about why they are doing what they do... Hang in there Vanessa, you and Cooper do great I'm sure! You are doing the right thing by him in seeking answers! Be ready to have this conversation over and over for awhile. At first he may not be able or willing to tell you what does it. I got, ..."I don't know" over and over again.

Until I found a better way to ask - rather then "Jenny, why can't you sit at the desk for even 2 minutes?" to which I always got "I don't know" - I asked her, "How are you most comfortable when you study, what do you think helps you remember best?" to which I got "After I run or rollerblade for a bit and working on the floor!" I can go with that. I let her run before homework and she does it hanging upside down!

Check the book out at the library first run through the checklists. I found that I could identify with many of these issues in myself!

Love and light to all our children.

Lisa and kids

Old 03-31-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
Inactive

Coopersmom HB User

Lisa, thank you so much for all the information. A lot of what you described sounds like my son. I have bought him a weighted blanket that he sleeps with at night. I am going to get the book and read it and then pass it on to his teacher.

I really appreciate all your insight.

Vanessa

Old 04-01-2004, 07:07 AM   #10
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Hi Vanessa,

NOT a problem. It takes a village to raise a child... I feel like the village elder some days! We lived this battle every day for years with Jenny, and given Jake's issues I know in my soul we are on the same track. If I had this information when Jen was young, our lives would have been so much easier! We have also spent months and months working with ped neurologists and the drug companies trying to get Jake back on track!

Most of what I've learned about SID came from this book. There is a follow up book called "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun". This book gives just page after page of fun activities and helpful hints that help these children adjust to the "normal" world.

We've really tried to be aware of Jake's learning style, he needs all the help we can give him from the get-go! At just over 2 he is already 15 mths behind. The drugs he has to take for seizures are horrid. He lives in a fog most of the time because of them, and the neuros are already telling us the we should expect ADD/HD at the very least with him, if we can get seizure control. If we don't get control, the out look for his life is not good! As my oldest says; "He'll be on the short bus to school"! We will be starting the Ketoganic Diet with him on April 12 with a 5 day hospital stay and 2 day fast. We are so hoping this works and we can get him off some drugs and remain seizure free!!! But, his issues are for a different forum!

Anyway, again - happy to help! Keep me posted on Cooper's progress. I'll check back from time to time. If you don't get a response here - pop over to the Epilepsy board (here on HealthBoards) and give me a yell, I spend more time there!

Love and light to all our children!

Lisa and kids

Closed Thread