It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Bad short term memory...ADD?

I have a terrible short term memory (but an impeccable long term memory); sometimes I can't remember things people tell me a few hours earlier. I honestly had no idea where to post this...is this a sign of ADD? (Note: I am 16)

Dark Stranger

Old 04-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
(male)

strat_user HB User
Re: Bad short term memory...ADD?

This sounds exactly what I go through. I lived with this for 35 years before I got tested and diagnosed with inattentive ADD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

It's only a sign of ADD if it has always been present (before age 7) and goes alongside many other symptoms indicative of AD/HD (i.e. on its own it could be caused by a million other things, even just stress, hormones, or drug/alcohol use).

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

If this is your only symptom, Dark Stranger, I'd probably say that ADD is unlikely in your case. Here's a website that will tell you more about the symptoms of ADD as well as other disorders that can cause ADD symptoms:
[url]http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm#adhd3[/url]
(Because it is a .gov website, it should be okay to post).

Old 04-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Hi Dark Stranger,

Short term memory loss can also be a sign of seizure activity. We treated my 15 year old daughter for ADD for years only to learn that what she has is Complex Partical seizures. There are 2 major classes of seizures and up to 30 different sub-classes. Not all of them are what we refer to in our home as "Hollywood" seizures (Grand Mals).

Other things you might want to think about are unaccounted time loss, anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes is common. Although some people only seize or "check out" as my dd says for 3 to 10 seconds. Unexplained sores in the mouth or tounge - this is caused by tighening of the jaw muscles during black outs. High accounts of Deja Vu are also a big indicator of both complex partical and simple partical, as well as unexplained smells, or ringing in the ears...

Please talk to your Dr. Someone your age should not have short term memory loss without a medical or drug use explaination. Talk to your parenets let them help you!

Good luck,

Lisa

Old 04-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #6

Dornico HB User

Lisa,

Very interesting..

My 16 y/o son had a seizure in November. He's been treated and diagnosed with ADD since he's 6. He currently takes Adderall XR 25mgs. His Neurologist performed 2 EEGS, one in his office and then an overnighter, as well as EKG, MRI and blood tests. The Dr. at this time wants to take a wait and see approach. Although, the EEG did show some seizure activity. I've felt a little uncomfortable with this. Now, that you've mentioned some of the other symptoms, I'm thinking again. The smells...we've always thought they were Auras that come before a migraine.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Hi Dornico,

I'm at the office with a very tight deadline at the moment... I want to talk to you though.

Will write more tonight! Migraines are linked to seizure activity in some people as well - during the postictal stage (post seizure headaches) and yes, smells are a seizure aura! We probably would not have caught Jenny's if we hadn't had our baby Jake (2 yrs old) who does have the Hollywood Type - Grand Mals...

If your son showed any seizure activity on the EEG why are they waiting to start anticonvalsants? Jenny's EEGs are always clean, we have never caught anything on her's. Jake's on the other hand has always shown abnormal activity.

Give me more detail if possible... what type of seizure, what was going on with your son at the time, stress, change, rest, eating etc... any of which could have triggered the seizure you mentioned. Is he driving? Please be careful there - please!!!

Love and light to all our children,

Lisa and kids

Old 04-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #8

Dornico HB User

Lisa,

Thank you for responding.

At the time of the seizure he was actualy in the process of being dischraged from the Hospital after being treated for Kidney Stones. He was feeling fine since passing them the day before, so he was up & around and walking the halls. Anyway, that morning after his examination the Doc. signed his discharge papers. My son got up and went into the bathroom to change, the next thing I here is a loud bang..followed by another. I called out to him asking if he was ok and no response. I opened the door and there he is my 6' son lying on the floor with his eyes rolling and his arms and legs jerking, as though he was reaching out. He also hit his head on either the sink or the commode and had a huge egg.

The staff Dr. took his blood pressure which was off the chart and an EKG that was normal. My son fell almost immediately into a deep sleep. Very scary. A few hours later they did an EEG that was normal. The staff DR. said that he might have experienced a shyncopy (sp) or a reaction to not taking his Adderall XR for the time he was in the hospital. I discounted the last due to the fact that he doesn't take it over the summer or on school holidays. I did however make an immediate apppointment with his neurologist. My son has no memory of the seizure, but does recall feeling like he was having an outer body experience just prior to the episode.

His neurologist thinks that this might have been a one time only experience and that to treat it at this point might be jumping ahead of ourselves. My son's pedetrician also agrees with the neuro. I'm not sure that I do. As for the name of the seizure I don't remember him giving me one. I'll definitely be doing some research. He's not driving yet, as he just turned 16 & we live in New York. The DR. did recommend that he not do any boxing and always wear a helmut while skateboarding etc.

Any info. or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dorene

Closed Thread